Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dilemma for Business Owners & Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-16 6:47 PM

Veteran
Subject: Dilemma for Business Owners & Tri
Hi
I have a dilemma ! and would appreciate your thoughts

I have a young family ( 3 kids) and a small business which is challenging to say the least. I am hoping to take on a 70.3 and a full Ironman next year but feel maybe i would be better holding off on these goals and dreams until the business got better etc and more established and more profitable

In order to still get to work and time with family etc i have to go out at 3-4am and then there`s the expense of the sport - i do love my training its my time and a good way to get away from it all , but i do question if its takes away focus on my other commitments

Any thought's ? carry on or hold off ? or is there never a right time ? just go for it . any productivity ideas ?

2014-06-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Dilemma for Business Owners & Tri
Its probably not worth it. I think a lot of people sleep through their day, work at maybe 25% productivity. Those are people who don't see direct benifit from the bottom line. Those are people who can live off 5 hours sleep and still work out like a boss and be a good parent. If you are putting your all and your self employed.....I mean it depends on your long term goals but you can't ideally train for anything without some other thing suffering whether it be your business or your family.

Probably not what you want to hear but you will be happier and healthier if you consider it.
2014-06-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
I think it depends on your goals and your passions. I own a small business as well and I've certainly struggled this year. After 7 years in the business, I thought this year would be the year - that things would coast and I could really define and reach my triathlon goal. I entered Ironman WI in September and this will be my second full IM. I had specific goals in mind for time improvement, but after some business glitches that required massive amounts of time (replacing some toxic employees, covering shifts for said employees when they needed to be let go, seemingly never-ending meetings, etc), I felt really demoralized. Our business is open 24 hours/day - and I worked 80-90/hrs week in May, sometimes working 18 hour days, sometimes working an overnight shift followed by a day shift , sometimes sleeping only 3-4 hours/day - killer on the body. And almost no time to train.

Initially, I was going to quit my plan to do the race. However, I realized that triathlon is my passion and I am miserable if I can't do at least some training. I have readjusted my time and training goals, but I cannot give it up. I have no idea what my business will throw at me in the next few months or years but, in order to function there, I need my triathlon outlet. I too sometimes wake up to train at 3:30am or find myself in the pool at 8:30pm, but that's just what it takes. I have skipped some key workouts in favor of extra sleep, but it's the choice I made for self-preservation. I just have personal goals, I'm never going to stand on the podium. I finished a 70.3 on Saturday - set conservative goals for myself during the race and met most of them (except for the swim time!).

You can always think there'll be a better time to embark on the journey, but after 7 years of business ownership, I feel there's no way to predict that....so NOW might be the time. You do have to make sure your family is on board, as it takes their commitment too, especially your spouse/partner. And you can't get down on yourself if you need to sleep in here and there, or attend one of your kids' functions.... and maybe make your 5 hour ride a 2-3 hour ride. If you're looking to win age-groups or Kona-qualify, maybe this won't work for you. But if you just want to push yourself, be physically fit, and enjoy an amazing accomplishment - there's no time like the present!

Wishing you the best!
2014-06-17 5:15 PM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Elite
the desert

Not a business owner, but have 3 kids. I think you need to figure out the balance between your family (1st), business (2nd), and triathlon (3rd) needs. you say you are hoping to tackle a 70.3 and then an Ironman. why decide about the 140.6 now. Take care of your family, run your business, and train for the 70.3. I think you'll be able to find whether or not you have the energy and the desire to commit to the full after your 70.3.

For me, I would love to do another 140.6. At this time, between family and work commitments, I can train for and race the 70.3 distance without it being to taxing on my personal and professional life.

2014-06-17 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
triathlons aren't going anywhere - your family and your business need to be your first priority - train - do shorter distances until you can give all 3 the time and effort they need otherwise you're spread too thin and won't enjoy and of them
2014-06-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I did it easily when the kids were little.  Once they got to be teenagers and then wanted to do triathlon themselves it was a giant pain in the arse for me to get training in.  I bagged racing in favor of watching and supporting them train and race all over the country.....couldn't be happier.  I get a bike in here and there, a swim when I feel like it, walk/run since a knee surgery, and basically enjoy seeing what I fostered in my kids.

