Other Resources The Political Joe » Eric Cantor defeated by TEA Party rival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-06-11 1:47 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Eric Cantor defeated by TEA Party rival
I'll be very interested to see what direction this sends the GOP.

I know there were many within the GOP who were saying that after the last election that the solution was to move the party even further to the right, and to them, this must seem like a clear signal that they were correct. My own view is that, while there are probably lots of moderates who agree with the TP and the Right that more fiscal restraint is necessary, I still maintain that the overwhelming majority aren't willing to compromise so-called "social issues" (abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.) even if it means having a more fiscally responsible government.

I think that whoever the next GOP candidate for president is, they'll need to be able to convince those middle-of-the-road voters that they aren't trying to impose their so-called "traditional" views as it relates to those social issues, on everyone else. I think a GOP candidate who comes in preaching fiscal restraint and smaller government, but pledges to let the states and voters decide on their own about abortion, ssm, etc, has a good chance of winning. The minute they say "marriage means 'a man and a woman'" or start talking about "personhood", it's all over, and it'll be four more years for the Dems.

My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday

2014-06-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Eric Cantor defeated by TEA Party rival

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'll be very interested to see what direction this sends the GOP. I know there were many within the GOP who were saying that after the last election that the solution was to move the party even further to the right, and to them, this must seem like a clear signal that they were correct. My own view is that, while there are probably lots of moderates who agree with the TP and the Right that more fiscal restraint is necessary, I still maintain that the overwhelming majority aren't willing to compromise so-called "social issues" (abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.) even if it means having a more fiscally responsible government. I think that whoever the next GOP candidate for president is, they'll need to be able to convince those middle-of-the-road voters that they aren't trying to impose their so-called "traditional" views as it relates to those social issues, on everyone else. I think a GOP candidate who comes in preaching fiscal restraint and smaller government, but pledges to let the states and voters decide on their own about abortion, ssm, etc, has a good chance of winning. The minute they say "marriage means 'a man and a woman'" or start talking about "personhood", it's all over, and it'll be four more years for the Dems. My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday

Here we go....

I actually agree with everything you wrote. Glad to see things shaken up a bit and hopefully it put the holy fear into guys like Boehner and McConnell, McCain, Graham, etc. And yes, I think the only chance for the GOP is to run someone who leaves the social issues off the table. I would gladly vote for a fiscal and regulatory conservative that left the social issues up to the state.

Hopefully this primary is a sign that people are ready to vote for a candidate like that, but I am not so sure. It was amazing to me how many people I talked to in 2012 that voted based on social issues. It seems like that is everyone's fall back when they go to vote. Perhaps it is the easy way out. Rather than spend the time and do the research on the various candidates, people just pick their favorite social project and then vote based on that. Abortion, SSM, you name it, seems like nothing else matters to a lot of people, it is just easier to vote for however agrees with their view on whichever topic.

I can't believe how many people still vote based on the abortion issue. Both parties have had a lot of control over the last 14 years and the laws on abortion have gone absolutely nowhere. I really don't see Roe V. Wade being overturned anytime soon so how bout vote for a candidate based on fiscal and foreign policy rather than their pro-life or pro-choice status? 

The dems know all this, and they know that society is trending toward them on social issues so they will attempt to make 2016 all about the social issues. It will be very difficult for an opposing candidate to avoid the social issues. Sure at first they can say leave it up to the state, but the dems will keep pushing until they get the sound bite they need and then it will be all over. 

I think the best shot the GOP had at getting control back was to have full implementation of Obamacare and for the whole thing to blow up like I think it is destined to do before 2016. But they have allowed the White House to push things back past the election so now I don't know that I see much of a shakeup happening in 2016.

