General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is the sport headed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-06-24 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Where is the sport headed?
USAT Adult membership is down, youth membership is up. On the adult side a very large % of "one-day members" is declining. Yet, more races are being produced each year, while the youth race options are decreasing, seems a bit backwards.

How many of these adult members are "bucket-list" people (see "one-day membership")? Have we seen the end of the Ironman "Bucket-Listers"? WTC races as a whole (70.3/full) do not sell out as much or as fast. Are the baby boomers that really drives up the participation for the past 5-10 yeas slowly going away?

What are race companies going to do? Create new ways for registration to increase? What about prices? Will race series start to contract? What about the coaching side?

I think the next 3-5 years are a pivotal time in the sport. This bubble bursting can be very good, poor coaches will disappear, poorly ran races will need to improve or go away, and hopefully a vision on the youth development will be more focused (this is where the future of the sport and way to bring up participation will increase).

Triathlon will always be a niche sport, but that doesn't mean the quality can be just as high as a mainstream sport.

2014-06-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Where is the sport headed?

Why do you think the next 3 - 5 years are "pivotal"?   From where I view it triathlon is as healthy as ever.  Plenty of people will come AND go...there is little longevity in the sport, and there never has been. 

The glut of "coaches" would be absolutely laughable if not for the truly talented ones among their ranks...less coaches would be a good thing.

Granted, most of what I see now in triathlon has to do with development and elite racing.....but wait until you see some of the training complexes that are coming down the pike to help bring our athletes up to a competitive level on the international stage.

Also consider....the sport of triathlon is not about the U.S. only.....it's in fine shape. 

2014-06-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Why do you think the next 3 - 5 years are "pivotal"?   From where I view it triathlon is as healthy as ever.  Plenty of people will come AND go...there is little longevity in the sport, and there never has been. 

The glut of "coaches" would be absolutely laughable if not for the truly talented ones among their ranks...less coaches would be a good thing.

Granted, most of what I see now in triathlon has to do with development and elite racing.....but wait until you see some of the training complexes that are coming down the pike to help bring our athletes up to a competitive level on the international stage.

Also consider....the sport of triathlon is not about the U.S. only.....it's in fine shape. 

Was hoping for you to chime in LB. Firstly, this was directed more to the sport in the U.S. hence the references to USAT.

As for the 3-5 years being pivotal I think with adult participation going down, this will lead to less races, and some companies (local) going away. As for the coaching, I completely agree that less is better, especially with triathlon.

I think the sport is healthy right now, and maybe moreso then it was 5-10 years ago, but I feel that some leaks (membership, low quality racing, etc) in the pipe (not always bad) are forming.

Key point here is that the future of the sport is in the youth and junior ranks and that will help build the elite racing within the country, as well as fill in the baby boomers that are slowly vanishing. With adult participation declining the exposure of the sport needs to come somewhere outside of Mom and Dad.
2014-06-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

This is going to sound like a bunch of rambling of thoughts that I've had about the sport, so bear with me:

I think it depends on where you race as much as what your goals are.  The average joe isn't as concerned about racing fast as they are about building to that IM checkmark.  They do sprints to prepare for Olympics to prepare for HIM to prepare for IM.  Usually at that point the combination of post IM depression and not having anymore goals makes these people lose interest in the sport.  

On the other hand you can have someone that wants to be fast in shorter course races, but the field they race is small enough to where they can look at the list of registrants and know exactly where they're going to place in that race.  Building up to being a local race favorite is fun, but once you get there what is next?  Race the same guys year after year? 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that would get exhausting after a while.

Edited by msteiner 2014-06-24 10:42 AM
2014-06-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by msteiner

This is going to sound like a bunch of rambling of thoughts that I've had about the sport, so bear with me:

I think it depends on where you race as much as what your goals are.  The average joe isn't as concerned about racing fast as they are about building to that IM checkmark.  They do sprints to prepare for Olympics to prepare for HIM to prepare for IM.  Usually at that point the combination of post IM depression and not having anymore goals makes these people lose interest in the sport.  

