General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ZERO TO IM - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-20 7:36 PM

User image

Subject: ZERO TO IM -
HI - I have done one indoor timed super-sprint tri. I did well. The pool was warm, the air conditioning felt good while on the stationary bike and treadmill, so clearly Im ready to start IM talk right?

Ok. Seriously. I have completed 3 FM. I am mainly a runner, but since Nov 2013, started picking up Swimming and in 2014 started biking. My YMCA TRI group is offering a real practice Sprint - you know, outdoors and they dont tell you that you are done with the swim in 15 minutes and they dont give you 5 minutes for T1 and T2, but its still a relaxed race. This would be great preparation for my upcoming OLY July 27. I feel pretty prepared for the OLY, but I have been slacking on my bricks to be honest.

My FM training has capped out about 6 hours per week and I see that IM training expects that in a day at the peak. I also am aware there is a very well run REV3 70.3 in my area, but part of me just wants to have the IM ! (last year for my first FM I ended up doing a FM before I ever did a HM)

I will be better able to understand how much farther I have to go after I complete my OLY, but as luck would have it, its the day that LP IM Registration opens. I'll be sore and tired on the day when I have to pull the trigger and sign up if I want to do LP. Florida IM in Nov is also an option for 2015, but LP I could drive to and bring bike a lot cheaper (maybe family too) compared to Florida - I live in CT.

OPTION 1 - Lake Placid 140.6 in 2015 ! ! !
OPTION 2 - FLORIDA 140.6 in 2015 ! ! !
OPTION 3 - CT REV3 70.3 in 2015

Thanks in advance for your perspective and experience.

2014-06-20 11:45 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: ZERO TO IM -
a lot depends on your goals for the full iron distance. If you are looking to do 13-14 hr, that's one thing, but having bigger goals I might suggest sticking to the 70.3 first.

Of the 2 IM options, I think IM FL would be a good choice, because your training will be tough over the winter/spring if you chose IM LP. Also IM FL being flat will be easier than placid.

Good that your run dept is solid, but the bike and swim for iron is no joke, which you would understand better if you did the 70.3 first.

Having said that, you'll need to commit to the training, which can be hard to do with life getting in the way.
2014-06-21 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Doing an Oly will tell you almost nothing about ability/capability/success/failure at the Ironman distance.  You can fake your way through a sprint and oly.  So the statement that "I will be better able to understand how much farther I have to go after I complete my Oly" is almost meaningless.  They're completely different animals.  Choose to do an IM because you want to take on the challenge and commitment and not because of how well you did or didn't do in a race that lasts around three hours for most people.

Ironman isn't going anywhere.  While doing a 70.3 is certainly not a prerequisite to doing an IM, it can be a very eye opening experience.  I'd strongly suggest doing a 70.3 before committing to doing an IM.  It will test your resolve when it comes to your training, commitment and ability.  Once you cross that 70.3 finish line ask yourself, "Am I willing to do double that in distance and more than double that in time?"

2014-06-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master

Can you do it? Sure. Is it the best thing to do? You are the only person that can answer that question.

The actual training component is only a fraction of what is involved in preparing for 140.6. A lot of people tend to discount the actual toll that training for an IM can have on your marriage, family, work and home commitments. I would highly recommend  spending some time researching the actual time and financial commitment and discussing it with your family prior to signing up for the race Then take an honest look at if this will work with your present family and work situation.

There are multiple threads on BT that cover this information. Good Luck!

2014-06-22 8:58 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
To echo what others have said, if you are going to enjoy your Ironman journey, you have got to really enjoy the training. It takes a long time to get ready for an Ironman, sometimes up to a year. Its a lot of time, on the bike, in the pool, etc. If you don't really enjoy that process, then it can be a long period of time. Race day is the end of that process. If you are looking forward to a long period of being committed to swimming, riding, and running, then you can make it work. If you just want to do one, then be done, I guess that is one thing, but still, don't underestimate the amount of time required to not have a miserable day.
2014-06-24 7:25 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Thank you guys and gals. I guess the main drive for me is the bucket list. I really like the idea of "having done" an IM. I realize that it is a huge commitment, but was thinking if I could stress my family for 6 months and then be done, that it would all work out. I really dont have a good idea what 20 hrs of training is. My longer training weeks have been about 10-12 hrs so far.