The other issue is older GOP voters are very stuck on social issues as well. My own parents are heavily swayed by social issues. We had a long discussion at the last Idaho State primary. Ron Paul aligned closest with their beliefs and ideas but they voted for Romney because Paul didn't take a hard enough line on abortion. Going to be hard to get people out of that rut. So if you get someone through the primary that isn't running on social issues they will still get beat in the general when the old white people don't show up to vote because the GOP guy didn't go hard line on abortion or SSM. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-06-11 2:28 PM
2014-06-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I really don't see Roe V. Wade being overturned anytime soon so how bout vote for a candidate based on fiscal and foreign policy rather than their pro-life or pro-choice status? 

I know so many people who vote based SOLOLY on this issue. 25 of them are my aunts and cousins alone. My mom laughs because even with complete control of all 3 houses they still can not get it past.

Honestly I feel as well as my mom that its a purely to get votes issue. If they did not have this issue far less would vote for them so they really do not want to do anything.
2014-06-11 2:41 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I almost forgot. It was a primary so I am sure low voter turn out. If everyone assumed he was going to win so no one came out to vote hard core voters for the other guy could win it.
2014-06-11 4:08 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Boise
It will probably lead to an increase in guys like this.

"Men were commanded to put guilty parties to death who were guilty of certain acts, like homosexuality," Esk wrote, according to screenshots archived by the news site.

“So just to be clear, you think we should execute homosexuals (presumably by stoning)?” another commenter asked.

"I think we would be totally in the right to do it," Esk replied. "That goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian, but ignoring as a nation things that are worthy of death is very remiss.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/scott...
2014-06-11 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'll be very interested to see what direction this sends the GOP. I know there were many within the GOP who were saying that after the last election that the solution was to move the party even further to the right, and to them, this must seem like a clear signal that they were correct. My own view is that, while there are probably lots of moderates who agree with the TP and the Right that more fiscal restraint is necessary, I still maintain that the overwhelming majority aren't willing to compromise so-called "social issues" (abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.) even if it means having a more fiscally responsible government. I think that whoever the next GOP candidate for president is, they'll need to be able to convince those middle-of-the-road voters that they aren't trying to impose their so-called "traditional" views as it relates to those social issues, on everyone else. I think a GOP candidate who comes in preaching fiscal restraint and smaller government, but pledges to let the states and voters decide on their own about abortion, ssm, etc, has a good chance of winning. The minute they say "marriage means 'a man and a woman'" or start talking about "personhood", it's all over, and it'll be four more years for the Dems. My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday

Here we go....

I actually agree with everything you wrote. Glad to see things shaken up a bit and hopefully it put the holy fear into guys like Boehner and McConnell, McCain, Graham, etc. And yes, I think the only chance for the GOP is to run someone who leaves the social issues off the table. I would gladly vote for a fiscal and regulatory conservative that left the social issues up to the state.

Hopefully this primary is a sign that people are ready to vote for a candidate like that, but I am not so sure. It was amazing to me how many people I talked to in 2012 that voted based on social issues. It seems like that is everyone's fall back when they go to vote. Perhaps it is the easy way out. Rather than spend the time and do the research on the various candidates, people just pick their favorite social project and then vote based on that. Abortion, SSM, you name it, seems like nothing else matters to a lot of people, it is just easier to vote for however agrees with their view on whichever topic.

I can't believe how many people still vote based on the abortion issue. Both parties have had a lot of control over the last 14 years and the laws on abortion have gone absolutely nowhere. I really don't see Roe V. Wade being overturned anytime soon so how bout vote for a candidate based on fiscal and foreign policy rather than their pro-life or pro-choice status? 

The dems know all this, and they know that society is trending toward them on social issues so they will attempt to make 2016 all about the social issues. It will be very difficult for an opposing candidate to avoid the social issues. Sure at first they can say leave it up to the state, but the dems will keep pushing until they get the sound bite they need and then it will be all over. 

I think the best shot the GOP had at getting control back was to have full implementation of Obamacare and for the whole thing to blow up like I think it is destined to do before 2016. But they have allowed the White House to push things back past the election so now I don't know that I see much of a shakeup happening in 2016.

