General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your trisuit for training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-24 12:08 PM

User image

Subject: Do you wear your trisuit for training
I am curious how often other people wear their racing suit for training to get used to it and find out if there are any problems. I just got a new trisuit which seems really comfortable, but I know from past experience that that can change when you get 3 hours into a race. I wear my triathlon suit some for training on the bike but I just cant bring my self to wear it running or swim training. I am just too self conscious I guess to wear it anywhere other than at races.

2014-06-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: jsrsy

User image

Subject: RE: Do you wear your trisuit for training
I think you already answered your own question, just take it out on a few runs, a few swims, a few bike rides and make sure you like it.
2014-06-24 12:25 PM

User image

i rarely swim in mine, but I do a lot of my bike rides/transition runs in it - for running, i'll typically just throw a t-shirt on over-top, so all you see is the shorts - mostly because the pad in my trisuit is thinner than those in standard bike shorts, so i want to make sure that I am good for at least the full-distance of my tri in that
2014-06-24 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i only wear mine for racing.  I'll do a few bricks with a new one to make sure there aren't any problems and then away it goes until race day.  

2014-06-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by jsrsy

I am curious how often other people wear their racing suit for training to get used to it and find out if there are any problems. I just got a new trisuit which seems really comfortable, but I know from past experience that that can change when you get 3 hours into a race. I wear my triathlon suit some for training on the bike but I just cant bring my self to wear it running or swim training. I am just too self conscious I guess to wear it anywhere other than at races.

I'm like you and am very self conscious about the suit and recently started trying to work up the courage to wear it to the pool or worse yet to run on public streets in it. I know its silly and there is nothing wrong with wearing the suit but I do I think I would be more comfortable wearing it with a group of people wearing the same thing. I'm guessing there is not a support group for this? I think I'll take baby steps and try mowing the yard in it first so if I freak out I can always just run in the house!

Edited by sawyer1206 2014-06-24 12:31 PM
2014-06-24 12:38 PM

User image

Miami
I bought a new trisuit before my first IM, as soon as I tried it, I knew it was a good fit. I never swam on it until race day. I wore it during a brick workout of 100+ mile bike ride and 6 mile run. The race went great and I didn't have a problem with it.

However, I do train with other trisuits during long rides and a few runs. I wear light padding trisuits as I want to make sure my body knows how to handle a 112 bike ride on a trisuit followed by a run.

2014-06-24 1:07 PM

User image

I guess I just need to suck it up, go for it and ignore the snarky comments and looks. Throwing a t-shirt or tank top over top is a good idea.
2014-06-24 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Just to test. One time for each new suit.
2014-06-24 1:55 PM

If you race in it, don't use it for training, you'll wear it out. The suit will never be tighter than the first time you put it on. IMO, cycling bibs/jersey for rides, running shorts and top for running.
2014-06-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I will wear it couple of times every year to run swim and bike in around April / May to make sure it still fits and holds the man berries in the right spot still.

Hate to discover a bad rubbing action going on half way through a bike ride.

2014-06-24 9:44 PM

User image

Pro

I wear mine to the office.

hey- it's a 'suit'.  right?

2014-06-24 9:58 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe once or twice a season for a ride, just to get my butt used to it before I race. I put on a jersey over the onesie if riding outside, though. A white woman in a one-piece tri suit on the clogged roads of Saigon would just be too ridiculous. I also have a pair of old tri shorts that I often use for brick workouts, so I don't have to change. I've raced in them but rarely do anymore as I prefer the one piece.

I found I really like the longer legs/compression feel of my trisuit for swimming, esp. when my legs are tired after a hard AM run. After looking for a swimsuit with similar features without success, I managed to find a fairly cheap Arena "trisuit" in Singapore that lacks the amount of padding I'd prefer for anything over a sprint, as well as a built-in bra, but fits really well and is perfect for swimming. So I use it for some of my Saturday pool swims (which usually happen in the afternoon after my long run, owing to pool hours.) I don't worry about it wearing out, because I probably wouldn't race in it. (I do bring it as a backup in case of "wardrobe malfunction" on race day, though.) Maybe psychological, but I'm consistently 2-3 seconds/100m faster in that suit. I call it my "speedsuit".
2014-06-25 6:52 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Originally posted by Clempson

i only wear mine for racing.  I'll do a few bricks with a new one to make sure there aren't any problems and then away it goes until race day.  

X2
2014-06-25 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jsrsy

I guess I just need to suck it up, go for it and ignore the snarky comments and looks. Throwing a t-shirt or tank top over top is a good idea.

Exactly. Screw what others think. It's your training and race. You have to know how it feels.
2014-06-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I have gobs of clothes for training specific to each discipline plus 3 or 4 , 2 piece tri suits to train in. I keep 3 suits a 2 piece short sleeveless a 2 piece Long sleeve and a sleeveless Onesie Just for raceing makes Race day seem a bit more special .
2014-06-25 12:01 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I will never NOT test race gear again after my latest trisuit experience.   I've owned a number of trisuits and they have all been fine. I am not one to fuss.  I tried on last year's new suit and it felt really good, no obvious issues.

