Without Limits Productions
66F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 12m 21s
Overall Rank = 109/420
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 430 ish, had bagel w/ low fat peanut butter. got coffee from dunkin's. had a bottle of nuun electrolytes to sip in the car.

set up transition, and got ready.

wanted to put my two gu packs in my back jersey pocket. opted to keep them out till after the swim.
Event warmup:

Thought I didn't have time to get a proper run warm up in. But in hindsight. could have ran more. They allowed swimmers to warm up after the first wave went off.

i did some quick pick ups and high knee strides in transition.

Swam for about 5 minutes.

had a gu gel about 40 minutes before i stared. Could have had this sooner, but time wise seemed to be good.
Swim
  • 07m 21s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim. I just got in the pool two weeks ago. So i'll take a 7:20. I'm saying below average, because I've had better swims. But i felt very good getting out of the water.

Had some issues with my goggles filling with water. Not sure what happened there. did not happen in swim practice. maybe they were too loose.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Train more, get some speed, and endurance.

felt very wobbly getting out of the water. More swim training and overall fitness should help.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

wow. this was bad. suit got stuck on heels. put body glide on but missed my heels. had problems putting the garmin in the holder on my aero bars. waited till the end to put my shoes on. probably should have done that first. what else. Oh, had major difficulty putting the gu packs in my pockets. If it's a wetsuit swim. def. put them in before the race.

put gu in pockets before wetsuit swim. slowed me down some.

practice putting garmin in more.
Bike
  • 31m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

real good bike. i went out harder than i wanted, but it felt good so i kept up the pace.

Had very good acceleration throughout the race. had good efforts up the hills, not that they were hard, it is cape cod.

had two issues, one I couldn't do anything about, a car slowed down and stopped because he couldn't figure out what the cop wanted him to do. So i slowed and waited to see what he was going to do before i turned. not worth it.

second issue, i gulped out of my sports drink and i must not have put it back in all the way. It came flying out on one of the turns when i hit a bump. It was twoards the beginning of the race, so i went back for it. a cop threw it over to me, saved me a bit of time. i think I lost maybe a min.

had a gu about 2 miles before t2. not sure if that was good or not. my stomach felt a little bad at beginning of run.

Need to make sure the bottles are in place in my water bottle holder. This is the second time this has happened. either that or there is something wrong with them.

i had a plan, race the bike hard and I did. I only got passed by three people and averaged just under 20 mph for the race. 19.9
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I've had this down undre a minute for a while so it was odd seeing this time so high. Took me a bit to get the garmin out of the holder. felt right though, take garmin off put it on wrist, then grab race belt and run.

practice taking garmin out and putting it on wrist. need to set up transition practice more.
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

so wow. this was a very good run considering i had not much run training for speed or distance.

i started off at 7:50 pace, i dropped it back to 8:30, and was able to pick up the pace with about a mile and half left. probably could have gone that pace the whole way. I finished strong, i had to stop and catch my breath. i had more in the tank but not much.

nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

stopped and caught my breath. checked the results. went to transition and started packing up my stuff.

i grabbed my goggles and took off my hr monitor. did a cool down swim in the ocean, then rinsed off. packed up the rest of my stuff and had to leave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim training. not practicing the small things enough. garmin on and off. putting gu in pockets before the race.

Event comments:

good race.volunteers were great. not much for post race activites, not a lot of food. just the awards. i had to leave so didn't stick around for any of that.

Last updated: 2014-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:21 | 440 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 144/420
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Rectangular Clockwise course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:10 | 10 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 78/420
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: winding through centerville, single loop
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:57 | 03.5 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 165/420
Performance: Good
Course: lollipop out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-14 1:42 PM

New user

Subject: Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

Started by AdCo
Views: 2001 Posts: 10

2006-09-13 2:38 PM isis54

Started by TriMom217
Views: 2309 Posts: 11

2006-09-13 6:37 PM D.Z.

Started by CHERIE
Views: 1538 Posts: 1

2006-09-11 5:51 PM CHERIE

Started by pjostack
Views: 2798 Posts: 11

2006-09-11 2:29 PM D.Z.

Started by D.Z.
Views: 1822 Posts: 5

2006-09-13 12:10 PM pjostack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.