The other issue is older GOP voters are very stuck on social issues as well. My own parents are heavily swayed by social issues. We had a long discussion at the last Idaho State primary. Ron Paul aligned closest with their beliefs and ideas but they voted for Romney because Paul didn't take a hard enough line on abortion. Going to be hard to get people out of that rut. So if you get someone through the primary that isn't running on social issues they will still get beat in the general when the old white people don't show up to vote because the GOP guy didn't go hard line on abortion or SSM. 

It's not exactly true that the abortion laws have gone nowhere. There's been quite a bit of legislation chipping away at, if not women's right to have an abortion, certainly their access to it, which amounts to the same thing. All of which just further galvanizes pro-choice voters to try to keep a pro-life candidate out of the White House

2014-06-12 6:45 AM

New user
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I'll be very interested to see what direction this sends the GOP.

I know there were many within the GOP who were saying that after the last election that the solution was to move the party even further to the right, and to them, this must seem like a clear signal that they were correct. My own view is that, while there are probably lots of moderates who agree with the TP and the Right that more fiscal restraint is necessary, I still maintain that the overwhelming majority aren't willing to compromise so-called "social issues" (abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.) even if it means having a more fiscally responsible government.

I think that whoever the next GOP candidate for president is, they'll need to be able to convince those middle-of-the-road voters that they aren't trying to impose their so-called "traditional" views as it relates to those social issues, on everyone else. I think a GOP candidate who comes in preaching fiscal restraint and smaller government, but pledges to let the states and voters decide on their own about abortion, ssm, etc, has a good chance of winning. The minute they say "marriage means 'a man and a woman'" or start talking about "personhood", it's all over, and it'll be four more years for the Dems.

My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday

It would be nice if social issues left to the states, but the fed. has usurped that power from the states. When a state tries to restrict abortion a fed court shoots it down, same with marriage definitions. So by default it is a national issue. That said, the big issues are fiscal and illegal immigration.
2014-06-12 7:54 AM

User image

And government is functioning now?

Peter King's concern is my hope. Before the Tea Party was hijacked by national and local consultants fielding half cocked candidates running on fringe issues, it was about grassroots activism and a strong skepticism against crony capitalism. Brat's primary victory was a grassroots victory and a rejection of the Washington political establishment....I hope the trend continues in November.

2014-06-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Jackemy1

Peter King's concern is my hope. Before the Tea Party was hijacked by national and local consultants fielding half cocked candidates running on fringe issues, it was about grassroots activism and a strong skepticism against crony capitalism. Brat's primary victory was a grassroots victory and a rejection of the Washington political establishment....I hope the trend continues in November.

Even some in the clearly biased liberal media are praising this. Using this is an example that you can beat established crony capitalist and encouraging there listeners to run against incubates in Washington. Probably easiest place for grassroots to win.
2014-06-12 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Well, that's kind of the rub, isn't it? If the Tea Party of today was anything like what the TP was originally supposed to be--ie, dedicated to smaller government and fiscal restraint, it would be a different ball game. Sadly, the TP has been co-opted as a brand name that is used by the most conservative wing of the party, running, as you said, fringe candidates on fringe issues. It really doesn't relate at all anymore to what the tea party was supposed to be. (By the way, the same think will happen to the Libertarian brand name, if they aren't careful.) Anyway, most voters aren't going to bother tryingn to parse out whether a particular TP candidate is the "original recipe" TP or the extra-conservative TP. They're going to assume they're the latter (since most them them are now) and vote another way.
2014-06-12 2:38 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday
And government is functioning now? Peter King's concern is my hope. Before the Tea Party was hijacked by national and local consultants fielding half cocked candidates running on fringe issues, it was about grassroots activism and a strong skepticism against crony capitalism. Brat's primary victory was a grassroots victory and a rejection of the Washington political establishment....I hope the trend continues in November.

That was my thought to... I WANT the government to stop. Because what it is doing right now is destructive. I long for the good old days of Washington grid lock... well except you have a President that continues to push the power of Executive order and just do stuff himself. A truly disfunctional government.

