United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 43s
Overall Rank = 155/320
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 13/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am, even though I wanted to sleep later. Finally got out of bed at 4:30. I set everything up the night before. I ate toast, a banana, and some almonds, and drank some chocolate milk. I filled my water bottles and double checked that I had everything and left at 5:05.

I got to Plantation Park at 5:35, but cars were backed up waiting to park. It took 20 minutes to park, and about 10 minutes to walk to transition, so I was running later than I like to.

Got to transition and set up, but felt very rushed.

Next time I will leave at least 30 minutes earlier.
Event warmup:

None. Didn't have time.
Swim
  • 16m 53s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good throughout. Not as much contact and jostling as other Sprints I've done.

I settled into a good rhythm and took breaths on every stroke. Felt like I sighted really well.

I' m surprised to see that my pace wasn't faster, but I'm not that disappointed considering no wet suit.

The tri shirt was fine to swim in. Fist time swimming in it without a wetsuit. Didn't even know it was there.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Maybe the rush in getting there and setting up tightened me up. It did seem to take a few hundred yards to relax.

Did not find an opportunity to draft.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Good transition...I just took my time. Definitely could have sped it up.

Realized that I had not opened my bike shoes that were already in the pedals, so I moved over to the side of the mount area to open them. Didn't lose a lot of time.

The rubber band one one side broke, but I was able to mount and get going well. Got in the shoes without a problem. After a mile or so, I tightened the shoes a bit.

Remember to open shoes.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 49m 14s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a very nice ride. Riders were spread out very well so it was easy to pass (and be passed...).

I tried to stay within myself and not push too hard. Kept my eye on the HRM to make sure I did not go too high.

I wanted to save something for the run. Was passed multiple times, but also passed multiple people as well.

Decided to go with no hydration during the ride and just rely on getting hydrated during transitions. I always drink too much during the bike and feel bloated during the run.

More hard riding in training. Longer riding in training.

Recent focus on form seemed to help. Need to continue and make pedaling in circles second nature.

I need to figure out how my training can be more effective.
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Both my calves and arches cramped up when I tried to put on my socks and shoes. I did not go sockless because I have been having problems with my current set of running shoes when running without socks.

Overall I was just way too slow. I felt very weary getting off the bike, even though I had focused on not burning out on the bike.

I was last in my age group (28/28) and did poorly overall (295/320). Ouch...

Took two large drinks of water before starting the run.

Be able to run sockless. Move more quickly.

An increase in fitness will get me in and out of transition faster. Less dragging...
Run
  • 26m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt awful through the entire run, even with pacing myself on the bike. Not really sure why. Kept the pace reasonable. Was please to see a consistent pace throughout.

Even though I did not hydrate during the bike, I still felt like there was too much in my stomach. Sounds crazy for a Sprint, but I need to figure out how much to drink throughout the race.

More run training. More consistent training. Better endurance - I can see by the heart rate increase during the run that I need to work on endurance.

Again, I need to figure out what I can do to get faster or at least feel better during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, water, protein shake, banana. Chocolate milk and water on the way home in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think getting sick 6 weeks before the race (no training for 1.5 weeks), and the heart catheterization 3 weeks before the race (another week with no training) really hurt.

Event comments:

Very good race. Well organized. Swim was nice, bike course had rollers but no tough hills, and the run was hilly, but almost totally shaded.

Only disappointments were the time it took to park and the lack of bathrooms.

Good post race food and booths. Overall a great race.

Last updated: 2014-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:53 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 155/320
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back with sight buoys keeping a 50 yard distance between the swimmers going out and the swimmers coming back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:14 | 17 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/28
Overall: 130/320
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 153
Wind: Little
Course: The first couple of miles were rough surface, but after that the roads were like a dream. Very smooth. It was s single loop and was very well marked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:04
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 180/320
Performance: Average
Pace: Mile 1 - 8:42 / 160 bpm HR Mile 2 - 8:46 / 168 bpm HR Mile 3 - 8:46 / 172 bpm HR Last 0.1 - 7:12 / 179 bpm HR
Course: Very hilly, wooded, muddy paths. Pretty much out and back with a bit of a detour on the way back. Had to focus on roots and mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-17 7:40 PM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Subject: Tri Latta Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Latta Triathlon (Saturday)

Started by kweezen
Views: 1444 Posts: 3

2011-06-12 9:10 PM japarker24

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by bgraboski
Views: 1975 Posts: 3

2010-06-15 6:58 AM bgraboski

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by VicNeill
Views: 1457 Posts: 1

2010-06-14 5:51 AM VicNeill

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by wsandford
Views: 1657 Posts: 3

2010-06-14 3:28 PM maria40nc

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by kweezen
Views: 1504 Posts: 1

2010-06-12 12:22 PM kweezen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.