United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 37s
Overall Rank = 574/743
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 73/83
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 but had to be kicked by my wife. I was so tired I didn't even hear the radio blaring in my ear. Took a quick shower to wake up my body and had my customary bowl of oatmeal. Finished packing, got the bike on the car, stopped at Starbuck's for a coffee and was on my way.
Event warmup:

Took a quick 10' run out of transition to familiarize myself with the layout and see what the beginning of the run would be like. Got booted from transition about 50 minutes before my start so I milled about and met a few other Team Dork Rocket members. Got into my wetsuit and took a few warmup strokes and did the obligatory self-warming of my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 33m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a doozy of a start. There were about 75 people in each wave and the start area isn't too large so there was LOTS of contact for the first several minutes of the swim. I was clocked in the head several times and I'm sure I returned the favor a few times myself. Fortunately, I never had my goggles knocked off nor did I suffer any in injury. After a few minutes the pack started to spread out a little and I was able to find my rhythm. I did notice that my shoulders felt tight and fatigued relatively quickly. I think perhaps that's a function of not swimming in my wetsuit since early June. An interesting feature of this swim is a shallow sand bar that runs perpendicular to the course so there are two opportunities to stand and sort of run through the water. The first was a welcome break from the chaos of the start. It allowed me to find some wind and get settled back into a steady pace. I made the first turn in about 15 minutes and knew that a sub-35 minute swim was in hand barring any problems. For almost all of the second half of the swim I was pretty much stroke for stroke with another guy in my wave. He and I bumped into each other a few times and I think it was his poor navigation, not mine. About 5 minutes before the end we crossed the sand bar again and this time it seemed to shallow to swim over so I ran in the water and cursed the rocky bottom. In hindsight, I'm sure it wasn't too shallow and I should have just kept cranking through my stroke. I was also starting to notice some stomach cramping going on - sort of like a side stich but up in the abdominals just under the ribs. I had a feeling that this was going to be a problem all day. Overall, this was a good swim for me in the end and I managed to cut off 5 minutes from my last OLY swim.
What would you do differently?:

Need to keep at the drills and develop more solid technique. That's the only way I'm going to find more speed to get to that sub-30 time. Perhaps that'll be my 2007 goal. I also need to spend more time in my wetsuit to get comfortable with the different feel.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

This is the best transition area anywhere aside from the fact that the layout gives certain people an advantage - ya gotta get there early and get a good rack spot. The best part is that you can ride your bike in and out of transition. Its pretty nice to ride to and from your rack. I got the wetsuit off pretty easily, got my shoes and helmet on and was off to the races. I'm pretty happy with a 2:17 transition but I know I could cut a bunch off by getting my head in the game in the last couple minutes of the swim.

Start thinking about the transition before I get there. Get some tri-specific bike shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 09m
  • 21.4 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

My stomach wasn't feeling too good right from the start and it would come and go in waves throughout. The first 10 miles or so felt really good. I traded back and forth a couple of times with a fellow Dork Rocket member and after about 13 miles dropped her for good. I then traded with a guy in a Colorado jersey a few times and had him dropped until the last mile. Damn. I felt really good about 55 minutes and had a really nice comfortable burst until the last 1.5 miles which were back into the wind. I really wanted to be off the bike at that point. I really should have pushed more through that last section. I also think I could afford to push the bike a little harder and not risk feeling any more crappy on the run than I already do. I also spent a lot of time riding the bullhorns. For some reason, my aero position has felt less and less comfortable as the summer's gone by. I think I'll stop in and have my fit tweaked so that I can comfortably crank in aero for a couple of hours.

Keep the effort at LT or slightly above. Stay in aero more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Could have pushed this transition more as well. Even though we were riding to the racks, I should have gotten out of my shoes as I normally would. That'd have cut off a bit. I also shouldn't have stopped to take a drink as there was an aid station at the run start.
Run
  • 1h 00m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling pretty good for the first mile with the usual tightness in the hamstrings. That went away but it didn't necessarily improve how I was feeling. My stomach was still feeling tight and generally crappy throughout and I was disappointed to see that I wasn't keeping pace or negative splitting as I'd hoped. I got to the mile 4 marker and was really feeling sh*tty so I walked for 30 seconds or so. Feeling that walking wasn't helping I decided to keep plugging. I was keeping watch of my HR but wasn't able to convince my legs to go faster and keep at the higher HR that I'd planned on. Inthe last 1.5 miles I started chanting to myself "pay attention to the HR, not your legs" and that finally helped me pick up the pace. It was a pretty painful 13 or 14 minutes, though. Sometime during the last mile, I thought I might blow chow if I didn't stop soon and even got the chills at one point. I made it through the finish smiling and managed to keep the contents of my stomach where they belong though I've never felt so crappy at the end of a race. The stomach cramps that were an annoyance on the swim and bike were pretty brutal in the last 20 minutes of the run but I was happy to be able to push through that and was also pleased to manage sub-10 minute miles. I think next year's goal needs to be something like 2:40. Cutting off 7 minutes in a year doesn't seem like too difficult a task.