The only problem this country has is social issues. That is the whole thing stopping up the works. The social conservatives have ruined politics.... but that is only because I identify with a "conservative" government... which really means Libertarian.... let people live how they want, keep the government out of it, small, and responsible.

Yet...the opposite is true too... the left is no better... everyone must accept alternate lifestyles... every one must abolish traditional ideas or thoughts. You must accept and respect everything diversity... it isn't so much that I disagree with some of it... it is just the same thing the religious people have been doing... trying to cram your moral code down my throat. And the only thing that does is make the other side fight harder... and so it continues.

The TEA party itself was a very good thing in the beginning. When the "Neo Cons" got beat... all the social conservatives re branded to the TEA party. The TEA party was not about social issues... but today that is exactly what it is identified as... social conservative wackos that just want to shut down the government. Such a shame.

I am OK with some "conservative" standing up and saying enough... on issues of the government that is. Economy, government power, the size and reach of the government, fiscal irresponsibility... but yet here we are... the TEA party gets mentioned... and this thread is already on the way to being hijacked over abortion. Ridiculous.

2014-06-12 5:32 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn My concern, with the Cantor defeat, is that it's going to embolden the TP and further intimidate the rest of the GOP into knuckling under to appease them. And I'm not alone, apparently: "My concern is that the Ted Cruz supporters, the Rand Paul supporters, are going to use this as an excuse to basically stop the government from functioning," Representative Peter King, Republican of New York, told MSNBC's Morning Joe on Wednesday
And government is functioning now? Peter King's concern is my hope. Before the Tea Party was hijacked by national and local consultants fielding half cocked candidates running on fringe issues, it was about grassroots activism and a strong skepticism against crony capitalism. Brat's primary victory was a grassroots victory and a rejection of the Washington political establishment....I hope the trend continues in November.
Well, that's kind of the rub, isn't it? If the Tea Party of today was anything like what the TP was originally supposed to be--ie, dedicated to smaller government and fiscal restraint, it would be a different ball game. Sadly, the TP has been co-opted as a brand name that is used by the most conservative wing of the party, running, as you said, fringe candidates on fringe issues. It really doesn't relate at all anymore to what the tea party was supposed to be. (By the way, the same think will happen to the Libertarian brand name, if they aren't careful.) Anyway, most voters aren't going to bother tryingn to parse out whether a particular TP candidate is the "original recipe" TP or the extra-conservative TP. They're going to assume they're the latter (since most them them are now) and vote another way.

Yeah, I would bet that almost all of us would support the original TP ideas because they had nothing to do with social issues other than everyone having their individual rights per the constitution.

Then as you mentioned the stupid hijacking by the ideologs.
“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” - Eric Hoffer

One thing about Brat though.  There are a lot of people who are trying to label him as a TP guy and of course the TP is doing everything they can do now to say that he's "their guy".  
However, there wasn't a single TP organization outside of the local Richmond TP office (probably 2 people working there) that endorsed him.  He couldn't get an endorsement or any money from any of the national TP organizations or frontmen, so I have a hard time calling him a TP candidate.

I honestly don't know a lot about him, but one thing I can say.  Being a guy who studied and continues to push for Ethics in the public square and an Economics professor is exactly what we need more of in Washington.  lol

Fingers crossed that he doesn't get corrupted too quickly, assuming he wins in November.

2014-06-12 6:07 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by powerman

That was my thought to... I WANT the government to stop. Because what it is doing right now is destructive. I long for the good old days of Washington grid lock... well except you have a President that continues to push the power of Executive order and just do stuff himself. A truly disfunctional government.

The only problem this country has is social issues. That is the whole thing stopping up the works. The social conservatives have ruined politics.... but that is only because I identify with a "conservative" government... which really means Libertarian.... let people live how they want, keep the government out of it, small, and responsible.

Yet...the opposite is true too... the left is no better... everyone must accept alternate lifestyles... every one must abolish traditional ideas or thoughts. You must accept and respect everything diversity... it isn't so much that I disagree with some of it... it is just the same thing the religious people have been doing... trying to cram your moral code down my throat. And the only thing that does is make the other side fight harder... and so it continues.