In a few years they will be on their way in life and I'll get back to it for myself.  Until then, no, I won't miss a second of traveling them to races and watching them race.  It's been the joy of my life.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-17 8:50 PM

2014-06-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

No kids here, but my take is to forego the full IM at this point. You just don't have the time to devote to full IM training, you will not feel good about the amount of training you are getting, and if you do you will likely have problems at the business and with the family.

I have been waking up at 5:00am every Saturday for the last 2 months for long rides. longest was 6.5 hours. It takes a toll. All I have is a wife and a job, no kids. The wife is being very supportive, but she is ready for this thing to be over. 

There are other goals to be had in triathlon. Consider the 70.3 distance (I will be moving back to HIM distance after this full). Consider Oly's or sprints. It takes some really hard work to get good at the Oly distance. The workouts aren't as long, but they are very intense. Might be just the thing for someone who wants a challenge but doesn't have the time to go ride for 6 hours at a time. 

2014-06-18 10:31 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Prioties:

1. God (if you are a believer)

2. Family

3.  Work

4.  Training

2014-06-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by djdavey

Prioties:

2. Family

3.  Work

4.  Training

Ah, if it were only that easy...

To the OP:  If you have family and a job, there is really no "good" time.  Just times when it's less of a problem.

ALSO, I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's SO hard to train for something like this.  For an HIM, what's your longest workout?  4-5 hour bike ride a couple times in your peak month?

For an IM, it could be 2-3, 7-8 hour rides...  I don't have kids, but other than that, I didn't find it that hard to do.  Get up at 5-6 am on sat and sun and be done with your workouts by noon.  Weekdays?  One in the morning and maybe a 90 minute lunch workout and done.  Ride on the trainer at home at night in front of the TV if you can't get out.  Got a treadmill?  I think many people probably waste more time than they think, even with a family and work taking up a lot of it, to get training in.  You are looking for 15-20 hours a week with half of that on Sat and Sun.  It's not that hard to get it in, IMO.

2014-06-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: #5013225

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
First, you mention training at 3 or 4 in the morning. How much sleep will you be getting? Running a business is sressful and your business/employees/family need you to be mentally sharp. Don't shortchange the importance of rest.

Second, you mention needing to be more profitable. In the early phase of starting a business, you need to be saving money. I wish I would have tried to be more thrifty when I started my business.
You are probably spending a lot of time at work. Take that entry fee money and spend some time with your family.

Do keep training, just for smaller stuff.
2014-06-19 11:34 AM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Prioties:

2. Family

3.  Work

4.  Training

I thought it went:

1. God

2. Country

3. Corps

To the OP... I think that you could likely do the 70.3 w/o much trouble, the full might be more challenging.  I know nothing of your fitness level, nor your past athletic endeavors.  However, that said, if you are of decent health, with a decent base level of fitness you could finish a 70.3 on a relatively low amount of volume.  If you've got 3 or 4 days a week that you can get 60-90 minutes in and at least one weekend day for a 2-3 hour session you should be good.  It doesn't take 18 hours a week to train for a 70.3... to hope to win one maybe, but not just to finish one.

2014-06-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Sous

Prioties:

2. Family

3.  Work

4.  Training

I thought it went:

1. God

2. Country

3. Corps

To the OP... I think that you could likely do the 70.3 w/o much trouble, the full might be more challenging.  I know nothing of your fitness level, nor your past athletic endeavors.  However, that said, if you are of decent health, with a decent base level of fitness you could finish a 70.3 on a relatively low amount of volume.  If you've got 3 or 4 days a week that you can get 60-90 minutes in and at least one weekend day for a 2-3 hour session you should be good.  It doesn't take 18 hours a week to train for a 70.3... to hope to win one maybe, but not just to finish one.

Unit, Corps, G-d, Country, at least according to "A Few Good Men".
2014-06-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

If you need a bunch of strangers on the net to convince you to go for it, then I'd say to wait.

people make time for what they deem  important.

