Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Tinman roll call?
Good luck tomorrow everyone. Even with the heat index, should see some great performances.

2014-06-22 8:49 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Originally posted by dprocket

Some interesting changes since Silverback took over. Hope everyone has a great race and you suffer well. This is the first time in 3 years that I'll miss it so I'm feeling a bit of an itch. I'll be swinging black flags that say "SUFFER!" so hopefully that gives everyone a jolt of energy.

I think I saw you out there cheering the swim area. Thanks for the support!
2014-06-22 5:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overall Place
Long
Division Place
2 of 20
M4044
Gender Place
9 of 121

Swim
12:35
1:16 /100
T1
1:42
Bike
51:06
22.3 MPH
T2
0:46
Run
54:16
7:15 /Mile
Finish Time 
2:00:21.81

Tough run, as always.

Edited by Jayhox 2014-06-22 5:25 PM
2014-06-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Great race guys. Lot of good performances. I had a fun time watching my wife and my good buddy (who turned in the fastest run of the day-short course) and seeing the rest of you. I tried my best to heckle all the fast guys and cheer on everyone else. Pretty sure the city of Topeka has finally had enough cowbell.

I don't know how everyone else felt, but I thought that race was terribly organized and a disappointing execution. I know it's taboo to suggest anything less than stellar about that RD, but from my vantage point (not as an athlete, this time) is seemed like a poor production. I can only hope the Silverback tri is better since it has their name on it, but I'm guessing many they aren't making much on race registration fees so I'm not counting on it.
2014-06-23 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I don't know how everyone else felt, but I thought that race was terribly organized and a disappointing execution. I know it's taboo to suggest anything less than stellar about that RD, but from my vantage point (not as an athlete, this time) is seemed like a poor production. I can only hope the Silverback tri is better since it has their name on it, but I'm guessing many they aren't making much on race registration fees so I'm not counting on it.

I don't think there was anything lacking from an execution stand point. Everything from a functional and operational stand point seemed to go off without a hitch, at least from my vantage point as a LC racer. The atmosphere however was very. . . (trying to find the right word) dull or low-key. I think that's what happens when you don't have someone on the PA/microphone before, during, and after the race. I've also never been to a race where you just get in line, pick up your award, and then leave. You wouldn't think that not having an announcer would make that big of an impact, but it did.
2014-06-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I had a few problems. I was the first racer on the bike course (humble brag), and was stopped twice by cops controlling the intersections to let cars pass. That shouldn't happen. At T2, I ran to the run exit, and was told by volunteers that the correct exit was on the opposite side (by bike out). I started running that way and they again said the original exit was right... No big deal, but probably cost me 10 seconds. Also, swim and bike courses were a bit long, but the run was short so ALL GOOD THERE!

The worst infraction I noticed, though, were the people riding on the bike course without helmets. I saw 3 individuals without helmets on who were clearly racing. That should never happen.

I agree with the lack of atmosphere, too. I didn't really bother me, but if this was my first triathlon, I would probably be turned off by the lack of excitement at the start of the race and finish... I don';t know his name, but the guy from Ultramax does a great job of building the excitement without being overly annoying. You could clearly tell he wasn't there.

2014-06-23 9:30 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Originally posted by dprocket Great race guys. Lot of good performances. I had a fun time watching my wife and my good buddy (who turned in the fastest run of the day-short course) and seeing the rest of you. I tried my best to heckle all the fast guys and cheer on everyone else. Pretty sure the city of Topeka has finally had enough cowbell. I don't know how everyone else felt, but I thought that race was terribly organized and a disappointing execution. I know it's taboo to suggest anything less than stellar about that RD, but from my vantage point (not as an athlete, this time) is seemed like a poor production. I can only hope the Silverback tri is better since it has their name on it, but I'm guessing many they aren't making much on race registration fees so I'm not counting on it.

I remember you Mr. Cowbell, and I appreciated the cheering.

