General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ohio St Beach OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-12 4:43 AM

Subject: Ohio St Beach OWS
I'm thinking of trying to do my very first OWS this weekend, and first off, I am completely terrified!

I've heard that in Chicago, Ohio St Beach is the place to be. Are there any other spots along the lake that are good? Do the lockers at Ohio St tend to fill up during peak times? Is there a good or bad time to go (especially if I'm by myself)? And last, if I'm training for a sprint (750m), how far do I need to work my way up to? I heard there were buoys that are labeled, but I've never noticed any markers while running or biking past...

Thanks for any and all advice!

2014-06-12 6:15 AM
in reply to: hjbo

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Ohio St Beach OWS
During peak times, the lockers do tend to fill up, and there is a line to swap out. They also move pretty fast, generally.

Your best bet to get your feet wet is probably to do one of the Chicago Triathlon's swim clinics. The first one is tomorrow, 6-13, at mid-day, and includes beer for a nominal fee. I did one of the clinics last year, and it was a great learning experience and a great way to understand how Ohio works.
2014-06-12 7:22 AM

Chicago

I'm in the Chicago Tri Club and we're doing an OWS clinic this Saturday morning. And we have somebody out there doing gear watch for our members on summer Sat mornings. I know a few groups who swim farther south (closer to Jackson Park) and there's always Open Water Chicago who swims at Ladder One. 

I don't know about current lake levels, but in the past you've been able to stand up almost the entire swim from Ohio St Beach. CTC had a group out on Memorial Day already and the water temp has been coming in around 61. The buoys are 1/4 and 1/2 mile. 

2014-06-12 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5011162

Thanks..!

I'm signed up for a Fleet Feet clinic next Thursday morning, so hopefully that will help.

Unfortunately I work full-time and can't make the event tomorrow afternoon. I'm also moving across the country at the end of July, so I probably won't join the Tri Club at this point (although I wish I had known about it sooner; I definitely would have joined a couple months ago!). I'm assuming the event Saturday is for members only?

I'll keep looking around for more clinics and info sessions!
2014-06-12 8:06 AM

Chicago

Yeah, I believe the clinic this Sat is only for members. But there's almost 20 of us signed up so you'd have plenty of company if you decided to swim on your own. lol Good luck! 

2014-06-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #5011212

Haha I'll be the awkward girl taking longer to put on my wetsuit than actually swimming!

Is the water really shallow enough that you can stand up most of the way? So if I need to stop and catch my breath, I could just stop swimming for a minute and stand at the bottom? That makes it sound MUCH less scary!

2014-06-12 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by hjbo

Haha I'll be the awkward girl taking longer to put on my wetsuit than actually swimming!

Is the water really shallow enough that you can stand up most of the way? So if I need to stop and catch my breath, I could just stop swimming for a minute and stand at the bottom? That makes it sound MUCH less scary!

Yes that's true for most of the swim. Once you get parallel with the Hancock building, it gets deeper, but if you feel uncomfortable you can always just starfish in your wetsuit and float until you relax enough to start swimming again.
2014-06-27 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
This is a very helpful thread for me. I will be in Chicago on business in a couple of weeks. I've run the lake shore trail many times and have always eyed the swim there by Navy pier. I'd like to get in there this time. Couple of questions...

Are there any safety issues or just politeness protocols I should be aware of?
Where are these lockers located? Are they coin operated?
I will be swimming on a Tue afternoon (5pm) or early on a Wed morning (like 6:30am). Are there any standing club activities or anything that I'll be running into?

BTW, I'm a very experienced OW swimmer and yes, I'm bringing my wet suit.
2014-06-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by smoom This is a very helpful thread for me. I will be in Chicago on business in a couple of weeks. I've run the lake shore trail many times and have always eyed the swim there by Navy pier. I'd like to get in there this time. Couple of questions... Are there any safety issues or just politeness protocols I should be aware of? Where are these lockers located? Are they coin operated? I will be swimming on a Tue afternoon (5pm) or early on a Wed morning (like 6:30am). Are there any standing club activities or anything that I'll be running into? BTW, I'm a very experienced OW swimmer and yes, I'm bringing my wet suit.

No issues.  Pretty easy going place.  There are two markers going out.  The first will be ~1/2 total out and back.  The second one will get you a total mile out and back.  

There are lockers but you have to bring your own lock.

There is usually a group meeting on Tuesday nights.  I THINK it is done by Fleet Feet but I could be wrong.  I honestly don't know about the morning.

2014-06-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: smoom

Chicago

No big safety issues unless you want to check the park district beach website to see what the water quality is. The lockers are along the west wall (beach faces north) at the back right by the lakefront path. Down the stairs. Bring your own lock. Tuesday at 6:30pm is a Chicago Tri Club swim/run. We're friendly though. Everybody just goes about their business and there's always somebody down there. There's not really a good place to change or park is the only thing. Otherwise, it's a pretty spectacular place to swim. I was out there a few weeks ago when the water was still 61. Today it's coming in at 68. 

2014-06-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Great! Thanks for the info.

2014-07-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Is it safe enough to leave your bag if there are no lockers available? Will the water ever get warm enough to need a wetsuit in the coming 2-3 weeks?
2014-07-07 2:25 PM
in reply to: klatz

Chicago

Originally posted by klatz Is it safe enough to leave your bag if there are no lockers available? Will the water ever get warm enough to need a wetsuit in the coming 2-3 weeks?

When the lockers are full and there are a lot of people in the water, I've seen people leave stuff along the wall. But let's put it this way...I wouldn't leave anything I'm not willing to part with. 

Water temp is 72 just after noon. Farther north it's 62 and was 58 this morning in Evanston. Who knows what you'll get. 

2014-07-09 5:31 AM

User image

I'd definitely use the lockers if you have stuff that is important to you. However, as I found out the other day make sure you have a big lock....my lock was too small to fit the lockers! Luckily one locker had been stripped of the thick black shell protecting the lock ring and I was able to use the one I had on hand....but yeah it was a frustrating few minutes where I thought after coming down to the beach I'd have to go hoe without having a chance to get in the water.

The CPD website is great for looking up info on water conditions at Ohio Beach.

http://www.cpdbeaches.com/beaches/Ohio-Street-Beach/
2014-07-09 5:02 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

I wouldn't leave anything valuable.
I've walked over to the beach, and just left my flip flops and t-shirt under the lockers, without incident.

Typically you only have to wait 5-10 minutes for a locker to open up.

I swam last night, and the water still feels very cold. My feet were numb for the majority of the swim. Amazing the difference when I think back to last year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ohio St Beach OWS Rss Feed