Columbia Triathlon Association
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 13s
Overall Rank = 454/2082
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 72/297
Pre-race routine:

My typical... up early a bagel and cup 'o joe for breakfast and a bottle of Nuun. Headed to the race site a little before 6 and had a power bar along the way.
Event warmup:

Not too much. I just chilled for about a half hour after setting up transition and then wend to the river and did some swimming right before the start.
Swim
  • 42m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not wet suit legal so it was a bit of a challenge. Swimming is by far my worst of the three sports.... add into that, no wet suit and the fact that I've swum less than 10,000 meters since last September, this had the makings for a bad day!

I honestly felt pretty good though, my sighting was much better than normal and I didn't seem to swim 100 meters off course like I normally do. The water was a bit shallow especially on the return leg so it did make it a bit difficult to swim although I did so for as long as I could before standing up to wade into shore.

Overall I was pretty happy, not a 70.3 PR swim but still better than last year by about 3 minutes... I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more pre race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Not too bad of a transition. No suit so pretty easy. I did however have to put my shoes on in transition. I didn't have any rubber bands for my shoes so I decided to put them on and trot out of transition. Cost me a bit of time, but I wasn't too worried about it.

Remember to have all my gear.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went pretty well. I spent most of my training time on my road bike so I was fairly happy with how comfortable aero felt. I sat up at most of the sharp turns and once or twice I extended that into a quick back and leg stretch. Other than that I stayed aero the whole time.

It was a bit windy but not too terrible. There were a couple times when I felt a gust push me a bit, but for the most part it didn't have a major impact on me. It was starting to get pretty dang hot though. I wasn't looking forward to the run.

Bike came in about 5 minutes faster than last year, so I was pretty happy about that. At this point I was pretty stoked that I might actually PR, depending on what happens on the run.

Nothing really. I pushed about as hard as I could while still keeping my HR in check.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Although I did lose a bit of time trying to unload my empty nutrition wrappers. My OCD was forcing me to take them out of my pockets but they kept on getting stuck. I effed with that for about 10 or 15 seconds... total waste of time.

Not worry about getting rid of my gel packs.
Run
  • 1h 45m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy this was a hot one. Not the worst I've seen but it was into the 80s by the time my run started and there is zippy shade on this course. I took ice at every aid station... dumped some down the front and back of my top, put some in the brim of my visor, and held two pieces in my hands. It worked for the most part, but dang it was still hot!

My goal was to try to run steady 8's the whole way and I was largely successful. Last year I got some pretty bad cramps the last couple of miles so I was hoping that didn't happen again, as I did have a PR in sight if my run could hold up.

I did get the starting of some hamstring cramps a couple of times and I did stop twice to stretch them out for about 15 seconds or so.

About a mile from the finish, the woman who was right in front of me went down pretty hard around a bend in the road... I think she might have had a foot land on the edge of the asphalt and lost her balance. I stopped to make sure she was OK (she was), and to help her up. Once she got up and we both started running again she said she was running 2nd in her AG... I wasn't sure how close #3 was, so from there we just put the hammer down to get home. That last mile came in at 7:24 even with the stop to help her up, so we were cooking (at least by my standards!)

At the end of the day I was very happy with the run... I came in about 3 minutes under last year... completing the PR for the race and for both the bike and run.

Not much. If I hand't stopped to stretch I could have saved some time, but then I would have risked getting full on cramps so I think I made the right decision.
Post race
Warm down:

walked, stretched, and found copious shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I'd say lack of training on the swim??? I PR'd so I'm pretty happy, but I guess I could always go faster!

Last updated: 2013-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:42 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 150/297
Overall: 952/2082
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: in water start with a two turn rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:38:52 | 56 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 109/297
Overall: 595/2082
Performance: Good
HR Average 153
Wind: Some
Course: winding loop though the farm lands.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/297
Overall: 454/2082
Average HR 164
Course: Out and back on the unshaded farmland roads.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-12 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2014-06-12 1:14 PM
in reply to: #5011439

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Great race...crazy that 5:11 only gets you 72nd in AG.  That's a tough field!  Congrats on the PR.

2014-06-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Great race...crazy that 5:11 only gets you 72nd in AG.  That's a tough field!  Congrats on the PR.

thanks and tell me about it... 52 people in my AG went sub-5.  Hell you had to go sub-4:30 to crack the top 10 in my AG... No podiums for this kid!

2014-06-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
nice race out there! Completely right about no shade
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2457 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4358 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2209 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2044 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2051 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.