The TEA party itself was a very good thing in the beginning. When the "Neo Cons" got beat... all the social conservatives re branded to the TEA party. The TEA party was not about social issues... but today that is exactly what it is identified as... social conservative wackos that just want to shut down the government. Such a shame.

I am OK with some "conservative" standing up and saying enough... on issues of the government that is. Economy, government power, the size and reach of the government, fiscal irresponsibility... but yet here we are... the TEA party gets mentioned... and this thread is already on the way to being hijacked over abortion. Ridiculous.

I agree completely, but I don't think it's as simple as removing "social issues" from politics because I'm not sure you can.

This is America and we all have the right to believe in what we want to believe in and do what we want to do as long as it doesn't trample on somebody elses rights.  Then again, do we really?
I can't walk down the street naked because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority, so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
I can't smoke in a public building because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority, so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
I can't marry another man because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority (in my state), so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
If I'm under 18 I cannot consent to anything because I'm not at a socially acceptable age, but not everyone agrees.

So, when you really break our government down, it's the social norms that establish our guidelines for our society.  The norms become the basis for all of our laws that govern us.  If we take away our laws it then becomes difficult to maintain order in our society.  So, the social normal need to exist before the laws are made and the laws need to reflect those social norms.

I like to use the example of Murder.  Probably 99.9% of people believe that murder is wrong and should be illegal and because pretty much everyone agrees it's bad we have harsh laws against it.

SSM is something that's more in the 50% range today (maybe more), but lets say 30 years ago it was 90% of people opposed it.  Because it was something that our society didn't support there were laws against it.  However, as opinions have changed over the past several decades our society has determined that it is more acceptable and we're in the process of our laws being changed to make it legal.  Unfortuantely some states are 60/40 one way and others are 40/60 the other way so we're in that weird gray zone of determining who gets to have their "social norm" put in place.

The pro-choice/life argument is another difficult one because there's a lot of support on both sides.  One side argues that a child has rights at the moment of conception, and others argue that there are no rights until birth.  Both have the right to have those opinions, but who gets to have the "majority opinion" that creates the social law that we all get to live by?  So, we spend decades as a nation spinning in the mud back and forth because society hasn't settled on a direction, so the laws/politicians follow in kind.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I think it is a little more complex than saying we need to remove "social issues" from politics because we can't.  If you look at all the hot button social issues out there, the reason that they're hot button is because they have a lot of support on both sides and there's not unanimous support one way or the other in society.

2014-06-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

I agree completely, but I don't think it's as simple as removing "social issues" from politics because I'm not sure you can.

This is America and we all have the right to believe in what we want to believe in and do what we want to do as long as it doesn't trample on somebody elses rights.  Then again, do we really?
I can't walk down the street naked because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority, so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
I can't smoke in a public building because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority, so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
I can't marry another man because it's considered socially unacceptable to the majority (in my state), so there's a law against it, but not everyone agrees
If I'm under 18 I cannot consent to anything because I'm not at a socially acceptable age, but not everyone agrees.

So, when you really break our government down, it's the social norms that establish our guidelines for our society.  The norms become the basis for all of our laws that govern us.  If we take away our laws it then becomes difficult to maintain order in our society.  So, the social normal need to exist before the laws are made and the laws need to reflect those social norms.

I like to use the example of Murder.  Probably 99.9% of people believe that murder is wrong and should be illegal and because pretty much everyone agrees it's bad we have harsh laws against it.

SSM is something that's more in the 50% range today (maybe more), but lets say 30 years ago it was 90% of people opposed it.  Because it was something that our society didn't support there were laws against it.  However, as opinions have changed over the past several decades our society has determined that it is more acceptable and we're in the process of our laws being changed to make it legal.  Unfortuantely some states are 60/40 one way and others are 40/60 the other way so we're in that weird gray zone of determining who gets to have their "social norm" put in place.

