General Discussion Triathlon Talk » don't always trust the race organizer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-26 9:23 AM

Subject: don't always trust the race organizer
this article caught my eye because this woman is amazing in her grit. however, how she was injured made me really think about races I have done that weren't always safe. we do, and should, trust that the organizers do not run us into fires, floods, and dangerous areas. but it is big money, and cancelling costs lot of money. they don't always make the right call.

This past weekend I did a HIM that was quite dangerous in the route selection for the bike course given all the road construction, but also included a water station at the bottom of a very steep down hill causing the riders needing water to completely stop in front of the riders who were getting as much speed as possible from the downhill, plus large amounts of loose sand across the road in several areas, large pot holes and holes in the roads were not marked with orange paint, and traffic control that had no idea what it was doing, shouting at a driver to go despite having a stop sign and two cyclist with the right of way getting ready to turn in front of the car. I was sure I was going to see the cyclists taken out as I was riding my brakes to be prepared for the worst unfolding in front of me.

bottom line - if your spidey sense is telling you something is not right in a race, listen rather than say, 'no race organizer would allow something dangerous' (and I am in no way saying this woman could possibly have known, the point is, race organizers don't always do what is the safest)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2668469/Burns-survivor-Turi...

2014-06-26 12:40 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Subject: RE: don't always trust the race organizer
That is horrible. Good for her for bouncing back so well, though.

I did one race last year that I will never do again, even though it was very convenient. To start, there had been a couple days of heavy rain leading up to the race, and the river had a very strong current. They could have helped people out by having the downriver portion of the swim be in the middle of the river and the upriver portion along the shore where the current is weaker, but they did not. The day started with a "mini", which was even shorter than the sprint. It only had a 200m swim, and some people were out fighting the current for almost an hour. The lifeguards and kayaks couldn't stay with them because the current was too strong. By the time the last person made it to shore, he just collapsed on the dock. The officials should have sent kayaks out after a certain time, and just given everyone in the water that time. After the debacle with the first swim group, they had the rest of us walk upriver, and just swim down.

Then we got on the bikes. We started out on an MUP that was open to the general public with no signs warning people that we were going to be racing on it. We had to dodge elderly people, dog walker, people teaching their kids to ride, etc... We had no business racing on that path. When we finally got onto the road, it was very high traffic. There was once decent hill, and the people who went in earlier waves were holding up cars which were holding up those of us who started in the last couple waves. I actually got stuck in traffic while trying to race. Then it was back on the MUP. There was at least one collision between a rider and a pedestrian. Fortunately, no one was injured that I heard of.

The entire thing was a safety nightmare, and I will never do the race again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » don't always trust the race organizer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

$10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by lisac957
Views: 7693 Posts: 77

2013-09-05 3:51 PM triosaurus

PSA - Don't ruin your race on the way to the race

Started by ChrisM
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2011-05-04 9:40 PM mktoson

Confusion - don't trust equipment!

Started by purpleshoes2
Views: 976 Posts: 8

2011-05-03 1:09 PM purpleshoes2

Safety Reminder we all know about but don't always follow

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1678 Posts: 16

2010-02-03 6:29 PM merlin2375

Flying Deer don't always mean X-mas!

Started by nfd31
Views: 662 Posts: 2

2008-11-10 12:02 PM mdickson68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.