I felt the execution left a little to be desired.  I had a few friends where this was their first tri, and I had to walk them through the logistics that are normally taken care of by a pre-race meeting or information sheet in the packet.  I was happy to do it, but I felt bad for anyone who may have been there without support.   Also, the "food tent" was lacking - pizza only, and to get a drink you had to go back to the finish line.  I also expected more swag from such an established race.

That being said, packet/timing chip pickup and body marking flowed smoothly, the course was well marked, and the cops did a great job at stopping traffic so we weren't impeded on the bike at all.  I agree that having an announcer may have made all the difference.  All in all it was a great race day - great venue and the weather cooperated.

2014-06-23 9:33 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Originally posted by m.a.burghart I had a few problems. I was the first racer on the bike course (humble brag), and was stopped twice by cops controlling the intersections to let cars pass. That shouldn't happen. At T2, I ran to the run exit, and was told by volunteers that the correct exit was on the opposite side (by bike out). I started running that way and they again said the original exit was right... No big deal, but probably cost me 10 seconds. Also, swim and bike courses were a bit long, but the run was short so ALL GOOD THERE! The worst infraction I noticed, though, were the people riding on the bike course without helmets. I saw 3 individuals without helmets on who were clearly racing. That should never happen. I agree with the lack of atmosphere, too. I didn't really bother me, but if this was my first triathlon, I would probably be turned off by the lack of excitement at the start of the race and finish... I don';t know his name, but the guy from Ultramax does a great job of building the excitement without being overly annoying. You could clearly tell he wasn't there.

How long was the swim course? In my excitement I forgot to start my Garmin until after the swim...

2014-06-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Mine had 560 yards, but I think that's a bit long (my map was all over the place...). Based on the pace I had and the effort I was putting out, it was probably close to 500 yards. So maybe just an extra 50 meters, which isn't a big deal.
2014-06-23 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I'll echo your sentiments. I didn't see anyone without helmets, but it would not surprise me. Perhaps I've been spoiled or perhaps have too high of expectations.

Here's a few gripes:

- swim caps...they were all the gray silverback logo'd caps. If I was racing, this would have bothered me because I like to see the different waves and who I'm passing (or who's passing me) But more importantly, isn't the main reason caps are required for safety purposes and visibility for rescue teams in the water? Other than lake-water brown, I can't think of a worse color for the swim caps than dark gray.

- they ran out of shirts. This is a pet peeve of mine, because RD's have a count of registration. If there is a big walk-up registration crowd, those folks should not get shirts. Pre-registrants shouldn't get left out. This isn't the first race this has happened, but it's a gripe of mine.

- they ran out of bike stickers/numbers. Ok, maybe not a big deal. But it's a USAT rule to have your bike number visible so I was concerned about it when it wasn't in the packet (I was trying to help my wife in transition). When I went back and asked about it, they told me they were out. OK. Not a big deal. When I asked if there is any concern about getting penalized for not having the number displayed on the bike (in a joking manner) I got the look of death. I was told that there is no rule about bikes being numbered and the only reason a bike is numbered anyway is to make sure no one walks away with your bike. No big deal. Sooo...transition was a free-for-all with anyone coming and going as they please. It would have been very easy for someone to walk off with a bike.

I don't care too much about the letter of the law, but the clear nonchalance about something that is a) incorrect and b) an acknowledged security risk was a problem.

- I didn't see it, but I was told there was no staff at the run turn-around point on the short course. In other words, if Mark wanted to get a faster run time he could have easily cut the run way short with no issues at all.

I agree that the atmosphere was just weak. Tinman was my first ever triathlon so maybe I'm too sentimental. It seems over the past 3 years the atmosphere has degraded to the point that it *feels* like the RD's don't really care about it. I know not every event is a "world series" type of event, but each one is important for many of the participants and it builds the sport if there is a level of excitement there. Most weekend 5K's have more buzz about them and the participants aren't paying $70-80 each.