I also have a wife and three kids and a job, and it was important to me to run 140.6. So I made it work. I did not hit every workout on my plan and I made sure to work around family and work, but it canbe done if you want it bad enough.

2014-06-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: jford2309

Veteran
Originally posted by jford2309

If you need a bunch of strangers on the net to convince you to go for it, then I'd say to wait.

people make time for what they deem  important.

I also have a wife and three kids and a job, and it was important to me to run 140.6. So I made it work. I did not hit every workout on my plan and I made sure to work around family and work, but it canbe done if you want it bad enough.

agreed. you should be doing it despite what people say - then you are ready
2014-06-19 7:08 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

These people that put God before their family freak me out.

But to the OP - run your business, take care of your family and spend three months exercising when you can.  If 'when you can' = enough to do the distance you want then you're away but the last thing you need is to make it a stressful experience.  

2014-06-22 5:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bigdave001 Hi I have a dilemma ! and would appreciate your thoughts I have a young family ( 3 kids) and a small business which is challenging to say the least. I am hoping to take on a 70.3 and a full Ironman next year but feel maybe i would be better holding off on these goals and dreams until the business got better etc and more established and more profitable In order to still get to work and time with family etc i have to go out at 3-4am and then there`s the expense of the sport - i do love my training its my time and a good way to get away from it all , but i do question if its takes away focus on my other commitments Any thought's ? carry on or hold off ? or is there never a right time ? just go for it . any productivity ideas ?

I tried and failed last year. Simply could not juggle it all. Made a late decision to pull out of Lake Placid and focus on business. It was a terrible business year on top of everything else. In retrospect, probably the smartest decision I've made in a while as we are growing like crazy. What a difference a year makes. I'll do Ironman some time, but not until the business is stable and I can devote 15+ hours a week to training. My kids are 18 and 21, so that's not as much of a factor. 

I'm finding out this year that there's a lot to be said for doing sprints and Oly's. You can race much more frequently, recover is quick, and you don't lose the whole weekend.  

2014-06-23 11:11 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Dan-L

These people that put God before their family freak me out.

But to the OP - run your business, take care of your family and spend three months exercising when you can.  If 'when you can' = enough to do the distance you want then you're away but the last thing you need is to make it a stressful experience.  

I always like the saying that everyone has a God, and it always comes first in your life.  So the question is, who/what is your God?

If your God is selfishness, materialism, your job, naughty websites, etc... you are putting them before your family whether you're consciously choosing to or not.  When Christians say they're putting God before family it's because we strive (and often fail) to put a strong moral foundation and compass ahead of our Family because we recognize it's gives us the best chance at "getting it right" with our family.  Remember, kids do what we do not what we say.

Even if you don't believe in "God" at all, it's very good advice to have a strong moral foundation in front of your family because without that it's very easy to get sideways.

To the OP, I was a little in your situation because I was 3 years into a new business and training for a HIM and IM in the same year.  I was able to juggle my schedule so the vast majority of my training was before work.  My kids are all in their teenage years, so it didn't add any additional burden to my wife at all.

HIM training isn't much worse than Oly training, so if you can make it work I'd say you're ok.  However, make sure your wife is on board and that it's not a distraction at work.  If it becomes a wedge between you and your wife (too much time) or effects your performance at work then it's probably a good idea to postpone it for a little while.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dilemma for Business Owners & Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Small Business Owners

Started by jgaither
Views: 1717 Posts: 12

2013-01-03 9:28 AM phoenixazul

Remember the business owner who threatened layoffs if Obama was re-elected?

Started by lisac957
Views: 2413 Posts: 25

2012-11-10 1:37 PM crusevegas

Becoming a small business owner Pages: 1 2

Started by powerman
Views: 3702 Posts: 35

2012-10-26 12:54 PM powerman

? for business owners or Bankers

Started by sax
Views: 1216 Posts: 10

2011-01-10 1:20 PM moondawg14

Small Business Owners - Burnout

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 1416 Posts: 19

2010-01-05 7:20 PM brynn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.