General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to get a tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 8:29 AM

Subject: When to get a tri bike
I was reading the aero road bike vs tri bike thread and it made me think. I'm new to the sport, and am looking at bikes. I have a older road bike, upgraded with dura ace components. I found a new 2009 Felt B16 for around $1300. I'm only a junior athlete and was just wondering, when do you suggest getting a tri bike?

2014-06-27 9:02 AM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: When to get a tri bike
I'm a tri newbie as well. Here is my plan. This year I am doing 3-4 sprints. I only have a MTB, but I put slicks on it, got some tri bike shoes, and SPD-SL pedals. I have been riding it on the trainer like crazy. Next year I plan to step up to Olympic distances. In the offseason, I will either pick up a good road bike on year end clearance or Craigslist. One that will last me years (think Ultegra as a minimum). In 2016, I plan to do a HIM or even an IM & in the offseason before that year, I will add a tri bike to the mix.

If your budget allows for you to have an N+1 bike collection, then go get it now. If you are only doing sprints or olympics, I think your DA roadie will be fine. If you are planning to go longer, that's when you should consider the tri.
2014-06-27 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
There is no right or wrong time. A lot of people think they need to work their way up the "hierarchy" or "earn" a tri bike... there's no qualification. If you want to go faster then you currently do on your road, mtn, cruiser, or ill fitting bike, then it's the right time.
2014-06-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I agree with the post above, get a tri bike when you feel it's right for you. You don't automatically get faster on a tri bike, but there are advantages. There are factors to consider: a tri bike is very specialized. It's not very group-friendly, not super-comfortable, and not great for riding around town. My girlfriend rides a road bike exclusively, and has a competitive IM Arizona finish under her belt on it, so it's not a given to upgrade ASAP. The advantages mainly relate to aerodynamics when riding alone, as in non-drafting situations. So, just weight your options and upgrade when/if you need!
2014-06-27 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

you state in your post that you're a junior athlete... i would postpone a big bike purchase until you are sure you are done growing. 

2014-06-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Broadlands

There's actually a formula to apply to this question:

IF(Garage contains Tri Bike) = (negative) Then (Purchase Tri Bike).

IF(Garage contains Tri Bike)=(positive) Then (all is good in the world)

in all seriousness, it doesn't matter what anyone says, if you want a tri bike and have the ability (financial) to support the purchase, then go get the bike.

Who cares what your reasons are.

Would a Tri bike help you regardless of your ability? probably, some.

Is it typical to see most competitors at a WTC Ironman event on a tri bike? In my (completely unscientific) observation, yep.

What about local sprints? nope, lots of flavors of bikes at the sprints.

So depending on what you plan to race you could argue you "need" a tri bike.

But honestly, when you should get a tri bike, is when you personally feel you need/want one and can support the purchase.

(from a guy that bought a tri bike before doing even my first sprint, because I thought it looked awesome, then got crushed on the bike leg by guys on mountain bikes with fairings that obviously thought training was more important than looking good) pah what do they know!

2014-06-29 10:49 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by standbyzero  when do you suggest getting a tri bike?

Tax return time. I suggest doing it before the 'intaxication' wears off.

("intaxication" = the euphoric feeling you get over your tax return before realizing that it was all your money to begin with)

2014-06-29 11:26 PM
in reply to: #5018297

You must get one now, simple.
2014-06-30 5:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by standbyzero

I was reading the aero road bike vs tri bike thread and it made me think. I'm new to the sport, and am looking at bikes. I have a older road bike, upgraded with dura ace components. I found a new 2009 Felt B16 for around $1300. I'm only a junior athlete and was just wondering, when do you suggest getting a tri bike?

when you can afford it and you are pretty sure you will stick to the sport for a while

A "new" 2009 ?
Also, double check if there isn't a recall on the 2009 Felt B16.

Edited by marcag 2014-06-30 5:13 AM
2014-06-30 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Beyond what others have posted; when you say junior, I assume you are under 20? If so, what are your goals in the sport and/or how fast are you? If you are a strong swimmer and runner, then you should give consideration to racing junior elite events (draft legal sprint distance races) and these require a road bike (although you can have short, bridged aerobars). If this is something that you might consider, I would stick with your road bike and add some short aerobars for the time being. Ride as much as you can, at least some of the time with a group, and race some junior elite events along with mass start cycling events (you'd have to remove the aerobars for these).

OTOH if you aren't looking at elite events, then the right time to get a tribike is when you can afford it and when you want to go as fast as possible in non-drafting events.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to get a tri bike Rss Feed