I did see something I've never seen before. There was one athlete who, upon exiting the swim, was immediately approached by (what appeared to be) his mother and sister. Mom was carrying a towel and his running shoes and sister had a water bottle. They ran with him and helped him dry off, hydrate and get his shoes on for the run before even getting to T1. I got a kick out of it and some ideas on how to my my T-times faster.
2014-06-23 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree with everyone that it lacked energy this year.  Needed an announcer.  Needed "more" of everything.  I am worried it is going to lose its reputation as one of the better supported local races and die on the vine if this keeps up.

My only substantive gripe is that they changed the long course bike route without telling anyone.  The maps showed us turning on Croco Road.  I even sent an e-mail to Silverback and received a specific response that the bike course would turn on Croco, with a turn-by-turn description, and an explanation that it was being done to avoid crossover with the short course.  HEck, Ryan even confirmed that in person when I was talking to him during packet pickup Friday.  When I got there on the bike, at the front of my wave (40+ long course), there were no arrows, and the road barrier was right there -- so it didn't look right.  I made the turn, looked back at the police officer, and he was pointing to go straight.  I probably lost 30 seconds and a ton of momentum.  Probably changed how the run unfolded because Kevin passed me at the midpoint of the run.  Had he passed me later, I might have been able to stay with him better.  OK, I am probably kidding myself about that.  :-)    Oh well.

But my main concern is that everyone had the same impression and won't be enthusiastic about coming back next year.  A race can die quickly if people feel the organizers treat it as a "C" or "D" race.

2014-06-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: Jayhox

Lee's Summit, Missouri
Agree with all the points but at least someone did check numbers to make sure I had my bike.
In the few events I have done that is a first.
2014-06-23 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

I did see something I've never seen before. There was one athlete who, upon exiting the swim, was immediately approached by (what appeared to be) his mother and sister. Mom was carrying a towel and his running shoes and sister had a water bottle. They ran with him and helped him dry off, hydrate and get his shoes on for the run before even getting to T1. I got a kick out of it and some ideas on how to my my T-times faster.

Your T-times may be faster, but you'll get DQ'd for outside assistance.... haha
2014-06-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
It was also interesting to see that they specifically delayed this race a week from its traditional date (Father's Day weekend) to a week later with hopes of increasing participation and giving itself more separation from KS 70.3. Looks like that did not do to much as the number of finishers is about the same as previous years.

I agree with Patrick on giving this race the C/D race treatment. If that continues SCPD will just look for another production outfit, the same way they did when they wanted to replace KLM.

Edited by Barkeep 2014-06-23 12:08 PM
2014-06-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
and now that I think about it, the lawrence triathlon (now Silverback Triathlon) last year had exactly the same feel to it. No announcer, very low key. Finish, grab your award (after a 2 hour wait...) and go home. No food or anything to speak of...
2014-06-24 10:44 AM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Did it end up being a wetsuit legal race?

2014-06-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Apparently, although there was no announcement...
2014-06-24 11:05 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Just to pile on... they also dropped the duathlon this year.
2014-06-24 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by m.a.burghart

Apparently, although there was no announcement...

I never heard an announcement either. Also, my wife also saw someone heading out onto the bike course without a helmet. That's completely egregious for an RD to allow this to happen...especially a race that size. It's not like there were thousands of participants who snuck through...
2014-06-24 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Also, my wife also saw someone heading out onto the bike course without a helmet. That's completely egregious for an RD to allow this to happen...especially a race that size.

Appalling!
If motorcyclists in the state of Kansas don't have to wear helmets why should she!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tinman roll call? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Roll Call: Topeka Tinman Pages: 1 2

Started by dprocket
Views: 1805 Posts: 29

2013-06-17 9:57 PM brazee

Roll Call Jackson County Triathlon

Started by TriMan25
Views: 2126 Posts: 18

2012-08-22 8:44 AM mdsict

Roll Call Mudwater Tri

Started by mdsict
Views: 1139 Posts: 3

2012-07-09 11:51 PM KansasMom

Roll Call SM Park Tri Long and Short Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by TriMan25
Views: 6477 Posts: 93

2012-07-09 5:19 PM Corey07

Roll Call Topeka TinMan Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMan25
Views: 4301 Posts: 44

2012-06-19 12:56 PM Jayhox
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?