United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 03m 51s
Overall Rank = 30/726
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/96
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and had my pre-race applesauce and powerbar and started sipping on water. Managed to get out of the hotel by 4:30 so we could park not too far away from the park. At this point I was getting a bit nervous about how not nervous I was...maybe it was because I did this whole routine recently with Eagleman (had a mechanical DNF) so I was pretty relaxed at this point.
Swim
  • 37m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was actually the most brutal 70.3 swim start I've had! Within the first 200 or so meters I had my goggles knocked clear off my head and had to stop and put them back on. After that some girl tried to swim over me 3 times. By the third time she had me pushed almost underwater and I had to choose between going under and kicking her off. Finally kicked and never had that problem again for the rest of the swim. The chop starting picking up around the first buoy, along with the seaweed. Not a bad swim, but definitely not a good one considering how much improvement I've had in the pool since last year that is just not translating to open water.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure here. I managed to draft pretty well the entire race, just need to figure out why my improvements in the pool are not translating to open water time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

Long T1 for a 70.3!

I had a two piece wetsuit so instead of using the wetsuit strippers I took my top off and then ran up to T1 with my bottoms. I should have let them strip off my bottoms because it was tougher than I thought running that far in them. On the plus side it warmed me up for the bike ride.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a surprisingly tough one, and this coming from someone who's ridden the LP course the past so many weekends. The issue with this course is that the climbing is immediately, even with LP you have some nice downhills to get you halfway up most of the hills, Syracuse doesn't have this benefit. Somehow in all the commotion in the swim my Garmin got reset so I had no HR to base my pace off of, plus my Powerbar gels (which I've been training with) fell out of my jersey pockets so I had to live off the course which I had no planned on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Run
  • 1h 34m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was tough! I had mentally prepared myself for the big hill from mile 2.2 to the turn around, but you're immediately greeted with some grassy uphills coming out of the park. That coupled with uneven ground and not having my running legs yet scared me right away. Finally settled into a pace when I hit the road. Managed to choke down my powergels for the first out and back, at which point my stomach just started shutting down. I'm not sure if it's the not getting enough electrolytes from the gu, or not drinking enough perform, but my stomach was not happy. I could only manage to sip on some perform and flat coke. Somehow pulled out a decent second loop though and nabbed my Mont Tremblant slot!

Make sure I hydrate enough on the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

15 minutes easy job while cheering on the rest of the athletes from my area that came down to Syracuse

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to go by HR (because my Garmin got reset somehow and I tried messing with it on the bike but it was just being a pain) and probably not hydrating enough on the bike so by the time I got to the hot run it was a bit too late.

Event comments:

Overall, this was a very nicely organized race. Maybe it's because Eagleman was just a mess, but compared to E-man this was organized pretty well. The bike was tough, but about what I'd expect up here. The run was tough, maybe unnecessarily tough, but I think this benefited me in the end since I'm used to mountain running and snowshoeing.

Last updated: 2014-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/96
Overall: 0/726
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:45:59 | 56 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/96
Performance:
First 25-1:22:30 Last 31-1:23:29 (and that shows how hilly those first few miles are!)
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:34:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/96
Performance: Average
3.3-7:30 pace 6.5-6:45 9.8-7:34 13.1-7:07
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-24 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Subject: Ironman Syracuse

2014-06-25 4:02 AM
in reply to: #5016694

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman Syracuse
Glad to hear you think this course is comparable to LP. I thought this course was easy so hopefully LP isnt too bad.
2014-06-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: Live2ski

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Syracuse
Erin congrats on the MT slot you had a great race and you definitely earned it especially on this course. It's pretty tough and challenging as you are aware. You also did a great job staying composed during the race when things didn't go your way. That's just an awesome finishing time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Syracuse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by smagoon
Views: 1875 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 10:50 AM smagoon

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by steves_training
Views: 2746 Posts: 3

2010-09-21 1:10 PM steves_training

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by k.stuttle
Views: 1725 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 8:08 AM k.stuttle

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by marcag
Views: 2654 Posts: 5

2010-09-23 8:29 AM aquagirl

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by ferious
Views: 1902 Posts: 2

2010-09-19 7:37 PM JBougher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.