General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone deal with constant fatigue? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-23 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: anyone deal with constant fatigue?
I am in the middle of the IM training grind. This means going 2 workouts a day 4 weekdays (1 rest day) with a long ride Saturday and a long run Sunday. I find myself contantly behind on rest even though I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep at night and do my best to rest when I get the chance. My problem is when I get to work (a sedentary job) I feel like I am constantly fighting fatigue and stay in what I would describe as a brain fog. I'm not sure if I am lacking calories to function or if I really am just exhausted physically. I generally eat what I want when I want so a calorie deficit should not be the problem.

My only other thought is too much water. I keep a 32oz water cup at my desk and drink on it constantly. In a typical day I will go through 4-6 cups. Could too much water be a cause?

2014-06-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: anyone deal with constant fatigue?

Low blood sugar is usually the cause when my head gets foggy. Without knowing more I might suggest you are behind on your nutrition. I think the idea is the brain cannot store energy and relies solely on blood sugar for energy. You might be eating a lot, but just not "Recovering" nutritionally from your workouts.

Kinda hard to tell because your logs are empty but as you can see from my logs, I am also putting in a bit of training and from my experience, keeping up with nutrition, especially when doing 2 or 3 separate workout sessions per day is key.

Maybe  take a look at what you are eating in terms of kCals, Carbs, Protein, Fat etc. and make sure you are getting enough. This can be super tough because getting an accurate read on your nutrition needs can be a dodgy proposition. I only have a general idea based on trial and error over the years.

Not sure if that helps or not....

2014-06-23 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I have gone through periods of feeling fatigued.

Unfortunately not sure why either, but my best guess is that you are needing rest.
A lot more than you think you are getting.

Are you sleeping some after your long ride and run ?

1 day off from training is probably not enough, and since your IM isn't until Sept...maybe plan to take another
day off for now. That extra day would set you up better for the long ride/run.

My schedule is similar, and I'm doing M & F off right now, but there is a friday run that will creep in as I get closer.

2014-06-23 6:59 PM

Regular
How often are you taking an easy week? Rest/recovery is 50% of the equation. If you are constantly fatigues, you do not reap all the rewards of your training.
2014-06-23 7:08 PM

User image

It's not too much water-- you can strike off that option. That said, drink to thirst-- you don't need to overdrink. Your body will tell you when you need water.

My guess is the fatigue is either over-training (not allowing enough recovery between hard workouts, not enough rest) or possibly an iron deficit.

You also might simply need more sleep than 7-8 hours for full rest and recovery. If you were getting that much sleep before heavily increasing your training, you probably need an extra 30-60 minutes sleep per night now.
2014-06-23 7:43 PM

User image

Are you only fatigued at work or are your workouts suffering as well?

2014-06-23 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by clemson05

I am in the middle of the IM training grind. This means going 2 workouts a day 4 weekdays (1 rest day) with a long ride Saturday and a long run Sunday. I find myself contantly behind on rest even though I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep at night and do my best to rest when I get the chance. My problem is when I get to work (a sedentary job) I feel like I am constantly fighting fatigue and stay in what I would describe as a brain fog. I'm not sure if I am lacking calories to function or if I really am just exhausted physically. I generally eat what I want when I want so a calorie deficit should not be the problem.

My only other thought is too much water. I keep a 32oz water cup at my desk and drink on it constantly. In a typical day I will go through 4-6 cups. Could too much water be a cause?

what do you do on your REST day?
2014-06-23 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, NY
I started to crash at one point. I was inadvertently restricting my food intake too much. I was taking whey protein after workouts, and my meals were vegetable heavy. I found that I was taking very little carbohydrates, and I was feeling beat up and had awful headaches. I've been better since taking in brown rice, and eating more complex carbs.
2014-06-24 6:39 AM
in reply to: gohmdoree

User image

Veteran
Sorry for not replying to the previous questions. Let me try to hit them all at once.

My "rest days" are always weekdays so I am working 8-9 hours on those days. I also coach a local high school varsity tennis team so I am on the courts 1.5 hours a day with the kids. I do have a sedentary day job so working is not physically taxing but it does require a good bit of "mental work" as well as dealing with pretty high levels of stress.

My workouts don't seem to suffer more than the occasional bad workout we all have. I rode 80 miles Saturday and felt good when I finished. After the workout I went to the lake and lounged around with friends in the sun drinking a few beers. As would be expected, my 14 mile run on Sunday morning did not go very well. I was just too dehydrated and didn't eat enough before my run. After 11 miles I bonked pretty hard and had to limp home the last 3 miles. The good news is this is not a typical performance. Once I get myself going during the warm up phase of a workout I generally hit my numbers and feel good afterwards.