The pro-choice/life argument is another difficult one because there's a lot of support on both sides.  One side argues that a child has rights at the moment of conception, and others argue that there are no rights until birth.  Both have the right to have those opinions, but who gets to have the "majority opinion" that creates the social law that we all get to live by?  So, we spend decades as a nation spinning in the mud back and forth because society hasn't settled on a direction, so the laws/politicians follow in kind.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I think it is a little more complex than saying we need to remove "social issues" from politics because we can't.  If you look at all the hot button social issues out there, the reason that they're hot button is because they have a lot of support on both sides and there's not unanimous support one way or the other in society.

I'm not saying "we need to remove social issues" from politics. Not at all. What I'm saying is that many of the far-right conservatives' position on social issues are at odds with the beliefs of many of the more moderate republicans and so-called "Reagan Democrats" whose votes they need to win. If the GOP can stomach the idea of a candidate who is conservative fiscally, but less so on some of those social issues, they've got a good shot of winning the next election. But, if they continue to allow the staunchly pro-life, anti-ssm candidates to represent the party, they're going to lose. To your point, people's views on issues are changing and the GOP's faithful adherence to "traditional family values" is going to cost them the next election just like it cost them the last one if they don't recognize that an increasingly large percentage of voters aren't interested in having some old white guy dictate morality to them. They just want to know how he's going to fix the economy, protect th environment, and keep the country safe.
2014-06-13 7:13 AM

User image

]That was my thought to... I WANT the government to stop. Because what it is doing right now is destructive. I long for the good old days of Washington grid lock... well except you have a President that continues to push the power of Executive order and just do stuff himself. A truly disfunctional government.

From a Huffington Post article:

In his 2011 essay, Brat also criticized conservatives -- as well as liberals -- for inconsistency on their positions.

"The political Right likes to champion individual rights and individual liberty, but it has also worked to enforce morality in relation to abortion, gambling, and homosexuality," he wrote. "The Left likes to think of itself as the bulwark of progressive liberal individualism, and yet it seeks to progressively coerce others to fund every social program under the sun via majority rule."

Sounds like this Brat guy gets it.......Maybe he's been reading BT.
2014-06-13 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm not saying "we need to remove social issues" from politics. Not at all. What I'm saying is that many of the far-right conservatives' position on social issues are at odds with the beliefs of many of the more moderate republicans and so-called "Reagan Democrats" whose votes they need to win. If the GOP can stomach the idea of a candidate who is conservative fiscally, but less so on some of those social issues, they've got a good shot of winning the next election. But, if they continue to allow the staunchly pro-life, anti-ssm candidates to represent the party, they're going to lose. To your point, people's views on issues are changing and the GOP's faithful adherence to "traditional family values" is going to cost them the next election just like it cost them the last one if they don't recognize that an increasingly large percentage of voters aren't interested in having some old white guy dictate morality to them. They just want to know how he's going to fix the economy, protect th environment, and keep the country safe.

I know, I wasn't really saying anything directly towards you or Powerman, I was just trying to make more of a philosophical point. 

I genuinely try to think up solutions for various problems that we have in our government and for a while I would simply say we need to get social issues out of government, but the deeper I got the more I realized just how tricky that was.

I totally get what you're saying about conservative politicians, but I'm not 100% sold on it being as big of an issue as you think, but there's no question it has an effect.  I honestly think our elections are more about a popularity contest than they are issues based these days.
When I was 19 I voted for Clinton because he was cool, and that Bush guy lied about taxes...  "nobody lies to me, darn it".  I couldn't have told you one thing either one of them supported, but I sure liked Clinton playing the Saxophone.

When you look at the matchups over the past several years.
Obama (cool) vs. Romney (square) - the right hated Romney because he was a "centrist" and the republican base turnout was low.
Obama (cool) vs. McCain (square) - (Ironically, McCain was up pretty big on Obama the whole time until the financial collapse a month prior to the election)
Bush (cool) vs. Kerry (square)
Bush (cool) vs. Gore (square)
Clinton (cool) vs. Dole (square)
Clinton (cool) vs. Bush (square), Perot (weird) - Bush would have crushed Clinton (IMHO) if it weren't for Perot taking 20% of the vote
I don't know much about the elections before that, so I'll stop it there.