I havent been swimming for a year yet and I havent been biking for a year yet. Currently my plan is to focus on the May 70.3 that is local and if I am to do an IM, it might be fall 2015 or later.

I feel the biggest obstacle is family. I could juggle work and training and get it done if I were single, but Im not. Will need to get a better idea of the juggling while training for HIM distance.

Thanks again.

2014-06-25 8:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by BF JEFF

Thank you guys and gals. I guess the main drive for me is the bucket list. I really like the idea of "having done" an IM. I realize that it is a huge commitment, but was thinking if I could stress my family for 6 months and then be done, that it would all work out. I really dont have a good idea what 20 hrs of training is. My longer training weeks have been about 10-12 hrs so far.

I havent been swimming for a year yet and I havent been biking for a year yet. Currently my plan is to focus on the May 70.3 that is local and if I am to do an IM, it might be fall 2015 or later.

I feel the biggest obstacle is family. I could juggle work and training and get it done if I were single, but Im not. Will need to get a better idea of the juggling while training for HIM distance.

Thanks again.

I have been in the triathlon realm for about 8 years now and am registered for IMFL in November. Although I have been around Ironman finishers, trained with many, trained year round for several years, and actually held my own in most of my races, I still am thinking I may be crazy!
Kudos to you for even entertaining the idea of simply registering to get this off your bucket list. I am 11 weeks into my training and I am having a blast, but that hasn't kept my husband from being annoyed with my constantly, my kids from complaining about me getting up so early and being tired by 9 PM at night, my family from saying they never see me, my friends getting tired of me turning them down for coffee, drinks, pedicures, trips, etc. The list goes on. I talked openly with EVERYONE beforehand and everyone was, of course, supportive and on board. Could be a long 19 weeks to go.
I will tell you that it is a totally different level of training. I feel quite cozy with my bike and the pool staff at the YMCA. There are days that I would
pay hundreds of dollars to not get up at 4:45. But, still plugging away and keeping my eye on the prize. For me, it's something I HAD to do since I am "a triathlete." I have had this goal in the back of my mind for 10 years. I guess you have to decide if you are dedicated enough to take on the challenge to simply mark it off of a list. Isn't there something easier on the list you could do?? Just teasing! Good luck to you! This is a great spot to get support! Plan on 6-9 months of training overall. If you are doing 70.3 distance you are more than 1/2 way there.

2014-07-08 5:02 PM

New user
Delaware
I skimmed through this thread so I hope I did not miss anything. To answer your OP I would do option 3 then 2. If you are in CT I assume you're talking about Quassy. I did that in 2012 as a warm up for IMLP and it's a great race.

Like I said, I did IMLP 2 years ago and I did IMFL last year. I live in DE and the drive to Florida was double to LP. However, I enjoyed FL better. I don't have a ton of money and FL was alot easier on the wallet than LP. Plenty of accomadations in Panama City compared to LP. Plus you have the whole town to yourself while LP was very crowded. Finally the course is easier.

I would def fo a half before a full. I just feel you need to progress up the distances. Best of luck.
2014-07-09 7:16 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

As long as you understand how to train properly and avoid typical overuse injuries, no reason  you cannot move straight to an Ironman distance race.  

Are you committed to an M-dot (Ironman brand) race, or would you consider doing any 140.6 to tick that on your bucket list?  

If you're going to do 1 and it has to be an M-dot, where would you *like* to go for a race?  Consider one of the overseas races.  Somewhere in Europe or Australia and make it a huge vacation.  If you want to stay in NA, consider IMCdA.  It's late in June and doesn't sell out immediately.  It's a good excuse to see the Rockies and Glacier NP.  When I did it in 2009, we drove out/back from Illinois with my youngest two boys (16 at the time) and did Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc. on the way out and back.  