On the other hand you can have someone that wants to be fast in shorter course races, but the field they race is small enough to where they can look at the list of registrants and know exactly where they're going to place in that race.  Building up to being a local race favorite is fun, but once you get there what is next?  Race the same guys year after year? 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that would get exhausting after a while.

To answer your thoughts directly.

Can a need be filled for those IM developers. Sprint---> IM, what is there besides another IM to keep them engaged? Do they want to continually engaged?

Is it possible for nationals races to partner with local races. I think this could be huge for REV 3. Whether it be discounts, or rewards or something, is there a way for a partnership to be formed with a local races series that has a national race that swings by each year?
2014-06-24 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I think you are forecasting trends with insufficient data. The report indicates growth in all but last year: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/demographics.aspx

Am I missing something? There were a couple of declining years followed by a bounce back.

Re: Adult and boomer participation. Triathlon is really a first world self-indulgent and time consuming sport for people with high disposable income as it relates to bucket listers who are just looking to finish an Ironman. I think growth has limited market potential based on disposable income and competing endurance events that are a lot cheaper as people branch out into other fitness related things. I also think that the economy and the perception of economic uncertainty plays a role like it did in the 2000 and 2008 numbers.

That being said, I think it will keep growing and it seems to be getting more and more popular amongst the 40+ crowd around me. I do see some people shifting more into just running, cycling or other stuff that can be just as rewarding with lower costs though as the registration fees are lower and the need to travel as much for the big races like in Ironman isn't there so travel costs are negligent.

2014-06-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JAYCT

I think you are forecasting trends with insufficient data. The report indicates growth in all but last year: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/demographics.aspx

Am I missing something? There were a couple of declining years followed by a bounce back.

Re: Adult and boomer participation. Triathlon is really a first world self-indulgent and time consuming sport for people with high disposable income as it relates to bucket listers who are just looking to finish an Ironman. I think growth has limited market potential based on disposable income and competing endurance events that are a lot cheaper as people branch out into other fitness related things. I also think that the economy and the perception of economic uncertainty plays a role like it did in the 2000 and 2008 numbers.

That being said, I think it will keep growing and it seems to be getting more and more popular amongst the 40+ crowd around me. I do see some people shifting more into just running, cycling or other stuff that can be just as rewarding with lower costs though as the registration fees are lower and the need to travel as much for the big races like in Ironman isn't there so travel costs are negligent.

Yup that is exactly what I was referencing from. And yes growth from each year except last year, but the growth has become much less over the past few years.

Again taking this to what I see at races and how many fields are much smaller then they used to be. Several talking points on this topic.
2014-06-24 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by bcagle25  

To answer your thoughts directly. Can a need be filled for those IM developers. Sprint---> IM, what is there besides another IM to keep them engaged? Do they want to continually engaged?

Is it possible for nationals races to partner with local races. I think this could be huge for REV 3. Whether it be discounts, or rewards or something, is there a way for a partnership to be formed with a local races series that has a national race that swings by each year?

For your first point they probably don't want to be continually engaged.  

There is potential with your second point.  Maybe some kind of series point system where small race results can actually mean something.  I mean heck if I need and extra some odd points and a small race in Florida can potentially can give me it, then why not?  Maybe it makes the fields of local races more dynamic. 

2014-06-24 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25  

To answer your thoughts directly. Can a need be filled for those IM developers. Sprint---> IM, what is there besides another IM to keep them engaged? Do they want to continually engaged?

For your first point they probably don't want to be continually engaged.  

There is potential with your second point.  Maybe some kind of series point system where small race results can actually mean something.  I mean heck if I need and extra some odd points and a small race in Florida can potentially can give me it, then why not?  Maybe it makes the fields of local races more dynamic. 

On the second point, I was thinking more about money or discounts.