If anything the Democratic party showed the power of a young good looking candidate who can deliver a speech and rally people to a cause with Obama.  I think candidates like Cruz and Paul have that kind of appeal and will do quite well in the general election if they make it that far.
The Dems are at risk of putting up the "square" candidate this year with Hillary.  She's just an old rich white gal, much like the old rich white guy's in the past who always lost.  Obviously her other baggage doesn't help, and her husband (who I still like) does help.

Most of us here on BT do care about the issues and vote accordingly, however I think we're in the small minority overall.

2014-06-13 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Most of us here on BT do care about the issues and vote accordingly, however I think we're in the small minority overall

Not to change the subject but why is that ?
2014-06-13 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

If anything the Democratic party showed the power of a young good looking candidate who can deliver a speech and rally people to a cause with Obama.  I think candidates like Cruz and Paul have that kind of appeal and will do quite well in the general election if they make it that far.
The Dems are at risk of putting up the "square" candidate this year with Hillary.  She's just an old rich white gal, much like the old rich white guy's in the past who always lost.  Obviously her other baggage doesn't help, and her husband (who I still like) does help.

Most of us here on BT do care about the issues and vote accordingly, however I think we're in the small minority overall.

Talk about being behind the times. Geeze Tony, didn't you hear? She left the white house dead broke and pulled herself up by her bootstraps and made something of herself. She is the true American dream!

2014-06-13 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Denver

One interesting thing to me is that Brat's big thing, the thing that won him the really conservative voters which won him the election, wasn't immigration, his core message was anti-corporate welfare, anti-"crony-capitalism", and that's something that many liberals are vehemently opposed to too, although for different reasons.

2014-06-13 10:47 AM

User image

Elite

It is that simple. Just as you mention, these are social issues divided 50/50. We are not going to solve it. Too much energy placed in the wrong spot. the only wat to solve it is to just agree to disagree... and live and let live. Just about everyone universally agrees in "The Golden Rule" and live and let live... but that is not what politics has gotten too. We are all trying to cram our view of perfect down everyone elses throat. 

We need to work on what ewe can Federally and leave the rest to either the State or just the individual. Like immigration, economy, control.

If you don't believe in abortion or gay marriage... then don't have one. If you think people should should value diversity then by all means tell them that your self and lead by example. Enough with mandating it. If you feel college education should be free... by all means start paying for somebody's then.  Or work on getting that in your state... enough already with Big Brother Federal Government mandating how everyone should live.

2014-06-13 11:17 AM

New user

It is that simple. Just as you mention, these are social issues divided 50/50. We are not going to solve it. Too much energy placed in the wrong spot. the only wat to solve it is to just agree to disagree... and live and let live. Just about everyone universally agrees in "The Golden Rule" and live and let live... but that is not what politics has gotten too. We are all trying to cram our view of perfect down everyone elses throat. 

We need to work on what ewe can Federally and leave the rest to either the State or just the individual. Like immigration, economy, control.

If you don't believe in abortion or gay marriage... then don't have one. If you think people should should value diversity then by all means tell them that your self and lead by example. Enough with mandating it. If you feel college education should be free... by all means start paying for somebody's then.  Or work on getting that in your state... enough already with Big Brother Federal Government mandating how everyone should live.

People may "universally agree" in the "Golden Rule" but it is mostly just lip service. There are very few people who actually live their life that way.

2014-06-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by drewb8

One interesting thing to me is that Brat's big thing, the thing that won him the really conservative voters which won him the election, wasn't immigration, his core message was anti-corporate welfare, anti-"crony-capitalism", and that's something that many liberals are vehemently opposed to too, although for different reasons.

