General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lower Township, New Jersey
United States
DelMoSports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 18s
Overall Rank = 27/506
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/34
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4, ate, went for a jog, got the body started, stretched. Psyching myself up for my first olympic tri
Event warmup:

Sat on the ferry. I had read about the wait on the ferry so I was prepared for the wait with drink and nutrition. Eventually got out of wetsuit after a while.
Swim
  • 16m 55s
  • 1760 yards
  • 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good in the water and comfortable in my wetsuit. Was able to cruise and have a good swim. It was a little tough to site from so far away because there were people all over the place. End was tricky because it got shallow and you had to debate whether to jump and dive or run. I did a combination of the two.

Some people swam to shore early and ran along the beach. I was not a fan of that.
What would you do differently?:

Train...one swim in the past month.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Long run to transition. I was able to pass a half dozen or so people. First issue -- forgot how far in I was on the rack. I was early out of the water so all the bikes were still racked. Got suit off well and it was looking like a good transition but had issues with my helmet. the straps weren't even so it was super uncomfortable. I had to take it off and adjust things.

Jumped on my bike and couldn't get my feet in the clips. Got passed by two guys right at the start.

Adjust helmet before race. Buy new clips for my shoes (they are almost worn out). Practice getting feet in clips.
Bike
  • 53m 9s
  • 20 miles
  • 22.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike. My best bike ride of this distance ever. As usual, my weakest segment. Only got passed by tri bikes. One day....

Train more...common theme
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Killer Transition. 2nd fastest in the whole race. This tends to be my strongest transition

Not much. Went super smooth
Run
  • 35m 47s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This course was interesting, but it really was mentally tough. I could have really done without the sand. Was nervous about the sand because my soles are loose on my running shoes and I thought I would get lumps of sand in them.

It was tough though, hot and tough.

This is typically my strongest leg, but I felt pretty flat. I can't complain based on the training I've had.

Train. I ran more in this race then I have in the past 6 weeks (not including a previous race).
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on my butt and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Nothing more, nothing less. I couldn't have asked for much more for my first Olympic. Definitely a different change of pace from the Sprints.

Event comments:

Another Delmo race, another awesome experience. If you haven't done a Delmo race, do one. You wont' regret it.

Last updated: 2014-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:55 | 1760 yards | 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 15/506
Performance: Good
Suit: Full body
Course: Straight from ferry. Shallow finish
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:53:09 | 20 miles | 22.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 76/506
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Mostly flat, some turns, some hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:47 | 05 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/34
Overall: 20/506
Performance: Below average
Course: quarter mile on grass/asphalt, half mile on soft sand, 1.5 miles on asphalt, 1 mile on sand, remaining on asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-10 7:30 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-06-11 8:09 AM
in reply to: #5010405

User image

Subject: RE: Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course
Congrats on yout first Oly finish. It looks like an awesome race. Hope to be able to do it some day.

Don't stress too much about a tri bike....it is like owning a B.O.A.T - Break Out Another Thousand (Maybe not Thousand, but at lease another hundred)

My only suggestion is to buy your first one used. I found mine here on BT. Slowtwitch has a ton too. You will probably find the best deal toward the end of the season or early in the calendar year (January - March).

Good luck!
2014-06-12 8:56 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course
Definitely worth doing if you can make it to New Jersey -- great experience, great company that puts on the race.

Thanks for the advice on the used tri-bike. Never thought about going that route. I will definitely keep an eye out on them.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape The Cape Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by tpleff
Views: 858 Posts: 1

2014-06-10 10:09 AM tpleff

Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 921 Posts: 1

2014-06-09 10:51 AM C_Hassard

Escape The Cape Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by rtritsch
Views: 1094 Posts: 1

2013-08-09 2:17 PM rtritsch

Started by kdandrea
Views: 2246 Posts: 3

2013-06-13 7:09 AM kdandrea

Started by tpleff
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2013-06-02 8:25 PM tpleff
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.