General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Distance - Do I or Don't I? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-16 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
Subject: Olympic Distance - Do I or Don't I?
So I've been training for an Olympic Tri. It's my 3rd season in triathlon, only completing sprint distances prior. I recently completed a HM in early May (1:45). I currently swim, bike, & run a minimum of twice a week. I've gone distances of 22, 21, & 28 miles on the bike. The 22 miler was a brick with an 8 mile run. I just did 28 miles this last weekend (1:35). I swim minimum 1000 yards, recently 1800 yards (1m.). I also run 6-7 miles on my run days.

The tri is June 29 (registration closes the 25th). It is a 1500 yd swim, 25m. Bike, 10k run.

I just went out for my first OWS. I'm not scared of the lake, but respect it and am nervous about it. I probably did 800 yards, where I'd go out about 75 yards and swim back to shore. I'd like to get out at least two more times before to practice. All my training is in a pool.

I recently had another triathlete mention that I should do the sprint distance instead of the Olympic beings that it's my first OWS. He's done olys & him before so I obviously respect what he has to say.

What do you all think? Do you think I could do the Oly? This would be my "A" race and prep for hopefully an HIM in 2015 or 16.

2014-06-16 11:48 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Olympic Distance - Do I or Don't I?
DO IT!

If you can swim around the lake in a circle instead of an out and back that would give you more distance and allow you more time to get comfortable in the water. And if you get into trouble just swim to the banks.

ALSO: Just go play in the water like a little kid. Go tread water out in the middle, float on your back, do under water flips, squirt water in between your hands at your friends.

Go swim every or every other day from now until the race, and try to swim a mile OWS at least once so you know you can do it. Become a fish, grow a tail and gills. Swim slow and focus on form and breathing.

As far as race day, just place yourself in the back of the pack and relax, have fun and go for a swim.

ETA: EVERYONE gets nervous on their first OWS. So relax, because you are normal.

Edited by skibummer 2014-06-16 11:49 PM
2014-06-17 12:17 AM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

You'll do fine.

I just did my first Olympic 2 weeks ago on very similar training distances to what you describe.

Get as many OWS times in as you can. If it is your first OWS tri then just start at the back and let the group get moving before you start. As things thin out you can swim past slower swimmers and you'll be out of the way of faster ones fighting for position at the front. 15 to 30 seconds on the swim is totally worth staying out of the mayhem of a group start for your first time.

2014-06-17 5:53 AM
in reply to: #5013311

User image

Regular
Kansas
I should also add that the lake I practiced in is very large, & I fashioned a noodle with a bungee cord for a "crutch" to put around my waist. It wasn't keeping me afloat, but it aided in it. It was also 40mph winds the day I practiced, but it was mostly in a cove. I also live an hr from the lake.
2014-06-17 6:01 AM
in reply to: #5013335

Yes do it for sure, I've only ever done sprint distance and recently registered for a half ironman. I'm shitting myself, but hey, it had to be done. So do it!!! You will be sweet
2014-06-17 8:22 AM

User image

I say go for it.  I did my 1st Oly last summer after about 2-1/2 months of training up to similar volumes to what you mentioned.  Everyone's different, but I bet you wouldn't have a problem.  Enjoy!

2014-06-17 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Your lack of OW experience is a bit of a red flag for me.  I'd also like to see you get a sprint OWS under your belt before taking on an Oly. 

That being said, I think you can probably finish the Oly, but you need to approach the swim with the idea of swimming it within yourself at a "comfortable" pace, not racing it.  Go out too fast, spike your breathing & HR, and you're in for a long day.  Cruise through the first 1K, then see how you feel before trying to push your pace.

Get in as much OWS practice as you can prior to your race.   You didn't mention it, but you also need to spend some time practicing your sighting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mark

2014-06-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Kill it!!  The OWS will seem a little intimidating at first, but just keep clear of the traffic.  Start on the outside away from the first turn and it will open up for you.  Also, how else do you know you can do it until you DO IT!!

I love the Olympic distance.  The swim is a blast and it's short enough to go hard, but long enough to really settle into a nice smooth stroke. 

If you ask me, the volume you are doing will easily get you to the finish line.  Not sure of your goal time (I wouldn't put one out there on your first one), but you seem to be asking the right questions and have the right level of tri experience.... event if it's "just a bunch of sprints".  :-)

2014-06-17 2:11 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Yes do it. My first ever open water experience was a half ironman. yes, the open water is to be respected, but in the end its still swimming. If you are confident of doing MORE than the distance then go for it. I was completely comfortable swimming 2500-3000 in a pool when I did my first HIM and I didn't even know to be nervous of the open water. The only thing that got me was actually seeing 1.2 miles in a straight line. But as far as being in the water, nothing, didn't bother me in the least. If it's people that make you nervous, either get way on the edge, the back, or even wait 30 seconds to a minute after your wave starts. Don't go into it planning to do this, but if you need it, there will be help on the water should you need to grab a boat for a rest.
You've gotten the distances in, but keep in mind, depending on how that 28 mile bike ride went, if you were gassed, you'll want to slow down even more. That 10k in an oly is no joke.
2014-06-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #5013340

User image

Regular
Kansas
Thank you all for your input, I've been reading these and think I'm going to give it a go. My goal is to finish , but also be competitive. Aiming for a MIP finish. Survive the swim and the rest is gravy...right?
2014-06-19 1:21 PM

User image

Yep. At least that's how I always feel.

2014-06-21 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

I agree, you can do the Olympic no problem - you'll be happy with your decision.  I think a lot of people do there first Olympic on less training - I sure did.  I do remember needing to switch to the breastroke a lot - I couldn't do all freestyle as I never really solidly put in many ~2000 yard swims - and none of them open water.  If you can do a little more open water - not at race distance but maybe 500-1000 yards, that I think will be your biggest bang for your buck before race day.  

Good luck..make sure you get some tapering in the next 10 days if you have been training hard up through now.  You want to go in chomping-at-the-bit.

2014-06-21 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
You have been training for it, go get some! Four years ago, I did what most everyone says not to do, my first race was an Oly and that day it was my first OWS! I was a bit nervous, but trusted my training and knew I could do the distance, so no big deal. Maybe not the most ideal situation to do your first OWS on race day, but you won't have a problem if you stay relaxed, be patient and don't panic. And if your thinking about a HIM next year, no time like the present to get the Oly distance dialed in. It's just a BIG pool!
2014-07-29 6:18 AM
in reply to: #5014824

How did it go ? the Oly at the end of June?
2014-07-29 9:34 AM
in reply to: Jedi JJ

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Do it! I waited a long time before doing my first Oly, then was kicking myself when I finished very comfortably (not fast, just comfortable). It sounds like your training is more than fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic Distance - Do I or Don't I? Rss Feed