For example: Here is Wisconsin we have a large local series Race Day Events. Maybe something like, race 2, 3, 4 etc races with Race Day Events and get x% off a REV 3 race, or maybe the Dells race specifically.

This is a bit off topic but maybe it could work.
2014-06-24 11:32 AM

User image

Pro

You hit one of the biggest reason for burnout in good/fast triathletes.  Over the years I've known and trained with quite a few fast guys....and somewhere along the line they get the idea that they can beat most of the local folks so now it's on to trying to be a pro, or get major sponsorship, and they get their arses handed to them.....and find out that they can barely, if at all, compete with the guys/gals who are racing at the top end nationally.

Jr. is a prime example.  He won't race local races.....doesn't care at all since he can win or overall podium all of them.  Luckily for his there is an avenue to move up in competition slowly and methodically.  He's gone from local races, to ironkids national races, to Jr. Elite national races, and now he is on the verge of races like the Pan American Jr. champioinships.  This pathway has also allowed him to move up and be a top AG'er as he hones his race.  And it keeps him coming back for more.

I bring his pathway up because I think there is a place for this type of movement in all ages.  The Rush race by Rev3 is a case in point.  dmiller, from this board, got to find out where he stands against some of the top amatuer talent....and learned a ton.  If that avenue can stay open, and perhaps even get some TV converage, there could be some good growth from it.  The races are exciting and VERY spectator friendly.  The best point is that this type of racing tends to keep people in the sport.  IM racing is fine.....but it's full of people who are one and done with absolutely no concern for the sport other than their own goal of finishing an IM.  That's fine too.....but it doesn't support long term growth.  Give people a true path of more and more competitive short/medium course racing and you will keep them.

For the last few years the Jr. Elite series has consisted of 3 races and a Naitonal Championship......the races are across the country and even though the cost of traveling prohibits many from competing, the waiting lists for these races (only 75 participants in each age division/gender) are BIG.  There is talk of a major expansion....perhaps even moving to 6 or more qualifying races with the idea of making room for more young athletes.  Club swimmers have fouind triathlon, it's on the NCAA woman's championship sport list with college programs to start soon.  The wave of REALLY fast young athletes is just building in this country....it will be a boom for the sport here.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-24 11:40 AM
2014-06-24 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Dan Empfield touched on many of these things on Slowtwitch:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/Stakeholders_4207.html

2014-06-24 11:38 AM

User image

Regular

LB - Couldn't agree more. I think this sport is all about participants rising and falling. This is my third season and frankly, the only reason I continue is to force me to workout and stay in shape. I'm a MOP/BOP'er, so I'm not looking to podium, that ship sailed a long time ago. I focus on one race per year in the summer and may throw in one more in the fall. I am planning on a fall half marathon, so while not a tri, certainly in the family. It may be better to think about the endurance sports as a family and see participation is rising or declining. that may be more indicative
2014-06-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by JAYCT

Good points here, the average income in the US (taking inflation into consideration) has gone down over the last 4 or 5 years. That makes it difficult for people to indulge in this expensive sport.

I believe the membership fee is $48? So you have do at least 4 races for it to be worth it. Personally 4 or 5 races is all can get in in 1 year so if the fee goes up again I'll be buying the single day passes.
2014-06-24 11:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25  On the second point, I was thinking more about money or discounts. For example: Here is Wisconsin we have a large local series Race Day Events. Maybe something like, race 2, 3, 4 etc races with Race Day Events and get x% off a REV 3 race, or maybe the Dells race specifically. This is a bit off topic but maybe it could work.

Race Day Events came to mind for me as well, but for a different reason. They have a number of different types of races, not just triathlon. They run a number of running races, some obstacle courses and a pair of aquathon series near Madison and Milwaukee. So another avenue to explore could be to build these other combinations or work more with single sports too, growing a variety of related activities. I really like triathlon, but it's not all I want to do all the time.