Focus more on HR and less on how I'm feeling. Block the pain and let the HR dictate my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Poured cold water over my head, drank some water and gatorade endurance (that stuff's pretty good) and chatted with my wife and friends. Had a banana and a couple of Oreo's. Tried pretzels and couldn't stomach them. I ended up waiting in line for a massage and chatted for a long time with two very nice women who were both about my age. Never got the massage as the one massage therapist on hand had to leave but did stay for the awards and drawings. I really wanted to win the Zipps they were giving away but it wasn't my day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time. I'm sure that next year I'll be faster simply because I've only been seriously training for about 6 months. Hopefully my coming half marathon will increase my run fitness and make me a little more speedy off the bike. I also need to keep cranking even when my brain's telling me otherwise. Unless I'm feeling like I'm injured, going to injure myself or throw up I need to keep cranking. All that said, I'm quite happy with my results. Had this been a full Olympic race (just 5k shy on the bike) I would have made my goal time of 3 hours. YEE HAW!!!

Event comments:

This race is extraordinally well run. It was the 24th edition of this race and they've got it running smooth as a top. It'd be nice if they could make the bike a full 40K but that's only a minor deal. I'd highly recommend this race to anyone.

Last updated: 2006-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:33 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 57/83
Overall: 530/743
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 173
Suit: ProMotion Fullsuit
Course: Narrow rectangle with almost all the distance covered in the out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:00 | 21.4 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/83
Overall: 545/743
Avg HR = 179
Wind: Strong
Course: West, then north, then east, then south and back. Lots of turns. Varying road quality.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:54 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/83
Overall: 617/743
MILE-TIME/AVG HR 1-9:34/179 2-9:52/181 3-10:17/181 4-9:57/183 5-10:41/183 6.1-10:41/188
Course: Rectangle around Turtle Lake with about a mile into and back out of a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-13 5:30 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2006-08-14 7:30 AM
in reply to: #510229

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon
Congrats on your finish. Nice race report.
2006-08-14 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Great job. You can sure see your training paying off, particularly on the run - under 10 minute miles at the end of the race and still feeling like crap the whole way. I sure hope that feeling on the run goes away as we do more of these things, I felt the exact same way in my last race.
2006-08-14 9:13 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
fantasic job on your first non-abbreviated oly! i've heard turtleman is a really nice race. maybe next year.

is bigwoods your next race? if you're not already, you should come out for the autumn woods classic 10k two week before. some is on trails, but its tame compared to big woods. a nice way to get in race mode prior to the 1/2.
2006-08-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: #510713

User image

Elite

autumn - 2006-08-14 9:13 AM fantasic job on your first non-abbreviated oly! i've heard turtleman is a really nice race. maybe next year. is bigwoods your next race? if you're not already, you should come out for the autumn woods classic 10k two week before. some is on trails, but its tame compared to big woods. a nice way to get in race mode prior to the 1/2.

Thanks, Autumn.  It was painful and I had moments of downright sluggishness on the bike but overall I'm happy with the result.  Turtleman IS a very nice race.  I would highly recommend it.  

I'm doing Square Lake Sprint on 9/9 and then will try to add a 10K in between that and Big Woods.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to do Autumn Woods as we have to be in Chicago for my MIL's 60th Birthday party.

When's your next race? 

2006-08-14 9:35 AM
in reply to: #510705

User image

Elite

MLJ - 2006-08-14 9:09 AM Great job. You can sure see your training paying off, particularly on the run - under 10 minute miles at the end of the race and still feeling like crap the whole way. I sure hope that feeling on the run goes away as we do more of these things, I felt the exact same way in my last race.

Thanks, Matt.  The training's definitely paying off.  I still can't believe, however, that the swim's my best event.  I'd have never thought that would be the case.  I do hope very much that focusing more on running will help me be faster and feel less crappy off the bike.  But, to a degree, this sport's about feeling crappy during a race and being able to overcome and push through.  Not very fun at the time but feels great at the finish line.  

2006-08-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: #510737

User image

molto veloce mama
2 mile open water swim race this weekend. may end up switching to the 1 mile if i'm still hacking. feeling better today, so i have hope that i can still do the 2 mile - albeit slowly!
2006-08-14 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Wow, way to push through feeling crappy.  It's funy that the Oreos were fine but the pretzels weren't.  I'm going to take a hint from your report - focus on the HR and not on the legs...I had the same problem in my last race - HR was low but my legs were tired so I walked a lot.

Great job!  And good luck on the upcoming races (note - that's upCOMING not upCHUCKING Smile- hope you get the stomach under control - that's the worst feeling!)

2006-08-14 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations on toughing it out! Sorry to hear you had stomach issues too. Yours sound worse than mine though! Great race and report.
2006-08-14 12:24 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Way to gut it out!

Ha!  Get it?  Gut?  Ha!  I kill myself!

Seriously, congrats, nice job.

2006-08-18 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
hey nice race..  i never got up on the sandbar..  just kept stroking..  didn't actually know it was a sandbar until someone told me later.    The biking in and out of the T-zone is awsome.. your t-times were solid.. congrats.

2006-08-19 9:18 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great race, especially the swim improvement!
2006-08-19 11:14 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow - nice job on your swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed