General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunglasses suggestion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-17 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: Sunglasses suggestion
After my ride yesterday I broke my 1,230,756th pair of sunglasses.

Because they are my arch enemy I buy cheap ones...the $10 kind at big box stores or when they are buy 1 get 1 sometimes. I'm so tired of shifting around from glasses to glasses.

I wonder if I actually spent a few dollars on a decent pair for riding would they last longer.

Let's say I did that...what would you recommend?

2014-06-17 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Sunglasses suggestion

it doesn't seem like you are loosing them... which is good.  loosing them is the first sign you shouldn't have nice shades.  how are you breaking them though??? nicer pairs of sunglasses meet pretty much the same standards for durability and shatter resistance as safety glasses.

I used the Oakley Radar frames with the path/range lenses in them.  Then my sunglasses got swiped when I crashed a few months ago so I shopped around for an alternative to see what else was out there.  Looked at all the Rudy and Tifosi stuff and ended up with another Oakley Radar frame.  Can't go wrong with them IMO.  There are a ton of different lenses for them which take seconds to switch out easily.  You can get aftermarket lenses too for some really interesting colors, but they won't have the same anti sweat/water coating on the lens interior that the Oakley lenses do. 

Edited by Clempson 2014-06-17 8:24 AM
2014-06-17 8:26 AM
in reply to: Clempson

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I have a pair of Tifosi (tyrant), 3 sets of lenses (red, clear and mirror) for $60. I have had several pairs of Oakley's and a pair of Maui Jims(more for fishing then sport) and tons of cheapo's, a year into the Tifosi, I have loved them, the only thing is if I don't wear a hat or mop my brow and sweat a ton I will get a drop or two inside its more annoying than anything.
2014-06-17 9:02 AM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by cornick

After my ride yesterday I broke my 1,230,756th pair of sunglasses.

Because they are my arch enemy I buy cheap ones...the $10 kind at big box stores or when they are buy 1 get 1 sometimes. I'm so tired of shifting around from glasses to glasses.

I wonder if I actually spent a few dollars on a decent pair for riding would they last longer.

Let's say I did that...what would you recommend?

Jeff I race in Oakley's and love them

I just bought the XX2I pack off of left lane sports
2 pairs of frames and 5 different lens 2 soft cases and a hard case all for $75 I thought that was a good deal
2014-06-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by Clempson

it doesn't seem like you are loosing them... which is good.  loosing them is the first sign you shouldn't have nice shades.  how are you breaking them though??? nicer pairs of sunglasses meet pretty much the same standards for durability and shatter resistance as safety glasses.

I've lost a pair or two, like most people, but I can't seem to treat them with respect or something. My pair last night snapped right in half! Was taking them out of my bike helmet and the stupid thing broke like a twig! Was shocked...not sure why but I was!

Hmm...didn't know that. I'll have to put more thought into this then.

It's hard spending $60 on a pair of glasses when they *might* only last me 2 weeks. But, then again, if I spend $60 maybe I'll be just a touch more careful.

Originally posted by triguy1043

Jeff I race in Oakley's and love them

I just bought the XX2I pack off of left lane sports
2 pairs of frames and 5 different lens 2 soft cases and a hard case all for $75 I thought that was a good deal

Thanks Jer! I'll check those out as well as the other ones listed.

I'm on the verge of setting up my own business so I can buy them in bulk and at a discount.
2014-06-17 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Radar XL's. Best sunglasses for triathletes imo.

2014-06-17 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I read up on here about Jackson Nemesis safety glasses. They are <$10 on amazon and come with all sorts of lenses. I like them because they are light and don't pinch my head.

I got the smoke, clear, blue mirror and green for about $25. (While the green lenses are sweet, no red light comes through. Stop lights, brake lights...nothing!)

If you want to stick with the cheap...check these out.
2014-06-17 12:13 PM

User image

I have Oakley M Frames and they have held up remarkably for probably 10 years everyday/everything use. My lens is cracked where it attaches to the frame but I can't see the crack so I am having a hard time justifying replacing them.
2014-06-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Oakleys.

Cheapos are not a good idea if nothing else that they may not be shatter proof.  Pro Jordan Rapp credits shatterproof lenses with protecting his eyesight in his crash a couple years back  http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

2014-06-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I have a pair of oakleys and they hug my eyelashes too much. I don't even remember what ones they are. I have a handful of cheapos that are OK, but here's the advice I have regarding lenses. Every once in a while I lose my polarized glasses and use regular cheapos for a few weeks and forget how awesome polarized lenses are. Then I find my "good" ones and swear I'll never buy a non-polarized sunglasses ever again.

Lately I've been struggling with sweat on the lenses, though. I haven't tried Vaseline on the eyebrows, yet, but am open to suggestions on different glasses or tricks to being able to see while biking! It's nice to see while running, too, but going downhill at 35+ and not seeing potholes, can be slightly more dangerous for me!
2014-06-17 12:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Low cost does not necessarily mean cheap quality. High cost does not mean good quality. How much do you really think plastic costs? Good plastic...$0.05? Great plastic $0.10?

Jackson nemesis safety glasses: $6, Rated for : ANSI Z87.1 http://www.staples.com/Jackson-Safety-Nemesis-ANSI-Z871-25688-Safet...

Oakley's: $75+ "Most Oakley Eyewear meets or exceeds ANSI Z87.1" http://www.oakley.com/customer-care/faq

So, with safety as a concern...make sure whatever you get is at least rated equal to or better than $6 glasses. Not all Oakley's are.

2014-06-17 2:12 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
RayBan Wayfarers.
2014-06-17 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida
I like Active Sol- $20-35, no fogging or slipping.

http://www.activesoleyewear.com/shop/

2014-06-17 2:59 PM

New user
I'm a big fan of the Smith Pivlock V2. They are very light, have no upper frame (basically no frame at all around the lens), the nose piece is pretty adjustable and they have a lifetime warranty from defects. The coverage of their V2 Max lens is very good. I often forget I have them on as I can barely see the edges of the lens.

I had a pair of Smith Sliders that the frames broke on after 5 years of use and they credited me the full retail price on any new pair of Smiths I wanted.
2014-06-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Love Tifosi's
They have several styles that run $50 - $90
I have used my current pair for 3 seasons of biking/running/racing and still going strong.
I love the photo-sensitive lenses, even wear them driving all the time, my Oakleys were too dark.
Also have a side vent to keep from fogging.

Edited by Swimbikeron 2014-06-17 3:39 PM
2014-08-04 1:47 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Personally I have been using the cheapo IM branded Foster Grants that sell at big box stores or Sport Wrap TR90 from amazon (I don't even know the brand) and I am very happy with them. Eventually I screw them up by either putting them in my cargo shorts or accidentally dropping them lens down on the asphalt. After reading this thread I'm a little confused as to what I may be missing out on with more expensive glasses. Certainly the top factors would be comfort, UV protection, overall eye protection, shedding sweat and clarity.

What am I possibly missing with my $14-25 shades that Oakley $220 glasses could provide? I have no doubt that if I had the Oakleys in my hand that they would probably be constructed better but unless they are scratch proof I would probably wreck them just as easily. My only complaint with my existing glasses is sweat dripping on the inside when climbing hills and moving very slow but I don't know if anything is going to fix that.

Keba

2014-08-04 2:20 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If you like Rudy or XX2i here are some discounts for you.

For Rudy Project - 40% off + additional 10% off Promos and Closeouts.
www.e-rudy.com/vip Code: TTT

For 50% off XX2i Optics
shop on www.xx2i.com at checkout enter code: TTT
2014-08-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

At first, I couldn't believe that I was willing to spend more than $10 on sunglasses, but hey, all the other cyclists were doing it. I have tried a couple brands, but am really fond of my Tifosi fototec glasses. The tint adjusts to lighting conditions without getting annoyingly dark. They are great for evening rides or areas where I am in and out of shadows.
2014-08-04 3:02 PM

User image

I have tried Oakleys before as that's what I use for driving.  I didn't really like them for riding though.  I have also tried slightly cheaper sunglasses like the Tifosi's.  They were okay overall, but great value considering the price.  Then I got a free pair of Rudy Projects.  I love them.  Fits my face well and I went with the impactx lenses that were also photochromic for day and night riding.  If I had to buy another pair, I'd spend the money for Rudy Project.  

