General Discussion Race Reports! » Storm the Fort Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Storm the Fort Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kingston, Tennessee
United States
Race Day Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 56s
Overall Rank = 4/137
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up and went through the normal routine. Jenny came over and we made the long'ish trip to Kingston.

Was a bit nervous... this is the same course where the rider in front of my was clipped by a truck last year. Really just wanted to finish with no crazy stuff.
Event warmup:

Got in a pretty long bike ride to scope the course and re-acquaint myself with some serious train tracks. Got in the water at the 8 minute to start call to get in a little pre-swim, but almost immediately got the "45 seconds to start" over the com. Hmm...ok.
Swim
  • 11m 36s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out pretty hard and found open water. Stayed on course until turning on the second buoy, at which point I found some feet and thought I was smooth sailing... turns out the guy was headed off course so he took me a few meters with him. I correct and head back in.
What would you do differently?:

Do a little better sighting myself.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Every T1 this year has had some issue. This one, as I hop on my bike my Joule Ejects off of my Torhans holder. I turn around for it and can't get it on, so I sling it in the grass and go blind.

Issues I shouldn't be having. I need to tighten my game. Bad Chris, very bad.
Bike
  • 33m 46s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got out on the bike things started looking better. Riding blind, but I wasn't concerned with even pacing power anyways on this course, just going hard. As I hit the train tracks... I LOSE ANOTHER AERO STRAW from my stupid Torhans 20. Second one in two races... I'm putting a pin in the next one to keep it down. Besides that hiccup everything goes to plan. At the last 1/4 mile I catch the second guy and we cruise in t2 beside each other.

Keep my PT Computer and Straw on my bike...
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Not an amazing T2 but not bad.

Quit dragging my feet.
Run
  • 26m 41s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

A little longer run than most sprints... that doesn't bode well for me.

Myself and second (eventually 3rd due to m40+ starting behind us) place are far behind 1st... we can't even see him. Neither of us feel great so we decide to work together and pace each other the first few miles. We follow his Garmin to just under 7min/miles. At mile 2 we start storming the fort (see what I did) and as the incline raised I begin to fall off. The guy I've been working with is strong and then he's gone. I see another guy coming up hot on my heels so I dig in and try to fend him off.

I do an ok job, but at mile 3 I can hear him breathing. He makes the pass and I see a dreaded "34" on his calf. Not good. I pace him but I'm hurting, and through force of will I catch his heels with the finish line cresting the distance. We run side by side down the long sidewalk and as we come off it into the parking lot (a long open dash towards the line) I play the only card I've got. I've got a miserable kick, so going for a normal sprint is a good way for me to get crushed... so I kick early. Not sure if he was just on the limit already or what, but I go uncontested and cross with 7 seconds to buffer.

3rd man over the line, I collapse.

Was about as good of a run as I've got right now. More running...
Post race
Warm down:

I congratulate and shake hands with the other guys, find the family and Jenny and discover I've been booted from 3rd to 4th. :(

Pity, with a good T1 and a couple of seconds on the swim I would have easily held off. Still, a good day overall, especially since everyone was safe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training through races.

Event comments:

Very good race, especially since there were two races going on at the same time. RDE does good work.

Last updated: 2014-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:36 | 600 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 10/137
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Speedsuit
Course: Big Triangle/box.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:46 | 13 miles | 23.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 3/137
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with a loop. Some hills and some rough spots (train tracks) cut into the speed, but otherwise pretty fast and smooth course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:41 | 04 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 16/137
Course: Out and back around the Fort.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 9:01 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Storm the Fort Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-06-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: #5012628

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Storm the Fort Triathlon - Sprint Course

Great race!  Terrific RR, too - felt like I was there.  

Love the early kick (I feel your pain on the relative lack of top end) and that you hung on his heels until you could make the pass.  Awesome AG win and juuuuust off the OA podium is, well, pretty dang speedy!  

Congrats.

Matt

2014-06-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Hey Chris...great race. Do you think the swim may have been a little long? I usually swim 2min 100's in open water and I was like 2:30's. Great bike time with a 3rd overall but just by :12 secs. Bill Beecher is 1 fast dude.
2014-06-16 12:29 PM
in reply to: TerryW

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I would guess it's a little long or a good portion of us went at least somewhat off course. I know VolFireman said it was measured right, but I don't know if I saw anyones GPS.
2014-06-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5012628

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
It was a pleasure to meet you. You made up some serious time on the bike. I could hear that disc whooshing behind me. Admittedly, that's kind of an soul crushing sound to hear coming up from behind! Once we reached the fort on the run, and I saw the guy coming up behind us; I figured that was my best time to just go for it otherwise I was sure to get caught by him or passed by you.
The swim was a bit confusing. Apparently a whole group of swimmers went to the right of the first red buoy. Also, the race directors pointed out the two yellow buoys we were to keep to our right and go around, but then when I was sighting on the way back in, suddenly there were two more yellow buoys that were new by the swim exit. Overall, though, that was a fun event. Kinda sad to see all the mess from the coal ash spill on the bike.
2014-06-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: nhmorgan

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
you too!

Excellent race sir, and a good move on the run

That spill was pretty rough looking.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Storm the Fort Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Storm the Fort Triathlon

Started by tenninstr
Views: 1022 Posts: 1

2011-09-08 11:23 PM tenninstr

Storm the Fort Triathlon

Started by jwade13
Views: 1096 Posts: 3

2011-08-29 11:44 AM jwade13

Storm the Fort Triathlon

Started by rbishop01
Views: 1193 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 11:02 AM rbishop01

Storm the Fort Triathlon

Started by PhillipT
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 8:00 AM PhillipT

Storm the Fort Triathlon

Started by jmeeks1977
Views: 1541 Posts: 2

2011-08-28 10:05 AM rbishop01
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.