General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kicking and Splashing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 1:36 PM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
Subject: Kicking and Splashing
Background: New pool at gym. 3 – 15 meter lanes set up for lap swimming. It is salt water too, which I really like. There are very few “serious” swimmers. I dropped out of masters swimming at another pool because this gym, which includes the pool, is $20/month.

I’m there going through my workout which usually involves kicking and pulling at 5:30am. In the lane beside me is a 55ish guy - power walking laps. I’m 41 male.

So I’m kicking w/ my short fins and I’m splashing a fair amount as you can imagine. I guess the power walking guy didn't like the splashing and as I pass him he takes his arm and splashes me w/ a wave of water in anger.

I stop and we exchange pleasantries. His argument went something like “I was splashing too much,” mine was “we are swimming in a lap pool and splashing occurs.” I was splitting a lane at the time and that guy diffuses the situation by switching sides w/ me. I had been in the middle lane on the side of walker when splash occurred. I continue my kicking set and then the rest of my workout.

If this guy would have asked me nicely, I probably would have stopped or tried to lessen the kick or something. However, I suspect I won’t change a thing now after his childlike reaction. If possible I’ll be happy to take a lane away from him but there are only 3 so choice is limited. And we are on the same schedule so we will meet again.

My question is: am I being a jerk? How accommodating do I need to be in this situation? Or am I entitled to my workout the way it is and he should suck it up? Masters folks wouldn’t blink, nor would I. But this isn’t master’s class. Thoughts? Suggestions?

2014-06-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: CWAY

User image

Subject: RE: Kicking and Splashing
if you're in a pool then you should expect to get splashed. I'm not sure what you mean by a lot of splashing... if you have an efficient kick there shouldn't be excessive splashing. (I'm not sure how fins play into this since I don't use them often)
2014-06-10 2:23 PM

User image

Welcome to the pool!!!!  I don't think you're being a jerk especially based on the way the guy handled it.  But then again I've had that same ecounter a few times myself.  It's usually with an older lady though upset about their hair.

I'll never understand the I'm in the pool, don't get me wet.  If it was somehow excessive splashing then a simple, polite request is all that's needed to remedy.

2014-06-10 2:25 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by bigevilgrape

if you're in a pool then you should expect to get splashed. I'm not sure what you mean by a lot of splashing... if you have an efficient kick there shouldn't be excessive splashing. (I'm not sure how fins play into this since I don't use them often)

X2, its wet in a pool . unless you are doing some serious sprint training, you shouldn't be splashing a whole lot. Your feet shouldn't break the surface of the water. If you are doing flip turns especially with fins you are probably splashing a bit. I try to keep a lane between me and non lap swimmers, I also know if you need to share lanes it can get dicey, as you nave to gauge the other swimmers ability and consider other bodies. Circle swim with 4-5 people in a lane and you will know the pains.
2014-06-10 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

When I was in college, we had a name for any day when some one in the pool didn't like splashing...

Butterfly day.

2014-06-10 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I bet he'd be mad if you walked on his grass too.

Mark

2014-06-10 2:47 PM

Originally posted by CWAY

Background: New pool at gym. 3 – 15 meter lanes set up for lap swimming. It is salt water too, which I really like. There are very few “serious” swimmers. I dropped out of masters swimming at another pool because this gym, which includes the pool, is $20/month.

3 x 15m lanes. You are going to have lots of lane sharing stories. I can't wait until you circle swim in a 15m pool.
2014-06-10 3:09 PM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA
The fins being so short make them stiff and they seem to splash more than my last pair. My feet barely break the surface but they do make a kick induced splash. The splashing doesn't seem excessive for being in masters for the last 5 years but it probably is from other's perspective.

I do commend this guy on his workout, it seems tough but...

At least it usually isn't crowded at this time of day. If it was, I'd have a tough time and think about going back to 25 meter pool.
2014-06-10 4:32 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by Sidney Porter
Originally posted by CWAY Background: New pool at gym. 3 – 15 meter lanes set up for lap swimming. It is salt water too, which I really like. There are very few “serious” swimmers. I dropped out of masters swimming at another pool because this gym, which includes the pool, is $20/month.
3 x 15m lanes. You are going to have lots of lane sharing stories. I can't wait until you circle swim in a 15m pool.

That's what jumped out at me as well. What kind of gym has a 15m pool? I can see it in a hotel, but in a gym? That would drive me crazy.

2014-06-10 4:43 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by Sidney Porter
Originally posted by CWAY Background: New pool at gym. 3 – 15 meter lanes set up for lap swimming. It is salt water too, which I really like. There are very few “serious” swimmers. I dropped out of masters swimming at another pool because this gym, which includes the pool, is $20/month.

That's what jumped out at me as well. What kind of gym has a 15m pool? I can see it in a hotel, but in a gym? That would drive me crazy.

I am guessing a 20 buck a month one...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kicking and Splashing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

correcting wide kick or scissors kick Pages: 1 2

Started by melbo55
Views: 4034 Posts: 31

2014-01-22 9:49 AM tjfry

Two beat kick vs Flutter Kick

Started by gohmdoree
Views: 3875 Posts: 16

2012-06-28 12:23 PM Oldteen

When kicking is just splashing. Pages: 1 2

Started by vabeachnut1
Views: 3102 Posts: 32

2011-04-21 1:34 AM ionlylooklazy

Splash or no splash?

Started by The Nat
Views: 853 Posts: 12

2008-12-13 12:00 AM jimryunsshortshorts

Kicking & Not Kicking - 50yd Difference Experiment

Started by trimore
Views: 1657 Posts: 9

2008-11-07 12:52 PM nevergivin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill
date : June 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.

date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 2, 2005
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.