General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using my Garmin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-10 2:44 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: Using my Garmin
Hey folks. My wife got me the Garmin 910XT for my B-day. My first race of the season is coming up. My question is. How should I go about using it on race day if I want to track my entire race? Do I leave it in one mode and hit the lap button at the start and end of the transitions? Or do I actually switch from Swim to Bike to Run and just factor in my transition times ??

Thank you,

Jerry

2014-06-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: SoberTriGuy

Subject: RE: Using my Garmin
This post will tell you everything you need to know about your watch.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth...

Find the multisport mode section for details on racing setup.
2014-06-10 3:01 PM

User image

Miami
There is a multsport mode build in the watch.

I am talking from the top of my head right now, but if you go to Training (from any sport mode), you can select the multisport mode. You will be able to select the sports that you want to do (swim+bike+run, run+bike+run, any other combination with or without transitions). After you set it up the way you want, select done and you will go to the main screen. Hit start to start your first sport and lap to switch from one sport to another. At the end, hit stop to finish your workout/race.

For a better explanation not only about the multisport mode, but also about everything you can do with the watch, check this website: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth...

2014-06-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Thanks you!!
2014-06-10 3:18 PM

User image

I used my 910 for the first time in a race this past weekend. I forgot to hit start until after I rounded the first buoy and forgot to hit the lap button until i was already in T2. I read from several sources to practice using the Multisport mode a few times ahead of the race to get used to it. I did not do this and accordingly fumbled with it during the race. So I would recommend practicing a few times during brick workouts just to get used to fiddling with the watch.
2014-06-10 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Definitely practice it a few times.
As mentioned, you need to enable the auto-multisport and then hit start. That messes up a lot of people. Then, during each sport, you will land on a foreign screen that shows the total race time. You can scroll up.down to see the screens you have already set up (or the default ones). In any case, play with it a bunch so you'll be comfortable and not confused by it on race day.
While it is best to perhaps set up a transition zone and do a super short dress rehearsal for your race, that is not necessary if you've already raced a bunch of tris before. In that case, just sit there with the watch and hit a bunch of buttons...play with the auto-multisport. Its a cool feature...use it well!

2014-06-10 10:16 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Like others have posted I too have forgotten to hit start and lap at various stages. Just too many other things going through my mind I guess. So the suggestion to practice during your workouts is a good one so that it becomes routine.
2014-06-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: Ranski

Originally posted by Ranski

Like others have posted I too have forgotten to hit start and lap at various stages. Just too many other things going through my mind I guess. So the suggestion to practice during your workouts is a good one so that it becomes routine.

x2

I tried the multisport mode on race day for the first time. I remembered to hit the button at the appropriate time, but that apparently filled up my brain's computing capacity and I made an embarrassing mistake during T2 into the run. (Let's just say my run time would have been faster while not carrying my bike helmet).

Other than that though, it worked like a dream.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using my Garmin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Using Virtual Partner on Garmin 500 (or any other Garmin)

Started by tri808
Views: 1766 Posts: 3

2012-05-05 6:53 AM TankBoy

Garmin 310xt Uses???

Started by pitbullzz
Views: 443 Posts: 1

2010-02-19 9:18 PM pitbullzz

using another HR monitor with a Garmin

Started by elbi999
Views: 684 Posts: 4

2009-08-23 7:43 AM elbi999

Garmin 305 Uses

Started by hornsfan
Views: 524 Posts: 4

2009-06-17 4:40 PM LostSheep

Using a Garmin for a Triathlon...

Started by Lumber Dad
Views: 1817 Posts: 24

2009-03-10 3:59 PM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : June 18, 2008
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.