If you are looking to do the distance but not wedded to the M-dot brand, Rev3 (Ohio), Vineman (Northern CA), and B2B (North Carolina) are good races.  If you want bare-bones, consider Redman (Oklahoma) or Bear Lake (Utah).  

The Esprit (Montreal) might be the most spectator-friendly iron distance race.  Both the bike and the run are short loops, so your family can see you every 10-15 minutes.  

There are a number of international non-M-dot races.  Go to k226.com.  

I've done IMCdA and Vineman and I'm training for B2B.  

2014-07-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

I am doing 2 IM this year (Whistler and Lake Tahoe), 8 weeks apart. I am single, no kids, and I only work 35 hours a week. 2 weeks ago I did just under 22 hours of training, last week was 20 hours. That is just the time it took me to swim/bike/run. That says nothing about driving to open water swims, driving to the hills to bike/run, showering, eating, eating some more.
Here was my last weekend. Saturday I was up at 5:00am. Left the house at 5:30am. Drove 1.5 hours to get to the hills where I bike. I rode for 5.5 hours (about 90 miles). Then I drove 1.5 hours home. I ate, then showered, then ate again. I was in bed at 8:00pm that night. I got up early on Sunday morning and put in 40 miles on the bike then did an 8 mile run. Sunday afternoon was spent shopping for groceries, cleaning, and getting ready for the week ahead.
I swim Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I bike to work Tuesday (about 80 miles), then have a short brick run. Thursday I bike to work (about 30 miles) then I do a 14-16 mile run afterwards. Saturday are long bike rides, and Sunday is a moderate bike with a moderate run. So, if you can fit that into your schedule, go for it.
I started out with Olympic distance first (I did 5 my first year) and thought, this isn't that bad, I will try longer distances. I did 2 half IM the next year and thought, this isn't that bad, I will try longer distance. Then I did a full IM. I did it in 12.5 hours, so I am MOP. 112 miles on the bike is no joke. I am a decent runner, and a full marathon after that bike is also no joke.
I am not trying to scare you off or anything. I just want you to have as much information as possible. It is a huge time commitment. You don't have to train as much as I do. I have plenty of free time so I can train quite a bit. But, if you want to finish at least comfortably, you have to put in some decent time. Especially on the bike. And the bike is what takes up so much of your time in training. It is great to have this "bucket list" and it is great motivation and I wish you all the luck.
2014-07-09 9:13 AM

User image

Red Deer, Alberta
I'm going to echo some of the comments above - IM training is time consuming. I have a husband & 3 kids, and a full time job, and no other life outside training. (Well, not quite, I volunteer a little, but it's limited). I'm a BOP - I'm hoping for a 16 hour finish this summer at Mont Tremblant. I live in the same city as DeVinci13, and while my training weeks look a little lighter than his, not that much! A typical week for me:

M: Morning swim (60-90 mins)
T: Brick (60 min ride; 2-3 mile run)
W: Morning swim (60-90 mins); Evening run (3-6 miles)
Th: Morning Ride (1 hour); Evening run (3-6 miles)
F: Morning swim (60-90 mins)
S: Bike - 30-40 miles if running long on Sunday; 80-100 if not
S: Run (6-20 miles depending on the prior day's bike)

I spend ~15 hours a week training; then there is the added drive time to safe/hilly riding locations; meal prep; laundry, etc. I eat dinner with my kids 2-3 times a week. (They are teenagers and are gone as much as I am, it would be MUCH harder if they were young!).

Thankfully, my husband is also a triathlete, so he understands and supports the crazy that is our life. Make sure your spouse is 100% on board - their support can make or break this for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ZERO TO IM - Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1381 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo

Half IM 5 weeks before IM?

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 931 Posts: 4

2005-10-24 8:58 AM oipolloi

IM & 1/2 IM transition prep

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1787 Posts: 4

2013-06-25 9:04 PM gobey007

Saddle choice for Half IM to IM distances?

Started by charles81
Views: 2137 Posts: 7

2004-11-21 8:30 PM piggpen35

Half IM prep b4 IM?

Started by charles81
Views: 1979 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 6:57 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.