General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fusion of L 4/5 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-12 5:43 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Fusion of L 4/5
Headed to the surgeon next Thursday to discuss the Fusion of the L 4/5. Ive already had a micodiscetomy last July 24th, hasn't even been a year yet.. ive just had set back after set back, once for a week in march and now a week here june 4th to 12th.. had a discogram done and the area that was operated on for the discetomey is bad... just have to feeling that I am not sure that surgery is going to work but I am at the point of taking the chance and finding out.. past week was brutal.. reading this feed I guess you see some positive and negative thoughts on the surgery.. any tips going forward?

2014-06-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: mbelh94

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Fusion of L 4/5

Originally posted by mbelh94 Headed to the surgeon next Thursday to discuss the Fusion of the L 4/5. Ive already had a micodiscetomy last July 24th, hasn't even been a year yet.. ive just had set back after set back, once for a week in march and now a week here june 4th to 12th.. had a discogram done and the area that was operated on for the discetomey is bad... just have to feeling that I am not sure that surgery is going to work but I am at the point of taking the chance and finding out.. past week was brutal.. reading this feed I guess you see some positive and negative thoughts on the surgery.. any tips going forward?

The disc is the cushion between the vertebae.  When you take it our there can be collapse between the vertebral bodies resulting in arthritis between them.   Also depending on how much of the posterior elements they had to take out to get at the disc there can be instability.  A fusion typically eliminates the problem but not sure what your symptoms are or what kind of trouble you are having. Back pain? leg pain? numbness? weakness? all of the above?

2014-06-22 7:17 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Fusion of L 4/5
Before the microdiscetomy it was leg pain and back pain, left foot numbness the whole nine yards, after the surgery( July 24th) about December I started getting the symptoms back.. its been really constant.. maybe, maybe a couple days relief. first week in june though.. serious back pain, bad.. every day, all day.. I am able to do some working out but ironman train.. not even close.. headed to get a MRI tomorrow, just to see if anything else is going on before I decide on the fusion.. im just worried about it.... im concerned its not going to work.. my back pain.. which surgeons seem to really not be worried about.. they are all worried about the leg issues and I get that but.. man.. something has to fix the back pain.. fun stuff
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fusion of L 4/5 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st Metatarsal fusion

Started by monicamm68
Views: 773 Posts: 1

2012-06-13 6:24 PM monicamm68

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2

Started by MCB
Views: 24317 Posts: 29

2017-06-18 9:09 AM Endorphin Hub

Anyone had "SPINAL FUSION" and still training?

Started by kiwee
Views: 1466 Posts: 3

2010-04-30 6:30 AM RedCorvette

LUMBAR FUSION L5 S1

Started by ff829
Views: 3944 Posts: 5

2008-12-13 10:49 AM ff829

Cervical Fusion Surgery????

Started by tjtryon
Views: 2701 Posts: 15

2006-11-29 4:33 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
I've been struggling with a disk bulge for nine months with no let-up. I am seriously considering the operation. It would be nice to be even able to bike again let alone run.