of 2

2014-06-13 8:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by bufordt 

Nothing wrong with an occasional Oatmeal Creme Pie, or the manufacturer sponsoring an athletic event. It's not like it's a tobacco company sponsoring tennis.

Or AMGEN (a biotechnology company who's major product is EPO) being the title sponsor of the Tour of California.

FTR, I have no problem with AMGEN sponsoring a major bike race.  It's about advertising and marketing.  AMGEN is a California based company that helps people who need their drugs.  People need to lighten up a bit and stop getting so put off by every little thing.

Amen.....welcome to generation WHINE. 

25-40 year olds scour the world for something to be offended by.  They will not be denied their opportunity for righteous indignation!!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-13 8:19 PM

2014-06-13 8:36 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Hilarious that nobody has issue with this but will jump all over Challenge for putting a race in Dubai with so many "human rights issues". Might as well have the NRA sponsoring gun free school zones. 

Here is where I think the rails get jumped a little. Its not your post alone, but a general idea that some one person speaks for the BT masses. I haven't done a correlation study between those that support Little Debbie and those that support the Dubai regime, and probably won't. I'm sure there are people who agree with you, some that don't, and a great many that don't care either way. But no one of them speaks for the other on this or some unrelated topic. I say unrelated because i separate crappy, yummy snacks from oppression of peoples. To be clear, I'm not expressing an opinion on Challenge either. Just don't like how things turn into if-then statements. As in, IF you approve of snack cakes THEN you must support a certain sovereign regime.

Dont mind me, I'm halfway through a box of wine and a family sized bag of potato chips.
2014-06-13 9:45 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I like that a company that profits off the unhealthy habits of some people is investing some of their earnings in the healthy habits of other people. Good for them. If Phillip Morris or Budweiser wants to sponsor some races too, tell them to come on.
2014-06-14 10:32 AM

Originally posted by thebigb

Seriously, is this the image we should be portraying—a crap, processed, dessert food as a headline sponsor for one of the premier fitness/endurance events out there? What's next, NAMBLA sponsoring the kids' fun run? 

Pathetic. 

I am confused. Who is this "we" you speak of?

But i do see potential with Star Crunches

Maybe the first pro to crash on a bike can be sponsored by them....

Maybe special edition Jordan RaapStar Crunches?

Edited by SeeVee 2014-06-14 10:37 AM
2014-06-14 3:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Nothing wrong with an occasional Oatmeal Creme Pie, or the manufacturer sponsoring an athletic event. It's not like it's a tobacco company sponsoring tennis.

Or AMGEN (a biotechnology company who's major product is EPO) being the title sponsor of the Tour of California.

FTR, I have no problem with AMGEN sponsoring a major bike race.  It's about advertising and marketing.  AMGEN is a California based company that helps people who need their drugs.  People need to lighten up a bit and stop getting so put off by every little thing.

25-40 year olds scour the world for something to be offended by.  They will not be denied their opportunity for righteous indignation!!

I'm offended that I'm not included in the referenced demographic. Will you pass the Little Debbies?

2014-06-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Pro

Originally posted by the bear

I'm offended that I'm not included in the referenced demographic. Will you pass the Little Debbies?

Eh....don't despair, the age group is a work in progress, there's probably still room for you.

2014-06-14 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Seriously, is this the image we should be portraying—a crap, processed, dessert food as a headline sponsor for one of the premier fitness/endurance events out there? What's next, NAMBLA sponsoring the kids' fun run? 

Pathetic. 

did your application get turned down to be the title sponsor when you offered up the same amount of $$$?

if not you can't really complain. 

2014-06-14 11:22 PM

User image

NC
Originally posted by bdenehy

I haven't done a correlation study between those that support Little Debbie and those that support the Dubai regime, ... .

WELL THEN HUSH YOUR MOUTH!

Edited by Goosedog 2014-06-14 11:23 PM
2014-06-16 8:16 AM

Arden, North Carolina

As a 35 yr old...thanks for the mass generalization. Those over 40 never whine about anything, ever.
2014-06-16 8:36 AM

User image

I was stunned when I first read it because it seems initially like such a mismatch. As much as the race audience is a mismatch the charity partner is a digestive disease and that seems even more discordant.