That's a great point. I remember back when the TP was just getting started, it was around the same time that Occupy Wall Street was happening. There was this much-publicized meeting of the leaders of both organizations (to the extent that OWS had any actual leadership) and the two groups concluded that they actually had quite a bit of ideology in common in terms of anti-corporate welfare and cronyism.
2014-06-13 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

>

I dunno. I don't see Cruz as having a particularly broad appeal. To me, he comes off as a pretty strongly-entrenched politician who hasn't shown much in the way of flexibility or willingness to reach across the aisle. He's almost become the poster child for the "party of no" with his famous "Green Eggs and Ham" filibuster. That's the other thing-- I think people are really looking for someone who's going to at least pay lip service to the idea of breaking this partisan gridlock that most people agree is stifling progress in our government. Cruz has been the architect, or at least the enthusiastic symbol of much of that gridlock, and that's going to be a hard rap for him to beat. I don't know Paul that well, so it's hard for me to say.

Hillary is also a strongly entrenched politician, and that definitely works against her in some quarters. What she has going for her is a) the "Clinton Factor", which still resonates with Democrats and young people, and, b) not for nothing, the fact that she's been so relentlessly villified by the Right has probably won her some sympathy points from voters who might otherwise not have voted for her.

As for voting for the issues, I'm not ashamed to admit that social issues matter to me. I want fiscal restraint and smaller government too, but I'm simply not going to vote for someone who believes that some Americans are entitled to fewer rights because of their sexual orientation, nor would I vote for someone who fails to honor the separation of church and state and wants to impose his religious views on people that don't share them. To me, those are not small things.
2014-06-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

I disagree.....

The core economic philosophy of American liberalism is crony capitalism. I mean, I know liberals like to dress it up with euphemisms like "green jobs", "clean industry", "too big to fail", "climate change" or any other term to justify a centrally driven economy to funnel resources to the well connected. But in the end the foundation of liberal economics is the incestuous relationship between big government and big business.....The very definitions of crony capitalism..

2014-06-13 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

That's a great point. I remember back when the TP was just getting started, it was around the same time that Occupy Wall Street was happening. There was this much-publicized meeting of the leaders of both organizations (to the extent that OWS had any actual leadership) and the two groups concluded that they actually had quite a bit of ideology in common in terms of anti-corporate welfare and cronyism.

This is one of the big reasons I think a Libertarian minded candidate has a really good shot of taking the election.  There's been a fundamental convergence between progressives, libertarians, and conservatives on issues such as anti-corporation, anti-federal reserve, anti-war, anti-big banks, anti-bailouts, etc...

The establishment republicans and the establishment Democrats are for the most part in support of all of these things (behind the scenes mostly) that are counter to their respective bases.

I think a big part of the appeal of Obama to the base was how much he was opposed to many of these issues, but ultimately in action he's been every bit as much an establishment guy (or more) than anyone before him.  Same thing with Bush, he can talk the talk all day long about cutting taxes and cutting government spending, but when the rubber hits the road, he's just another big spender bailing out big business and wall street.

Paul and Cruz are the only two guys that have been in the national scene who are "somewhat" libertarian minded.  I haven't seen anyone but establishment dudes on the Democrat side paraded out yet, but obviously we're still very early.

To your earlier point, Paul or Cruz would have to figure out a way to wade through the social issues waters, because there are people who care very deeply, and vote down those lines.  I don't think most people would have a problem with a president who is "pro-choice" per se' if he's not going to act on his personal beliefs and work to push it out of the federal government and onto the state level because it kind of makes sense.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Eric Cantor defeated by TEA Party rival Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

IRS To Tea Party: Sorry We Targeted You And Your Tax Status Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by DanielG
Views: 8172 Posts: 95

2013-07-19 12:03 PM tuwood

Ricin Guy - TEA Party Member Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4846 Posts: 46

2013-04-24 10:53 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Recent studies have demonstrated that moderate to mild levels of caffeine (less than 300mg) do not promote dehydration during exercise.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Your Past is History but the present determines your future. From the book 'Be here now' by Dr. Richard Alpert