2014-06-24 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Not sure what the future is, I'd imagine in 3-5 years there will still be a lot of people splashing around at the local masters class, wearing calf compression socks on the MUP, and out there riding around on P3's.  That's not going to change.  I think the only difference is that there will be a growth in short course and ITU racing.  This past weekend I was talking to the rest of the Open/Elite swim wave and several people had specifically brought a road bike to the race because they were training for ITU and were focusing solely on Sprint/Supersprint distance races for the year.  These same people were also venturing into criterium races as a way to prepare.  I'm not saying that the 70.3 and 140.6 races are going to shrink, because they won't, they will always be around since I think WTC has built a pretty successful company around them.

2014-06-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Clempson

Not sure what the future is, I'd imagine in 3-5 years there will still be a lot of people splashing around at the local masters class, wearing calf compression socks on the MUP, and out there riding around on P3's.  That's not going to change.  I think the only difference is that there will be a growth in short course and ITU racing.  This past weekend I was talking to the rest of the Open/Elite swim wave and several people had specifically brought a road bike to the race because they were training for ITU and were focusing solely on Sprint/Supersprint distance races for the year.  These same people were also venturing into criterium races as a way to prepare.  I'm not saying that the 70.3 and 140.6 races are going to shrink, because they won't, they will always be around since I think WTC has built a pretty successful company around them.

Training for what ITU races?  The problem right now is there are damn few races.....meaning almost NONE that you can enter if you aren't part of an elite pathway.  For adults you basically have to chosen by USAT.  Jr. races you can just enter....but need to be aware that if you can't swim well you will be lapped out of the race before you ever get to run, or sometimes even bike.

I'd like to see the numbers form REV3 on their Rush race....and I'd like to know about any other open ITU style draft legal races in the U.S.  I agree it's part of the future of the sport here.....but somebody needs to get the ball rolling.

2014-06-24 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Training for what ITU races?  The problem right now is there are damn few races.....meaning almost NONE that you can enter if you aren't part of an elite pathway.  For adults you basically have to chosen by USAT.  Jr. races you can just enter....but need to be aware that if you can't swim well you will be lapped out of the race before you ever get to run, or sometimes even bike.

I'd like to see the numbers form REV3 on their Rush race....and I'd like to know about any other open ITU style draft legal races in the U.S.  I agree it's part of the future of the sport here.....but somebody needs to get the ball rolling.

Not sure which one(s), one was 17 and mentioned a U25 Jr Elite race.  The other was doing enough racing for a good enough standing to get in, but was pretty sure he would.

2014-06-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro

Not sure which one(s), one was 17 and mentioned a U25 Jr Elite race.  The other was doing enough racing for a good enough standing to get in, but was pretty sure he would.

Eh...probably EDR races.  There are a few of them around the country and top 3 earn pro cards.  I think the category is actually U23 mostly.  Jr. level is 16-19.....the only races left there are the Des Moines qualifier and nationals in Westchester, Ohio.

2014-06-24 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

You hit one of the biggest reason for burnout in good/fast triathletes.  Over the years I've known and trained with quite a few fast guys....and somewhere along the line they get the idea that they can beat most of the local folks so now it's on to trying to be a pro, or get major sponsorship, and they get their arses handed to them.....and find out that they can barely, if at all, compete with the guys/gals who are racing at the top end nationally.

You've said it.  I feel it already, as I know that if I qualify for Sprint worlds I WILL get rocked there.  At my best I can't hang with the fastest amateurs much less pretend to race with the pros.

So I find myself stuck between beating people I know I can beat or trying to beat racers that I know I can't.  Or I can just ride club rides on the weekends and save the race fees.

2014-06-24 1:45 PM

User image

Pro

You've said it.  I feel it already, as I know that if I qualify for Sprint worlds I WILL get rocked there.  At my best I can't hang with the fastest amateurs much less pretend to race with the pros.