After reading all of the comments I really do think it is just fatigue. The good news is I am leaving tomorrow for a 2 week vacation to Europe with the wife. I plan to try to get some running and maybe a few spin bike workouts in while there but honestly I am going with the intentional thought of not letting my workouts dictate my trip. I know 2 weeks off in the middle of IM training is not great for fitness but I am in no danger of Kona so I honestly think the trip may do more good than harm with a recharge of the batteries before the final few months of training.
2014-06-24 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Try separating your long bike and long run.  Try your long run on Wednesday and see if that helps with the fatigue.  I would never prescribe back-to-back long workouts unless scheduling/time constraints are an issue.

2014-06-24 7:24 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
MA

I would agree that you will be better off separating your long bike and long runs. No benefit to running on tired legs and adding your two big workouts on back to back days.

Enjoy your trip.

If this fatigue continues, you should reconsider your training load and weekly training plan. See if altering some aspect may allow you to absorb your training better.

2014-06-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
Is it your first IM? What's your history in the sport: years, races, past and current training volume?

After 2 years doing tris, I did my first IM this year and I increased my volume significantly vs. previous years. I also felt fatigued during the peak volume weeks. In my case, it was due to not enough recovery (I only slept between 6-7 h/day. I always functioned with 5-6 h/day, but 1 more hour wasn't enough during IM training) and nutrition.

I was able to fix my nutrition working with a sports nutritionists. You said that you eat what you want when you want and you certainly may not be in a calorie deficit, but you may not be eating what your body needs when it needs it (pre/post workout and during the day). Also, despite having a very demanding job, I was able to squeeze a 30 min nap during my lunch time and add 30 min extra at night. These changes, made me feel a whole lot different. More refreshed and ready to tackle any training session.

I am training for my second IM and, although I am not at the peak volume weeks yet, I am doing more intensity workouts and I am feeling better than when I trained for the first one. My body may be more adjusted to IM training, but I am sure my nutrition changes and recovery approach are key.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-06-24 10:52 AM
2014-06-24 11:29 AM

I deal with constant fatigue at some point in every training cycle I do. At first it was a real downer and even a bit scary having worked so hard just to feel like the dumps, but I kept training logs, and it pretty much always coincides with peak volume of my training. I know, duh no surprise, but the reality of ending up going slower and feeling worse after doing weeks of solid training is always a real downer.

You just have to remember that if you beat your self down to that degree, you're probably doing it right, and that after a pullback week, or a prerace taper, you'll be killing it compared to your old self. Of course, make sure sleep and health are in order, but if you look at your logs and you're doing pretty much your max volumes for a few weeks, expect to feel this way.

For me, following training plans are important specifically because they allow you to break through, even when you feel crappy like this. Without a plan, most folks give up from the fatigue and demoralizing slower paces just when they're about to really improve. If you're on a plan that you can trust, you can often hammer through an awful-feeling week or two, get a scheduled pullback week, and come back significantly stronger. (Many plans do volume pullback weeks every 3-4 weeks)

2014-06-24 12:47 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by clemson05

I generally eat what I want when I want  

Have you considered a more intentional and/or customized nutrition plan?

2014-06-24 1:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sylvania, Ga
I feel the same way right now. We must have similar plans, because I do my long bike on saturday and my long run on sunday too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone deal with constant fatigue? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone ever dealt with a bone bruise?

Started by trigal38
Views: 1241 Posts: 10

2011-10-02 12:13 PM jsklarz

Constant upper body fatigue

Started by syjenkins
Views: 869 Posts: 4

2011-08-18 4:58 PM lmihalcik

Anyone dealt with 3-athlon.com?

Started by RVachon
Views: 2565 Posts: 2

2010-12-21 3:02 PM jldicarlo

How Fatigued is Too Fatigued?

Started by nowalk
Views: 1606 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 3:18 PM nowalk

anyone else dealing w/ bad air quality?

Started by autumn
Views: 914 Posts: 3

2005-02-01 7:55 PM Blacktoe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Do you find that your heart-rate drops and your breathing gets labored during a workout? This may be a sign of overtraining, undernutrition or even heart disease.

date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.
date : June 9, 2009
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.

date : November 4, 2007
Do you get cramps after exercising? This article discusses 'exercise-associated muscle cramping' including the diagnosis, risk factors and some treatments.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Eating for Endurance: Strategies for Extraordinary Athletes