But it is a local company and I do think it's good to have local companies invested in these big races. Also if it were a brewery I would probably not have even flinched and honestly beer (while one of my favorite things) is not healthy either.

And one of my kids is hoping to stock up on handouts at the expo because I never buy this stuff for the house. Honestly, this is her plan. It's pretty funny.

I can't think of a title sponsor recently that I've been part of the actual target market: ING ... nope, not me... Lexus Nexus nope, and now Little Debbie.

So, moving on. Nothing to see here.

2014-06-16 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Hahaha. I knew you'd pick up on it, LB. I actually don't give a crap who sponsors what. Purely done to highlight how people will do exactly that. To be honest though, I'm surprised (delighted) of the lack of agreement on my original argument. Social protests are the cool thing to do because you can get all the self righteousness without any of the work. 

2014-06-16 10:36 AM

User image

Pro

Hahaha. I knew you'd pick up on it, LB. I actually don't give a crap who sponsors what. Purely done to highlight how people will do exactly that. To be honest though, I'm surprised (delighted) of the lack of agreement on my original argument. Social protests are the cool thing to do because you can get all the self righteousness without any of the work. 

LOL - and I knew you had hung a curveball.

2014-06-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Pathetic. 

Oatmeal Creme Pie
Calories: 170
Fat: 7
Carbs: 26
Sugar: 14
Protein: 1

Add in some beef jerky and you've got yourself a Clif Bar.

Clif Bar
Calories: 240
Fat: 6
Carbs: 43
Sugar: 22
Protein: 10

Admittedly the Clif bar is bigger.

Now I'm thinking an oatmeal cream pie with bacon might be the best thing ever. Or a homemade version with fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookies, maple cream instead of vanilla and some applewood-smoked bacon. (And now you understand why I exercise!)
2014-06-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I viewed it as a sign that I should do it :D

Planning on 2016. How cool would it be for a Debbie to do an Ironman sponsored by Little Debbie. Tons of pictures around race site next to the Little Debbie logos.
2014-06-19 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Pathetic. 

Reviving this a week later. Man Little Debbie is so smart. Market your product to triathletes, they will give you so much free advertising since they never shut their mouths about anything . My FB feed has been littered with Little Debbie mentions, pictures, jokes etc. I can now name the entire Little Debbie product line and where to get Little Debbie products. I expect their stock to skyrocket
2014-06-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think the controversial thing is the term "little" Debbie. I am not sure that is politically correct and that generalizing the snack cake in such a way could be seen as offensive to some.  Maybe they should change their name!

2014-06-19 3:01 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sylvania, Ga
I love Zebra cakes, sponsor me little debbie!

(Little debbie tri suit copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Little debbie tri suit copy.jpg (191KB - 11 downloads)
2014-06-20 7:20 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Ok first thing:

I saw that rabbit with fire coming out its butt on the taco bell logo!

Second, I love the changed little debbie logos floating around--lil diabeetus and big deborah.
Lastly

Cmon a sponsor is a sponsor, who cares. Without them the race would be LESS.
Ive seen bud light, McDonalds, Michelob ultra, Pizza hut, and think how many sponsors are local and YOULL NEVER GO THERE, or how about a 5 K in my hometown that is giving away a generator/lawn mower/refrigerator. What does it matter?

IMO the comparison of a oatmeal pie and a cliff bar is, well...FTW
2014-06-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Little Debbie and IM ChooChoo Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Very interested in Triathlon - Care less about IM Pages: 1 2

Started by badmo77a
Views: 5215 Posts: 45

2013-09-23 4:05 PM ItriUtriWEtri

Tough decision - IM in less than 10weeks Pages: 1 2

Started by jobaxas
Views: 4393 Posts: 45

2013-01-23 4:01 PM rrrunner

First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 2547 Posts: 11

2014-07-28 10:47 AM KSH

Less light in AM and training for IM

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1434 Posts: 18

2011-07-31 9:03 AM Patrick E

Swimming Question: Less Strokes = Less Energy and Less Speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 3926 Posts: 29

2009-07-29 12:59 PM sand101
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.