So I find myself stuck between beating people I know I can beat or trying to beat racers that I know I can't.  Or I can just ride club rides on the weekends and save the race fees.

My only suggestion is to race outside your comfort zone every chance you get.  It's expensive traveling around to find the best competition, but you can't race with those folks if you don't race them whenever you can.  Chicago is this weekend, you going?  You should be.  It's the same course as next years worlds and likely the best competition you can find this weekend.  You have to develope a different level of mindset about racing if you want to crack those top ranks....you have to actively search for better races and competition and plan AT LEAST a year in advance, and in some cases longer.....it's a process.  You may not have the ability or talent.....but there is only one way to find out.

2014-06-24 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My only suggestion is to race outside your comfort zone every chance you get.  It's expensive traveling around to find the best competition, but you can't race with those folks if you don't race them whenever you can.  Chicago is this weekend, you going?  You should be.  It's the same course as next years worlds and likely the best competition you can find this weekend.  You have to develope a different level of mindset about racing if you want to crack those top ranks....you have to actively search for better races and competition and plan AT LEAST a year in advance, and in some cases longer.....it's a process.  You may not have the ability or talent.....but there is only one way to find out.

x2 to the bolded. I raced some pro's and very high level amateurs at Rev3Rush, I'll be at sprint worlds too. It shows you what you need to work on, and for me, that I actually was closer than I thought to the higher level amateurs. Build the confidence, and build the engine.

2014-06-24 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Looks good from here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

annual memberships are mandatory for the kids and juniors in Canada... so it cost a whopping $15...

2014-06-24 11:32 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by dmiller5

x2 to the bolded. I raced some pro's and very high level amateurs at Rev3Rush, I'll be at sprint worlds too. It shows you what you need to work on, and for me, that I actually was closer than I thought to the higher level amateurs. Build the confidence, and build the engine.

x2. Most of my friends are pro, going for their card, or at the top %. So when I get some big gains and train with them its a realization of how far I need to come still. Then my glaring weaknesses show up, but they keep me chasing the rabbit.
2014-06-25 6:12 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
From my perspective, the sport is doing quite well. There's plenty of participants in the races. There's been some fairly major (on a regional level) tri companies folding, but it's not due to lack of participation, but rather, the cost of putting on a race is going up much faster than what the income is (the fairly minimal increase in price can't be offset with the larger number of participants, reducing the available income).

I also think there's more and more local races being organized outside of USAT, which means no need for membership. These people are still part of the sport though.
2014-06-25 6:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am not saying this is good, but what I see there is a continuing trend towards long course.
There are of course exceptions, but many people do the sprint and oly as a step to the HIM or full.
People that stick to short course are a minority.

WTC has done a great job of getting people's headspace.
What is scary is WTC is for sale and there are some scary thoughts on who's hands it could end up in.
This is what scares me about the future of the sport
WTC in NA owns long course

If a AGers truly wants to race against a tough field, apart from races like world ITU or Nationals, there are few races. If you end up having to travel, people opt for 70.3 races.

The really fast AGers are doing HIM and IM. They do local short course for fun, but they have their eye more on 70.3 and IM

If the trend is true, the fact it's moving to WTC races concerns me.

Edited by marcag 2014-06-25 6:34 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where is the sport headed? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

I am in, over my head! Pages: 1 2

Started by pga_mike
Views: 4854 Posts: 45

2013-09-01 4:32 PM happyscientist

So I am in Hilton Head for the week

Started by Parr8hed
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2009-07-06 9:30 AM bossfan

Am I in over my head?

Started by 4erica
Views: 1778 Posts: 14

2008-05-28 8:10 AM doubleplay

Am I in over my head ?

Started by JustTrish
Views: 1701 Posts: 15

2008-04-30 2:29 PM matt3liv

Am I over my head?

Started by bfraley
Views: 1170 Posts: 13

2004-06-11 8:18 AM bfraley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.