Overall Rank = 25/25
Age Group = 65-69 F
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Bike
  • 54m 55s
  • 12.42 miles
  • 13.57 mile/hr
Comments:

My road race was, well, an excellent LT training. My TT times were close to, a little better than, those of the 74-year old woman and the 80-something man, so I thought we might ride in a little group. Indeed we might have; they started a bit ahead and were often in catching distance, but I had a few mishaps. The course included a long fast (fun!) downhill followed by a hairpin turn and then a comparable uphill. It was my fault: I had gone there to ride the course previously but had misread the map, so didn't practice this. My road bike does not like shifting into the small chain ring under a load; on the first loop the chain came off; on the second loop I shifted into the middle chain ring before the turn but it initially wouldn't shift to the smallest on the uphill even when I relaxed the load; only on the 3rd loop did I shift into the smallest before the turn and have no problems. In addition, after the second loop the road marshals, not knowing I was a lap behind, were shouting for me to continue towards the finish and, although I knew I had another lap, there was some delay (especially as there was another cyclist stopped for some reason at the intersection) .
So the long & short of it is I finished DFL about 30 seconds behind my 2 peers, and never after the 1st couple of minutes rode in a group. However, in looking at my HR path when I got home, I saw that it danced around the LT the entire way, so I can see the ride as just a good workout. I should also say that my finish was strong & I sprinted the last half-mile or so, chanting my new mantra "don't ride like a sissy! suffer.. suffer..suffer" Also that riding up that long hill I retained enough awareness to be awed by the beauty of the masses of wild daisies growing by the roadside.
What would you do differently?:

1) Check out the course correctly before the race.
2) LBS, where I had both derailleurs adjusted just last week, says I should replace the chain. Even though it is almost new and not stretched out.
3) Hill work!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched & rolled. Recoverite drink, banana, yogurt with rhubarb.

Last updated: 2014-04-19 12:00 AM
Biking
00:54:55 | 12.42 miles | 13.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 25/25
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: A lollipop with a triangle at the lollipop end. The triangle included a long fast (fun!) downhill followed by a hairpin turn and then a comparable uphill, which was done 3 times before heading back to the finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 7:54 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Empire State Sr Games RR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Empire State Sr Games RR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Empire State Sr Games TT2

Started by ok2try
Views: 580 Posts: 1

2014-06-09 7:28 PM ok2try

Empire State Sr Games-Cycling TT1

Started by ok2try
Views: 623 Posts: 1

2014-06-09 7:24 PM ok2try

Empire State Games Time Trial

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 1094 Posts: 1

2007-08-01 12:07 AM NYtrigal

Empire State Games - Master's Road Race

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 1225 Posts: 8

2005-07-31 5:18 PM max

Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 965 Posts: 4

2005-07-30 2:52 PM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.