Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikram / Yoga or Pilates ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 3:45 PM

Veteran
Subject: Bikram / Yoga or Pilates ?
Hi All

What do you see is best for people training for triathlons Bikram Yoga or Pilates ? i just thought i would try one of these as both have relaxation benefits which would be great as well

any thoughts ? in which helps you with your overall fitness and performance in tri`s ?

2014-06-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: Bigdave001

Subject: RE: Bikram / Yoga or Pilates ?
I would go with Ashtanga Yoga if the choice were available.

Disclosure: I have never done Bikram, but there are other forms of yoga that I think might be better suited to athletes.
I can get good workouts in without the room being heated. I could be completely wrong about this, but I've done just fine at normal temperatures.

Pilates is good also. Lots of core and hip work, but I tend to get injured when I do hip work.
2014-07-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: Bigdave001

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I wouldn't call Bikram Yoga relaxing, though there is some definite mental benefit from it.

It's really hard if you go at it.  I've been doing it 1-2 times/week for about 2 years and have seen some benefits.  I don't know if they directly translate to triathlon but I think it helps keep my 45 YO body from falling apart (more than it is already, that is  ).

2014-07-01 3:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I wouldn't call Bikram Yoga relaxing, though there is some definite mental benefit from it.

It's really hard if you go at it.  I've been doing it 1-2 times/week for about 2 years and have seen some benefits.  I don't know if they directly translate to triathlon but I think it helps keep my 45 YO body from falling apart (more than it is already, that is  ).

This.

I enjoyed Bikram but not so much because it was relaxing. It was actually pretty challenging, physically.

As with most of these kinds of inquiries, doing Bikram Yoga (or Crossfit, or Zumba or spin classes or powerlifting or playing soccer or whatever) won't improve your triathlons as much as using that same time time to run, bike, or swim more, but if your goal is to become more rounded as an athlete, then almost any kind of cross-training is helpful.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-07-01 3:04 PM
2014-07-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Yoga over pilates, for sure.  Good for stretching and strengthening.   I have only gone to one pilates instructor, so maybe there are other types.

I also am not a bikram fan, personally.  I get sweaty enough on my own.  I'm prefer Vinyasa.

2014-07-02 11:44 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I did tons of Bikrams, but it get's boring.  I guess that's where the mental aspect comes in.

Gave it up for heated Ashtanga/Vinyasa Flow/Power yoga.  If you could only do ONE physical thing for some reason, then this would be it.  Cardio, strength, flexibility, core...  It's amazing.

However, it's not something you should do in addition to your regular training, per say.  It's a workout and should probably replace one of your other workouts.  For example, it might be tough to do a 60 minute power yoga class (75 for Bikrams if I recall) in the morning then have a long run session later that day.  OR, add a Bikrams/Power to your day off.  That should be your recovery/rest day and those forms are NOT rest.

There so many forms of yoga, and several of the "Hatha" forms are more for relaxation/meditation/stretching that could be incorporated with tri training and even done on your rest days, IMO.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bikram / Yoga or Pilates ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My wife and daughter on TV about Mama/Baby Yoga

Started by mnewton
Views: 600 Posts: 4

2006-06-28 9:10 AM autumn

Guys, just like my weekly yoga class...

Started by rollinbones
Views: 496 Posts: 2

2006-06-07 3:17 PM Marvarnett

yoga once a week

Started by m80
Views: 1592 Posts: 7

2005-03-14 12:51 PM m80

Yoga

Started by TheCecil
Views: 1048 Posts: 10

2005-02-23 2:51 PM cobi

Yoga? or Pilates?

Started by athena
Views: 931 Posts: 8

2004-10-08 6:00 AM tri-en
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.

date : December 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on IMWI preparation, May A-race preparation, lunges, yoga vs pilates, zones to lose weight and endurance loss over the winter.
date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : May 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : November 7, 2007
author : YourYoga
comments : 4
The focus for this first session will be on breathing. Breathing will be the foundation for the more complex and strenuous poses that will support your bodyweight in future yoga poses.

date : March 20, 2005
author : chrisandniki
Yoga’s something where one stands in a bizarre and ridiculous pose, listening to new age music, right? Wrong! Check out this primer for beginners.