2014-08-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Safety glasses . com I think it is buy a case of $6 glasses and just take out a new pair when you need it like a candy machine...... They have some nice ones with no top rim so you can look up more easily in aero position.
2014-08-04 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
My daughter just picked up a fairly nice pair of sunglasses from Big5 for $20 bucks on sale. They were marked $100 regular price so they were probably worth $35 but clearly a step or two above the cheap ones she normally buys. She tends to break hers more than lose them, generally throwing something heavy on top of them. These do look like they will hold up better if abused.

Maybe worth checking out for an incremental upgrade without spending a lot.

2014-08-04 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5013365

I second that, I buy a box of tinted safety glasses two or three times a year. it comes out to $.97 a pair after tax. I literally have them littered everywhere i go, i am never more then ten feet away from a pair of them. When they get a little scratched up they go to work, then a new pair lands on my bike.
2014-08-04 9:21 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by reecealan

If you like Rudy or XX2i here are some discounts for you.

For Rudy Project - 40% off + additional 10% off Promos and Closeouts.
www.e-rudy.com/vip Code: TTT

For 50% off XX2i Optics
shop on www.xx2i.com at checkout enter code: TTT

I have the Rudy Noyz. They are comfortable, adjustable and guaranteed for life. My polarized lenses got scratched after I dropped them on concrete and I called their customer service to buy new lenses, all I had to was pay shipping for free replacement lenses. Plus, I have never had a problem with them fogging.
2014-08-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

I have a particular issue with all of the sunglasses I have used. If I am in the sun, with it in front of me, and approaching a shaded area, I have great difficulty seeing what is in the shade. Has anyone found glasses that are effective with this situation?

Jim
2014-08-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Originally posted by KebaNYC

Personally I have been using the cheapo IM branded Foster Grants that sell at big box stores or Sport Wrap TR90 from amazon (I don't even know the brand) and I am very happy with them. Eventually I screw them up by either putting them in my cargo shorts or accidentally dropping them lens down on the asphalt. After reading this thread I'm a little confused as to what I may be missing out on with more expensive glasses. Certainly the top factors would be comfort, UV protection, overall eye protection, shedding sweat and clarity.

What am I possibly missing with my $14-25 shades that Oakley $220 glasses could provide? I have no doubt that if I had the Oakleys in my hand that they would probably be constructed better but unless they are scratch proof I would probably wreck them just as easily. My only complaint with my existing glasses is sweat dripping on the inside when climbing hills and moving very slow but I don't know if anything is going to fix that.

Keba

Exactly what I use... comfortable, good peripheral vision and $15 at Wally World. I don't NEED anything else but I'm sure I would like the Oakleys or the Tifosi's. I'd rather spend the $ on something else.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunglasses suggestion Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Sunglasses suggestion

Started by kromanowski
Views: 2484 Posts: 25

2009-05-05 8:56 PM sistinas

Sunglasses suggestions for fat heads...

Started by jellyman
Views: 2610 Posts: 7

2009-04-26 4:17 PM Puppetmaster

Hey 4-eyes...suggestions for sunglasses (?)

Started by shawn barr
Views: 1131 Posts: 12

2006-04-13 1:43 PM crusevegas

sunglasses?

Started by 12thman
Views: 881 Posts: 9

2004-06-25 7:40 AM Machiavelo

prescription sunglasses

Started by trilover
Views: 1129 Posts: 12

2003-12-09 1:20 PM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2012
author : ironultrared
comments : 2
When they first came in, and I opened them up, I had my doubts. So, I made sure to really put them to the test. Well, Rudy, you've made a believer out of me.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.