Until... I got on the bike in my first race wearing it.  The chamois rubbed where it touched my legs and it was miserable by mile 5. Imagine the run.  Also, the top of the zipper rubbed a spot on my chest. 

I washed the suit a few times hoping it would soften up, but it never did.  $100 bucks in the garbage, plus a handful of miserable races.

2014-06-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro

I wear mine at the lake  for OWS practice. It's a club kit, so we kind of all wear them. Plus, the worst thing in the world is finding out a kit chafes during a race. Two years ago we got kits that were horrible, after Philly Tri it looked like we were in a war zone. Bloody circles under the arms. 

2014-06-25 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jsrsy I guess I just need to suck it up, go for it and ignore the snarky comments and looks. Throwing a t-shirt or tank top over top is a good idea.

Just watch out for the Starky comments.  Those might be the worst.  

I don't wear my two-piece tri suit for training.  If anything, I'll wear the bottom if I need an extra pair of bike shorts for the week.

2014-06-26 9:35 PM

User image

I decided I had better give my suit a test on a 6 mile run tonight and I am really glad I did before my race coming up in a couple of weeks. My suit felt great but after a couple miles I was in pain. Glad I caught it before it ruined my race. I only ended having one person make a rude comment when I ran past a group of insecure teenagers. lol...
2014-06-26 10:12 PM
in reply to: 0

I wear mine pretty much only for 'serious' training sessions (race sims) and racing, so not much more than 10x/year total, but honestly, I would have no qualms in wearing it day in day out if it were the best tool for the job for training. Nothing goofy looking about it in my eyes, and it's always good to train in what you race in.

The main reason I don't wear it frequently, is that in training, I find that dedicated cycling jerseys are superior due to the much more spacious pocket space to carry stuff on long rides, and the chamois on true cycling shorts is much better than the fleece pads on trishorts, so I can train longer. Similarly with running - my run pants have 5 pockets to stash all sorts of stuff, and if it's very sunny I can wear shirts with long sleeves for sun protection.

I don't avoid using my DeSoto trisuit because I'm afraid it will 'wear out' - they should be pretty bulletproof in terms of toughness if you've got a good set even if using them day in day out. The exception for this is swimming - the pool chlorine/bromine WILL wear out your trisuit prematurely, so doing take it into the pool. OWS is fine.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-06-26 10:13 PM
2014-06-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: morey000

Veteran
Summerfield, NC
Originally posted by morey000

I wear mine to the office.

hey- it's a 'suit'.  right?

Casual Friday

2014-06-27 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I wear a tri suit almost every time I ride my tri bike. Sometimes I'll wear tri shorts but prefer the onesie. I only wear it for running when doing bike/run bricks or in races. Only wear it for swimming in races.

2018-03-04 8:25 AM

Yes.. loads..I encourage you to wear it if your comfortable and don't care what anyone thinks. Im going to be an age grouper this year (male 45-50) and do i give a monkeys at that age what anyone else thinks?...a big fat no.....and neither should you. I wear it because its comfortable, i like it and i look alright in it...There's a whole lot of stupidity around wearing a tri suit other than race day. I have several spares i rotate for swimming but chlorine does damage the suit eventually so they can be expensive replacements. Theres also a lot of tosh around aero helmets. If youve just spent a fortune on a decent helmet and are comfortable in it....wear the bloody thing. I have a spare helmet so wear the aero much less but i will wear it more closer to race season.
2018-03-05 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I wear my racing gear probably more often than I should during training for the one reason it probably wears it out faster.

The old adage don't race what you don't train in. I also do a lot of runs on the home treadmill, so I could care less what I look like.

I'd at least get 1 to 2 workouts a month in your race gear unless you know fore sure what you're going to get. Just be careful with the swimming as the chlorine will degrade the fabrics a lot faster.
2018-03-06 12:31 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
For my racing tri suit; once before a race for a brick along with everything I'll be racing in as a test run, but that's it. I train in jammers in the pool, running shorts and a singlet running and tri shorts/tri top or a cycling kit on the bike.

A one piece tri suit is inconvenient and uncomfortable enough for a race, I certainly don't want to wear it any more than I have to. Just having to strip the thing off, and wrestle it back on to pee is enough for me to stay away, let alone the super small chamois pad on the racing suites and super small pockets for nutrition, etc, but if you dig it, go for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your trisuit for training Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Where to put my insulinpump wearing a trisuit

Started by Guggefar
Views: 1335 Posts: 8

2013-04-19 4:56 PM djastroman

For you HIM in training folks who are doing AM training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1817 Posts: 17

2012-06-21 12:08 PM Rudedog55

Anybody wear a trisuit for a marathon?

Started by jbrookscga78
Views: 2509 Posts: 8

2012-01-16 11:00 AM Baowolf

5/3/2 trisuit vs. 5/3 trisuit

Started by walterbshaffer
Views: 949 Posts: 3

2018-06-25 10:11 AM JoelO

Training in trisuit

Started by Denise2003
Views: 1083 Posts: 6

2006-04-26 9:51 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.