Tricat Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 12s
Overall Rank = 248/257
Age Group = 35-39 Males
Age Group Rank = 26/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:00AM. This is the first race that I actually got plenty of sleep the night before. Had a Myoplex shake with a gel packet for breakfast (sorry, no banana). I had packed the car the night before, so it was a pretty mellow morning. I played with the dogs a little bit and headed to the race. Listened to Fort Minor on the way. I decided the night before that I would do this race without a computer on my bike and without the chest strap of my HRM. Just the stopwatch functions as a backup for the event's timing chip (just in case)... It proved to be the right choice.
Event warmup:

I got to meet Chris (PezKitty) while setting up my transition spot. It's always fun to meet up with BT'ers at a race. After setting everything up, I walked up to the North end of City Island for the swim start. Got into the water and swam a little bit. I was amazed by the visibility of the river. There was a small current, so I'm glad I got in to literally "test the waters." It helped in planning my route to the first buoy.

Oh, and my buddy Amy (TZero) painted my fingernails purple. They were all glittery and stuff...
Swim
  • 24m 22s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had an excellent swim. After the crappy swim I had at "Got the Nerve?" this past May, I have to admit I was a wee bit nervous. But once I got out into the channel and all was well I knew I was going to have a good day. I could see the bottom of the river for almost the whole swim. As long as I kept the layers of rock pointing in the same direction by looking down, I didn't have to sight at all (that underwater navigation scuba course has finally come in handy for something). I did however sight when it got dark overhead as that meant that I was approaching a bridge. I even managed to spy our race mascot - an honest to goodness catfish! It was by one of the bridge abutments on the Walnut street bridge. As I approached the exit the water started getting murky from eveyone standing up to sight for the exit. This is where I passed a few people because I kept swimming until I put my hand on the boat ramp. I only had to stop once to gag up a feather or bug or something that I inhaled off the surface that I really didn't want to swallow. Unfortunately for my ego it happend right in front of one of the safety kayaks and they got a good laugh out of me sounding like a cat hacking up a hairball... However, it felt great to be that comfortable in the water that I could say "Thank... you... for... helping... today..." to the folks in the safety boats as I swam past them.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I swam at an easy, steady pace. The point of this race was to check out my gear for next weekend, not set any records so I'm happy with my swim. Everything clicked and it almost felt effortless.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

My plan was to walk both transitions. I made my way to the bike, dropped my cap and goggles on my towel, put on my sunglasses and helmet, threw a bag of Clifshot Bloks in my jersey, felt like I forgot something, unracked my bike and left transition.
Bike
  • 46m 48s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to see what I could do on the tri bike since this was our maiden voyage (racewise). I took my computer off and wanted to ride by feel. I tend to get distracted by all the numbers and was curious what I could do to push myself without direct feedback. I started off on the small chainring to get the legs moving for a couple miles and then took the chain on the the big chainring. That's when I started to pass people. Lots of people. OK, maybe only a couple dozen people over the whole bike leg, but that's a huge accomplishment for me. That's also when I realised what I forgot in transition... To put on my number belt. I had to wrap my race belt around the armrests of my aerobars to keep it from blowing away (duh). I had no issues drinking from my Podium quest aero bottle and had no issues with the new tires. I was also very happy that I had no problems staying in my aerobars for almost the whole bike leg. The only time I got onto the bullhorns was at the turnaround, the changeup at Division Street and all the turns on City Island itself. In all honesty it was fun to pick someone and see if I could push it (and sustain it) hard enough to pass. The one thing I didn't want to do was go too hard and I was happy that as tempting as it would have been to go just a wee bit harder, I didn't. I had a vague sort of plan and actually stuck to it. I made sure to thank all of the volunteers and Police for helping keep everyone safe on the road. There was a stiff headwind approaching the Route 81 underpass. There always seems to be wind rushing through the water gap there. Since I'm built like a sail, I just tucked down into my aerobars a little bit more. However, being built like a sail is quite an advantage with a tailwind one the way back.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Again, no intentions of a fast transition so I jumped off my bike like I've practice a hundred times or more - well, except for not having a computer on my bike. Um, lets just say that I jumped off too soon and I was going a bit faster than my legs were ready to run. Thank goodness I didn't fall. I racked the bike, took off my helmet, threw on my socks and shoes, and threw my hat on as I started to leave my space.

Not much. A very good, articulate T2 for me. Just a bit slow, but that was the plan.
Run
  • 41m 48s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew right off the bat that since I've been mostly swimming and cycling when I actually have been training, that my run was going to be slow. It was. I probably walked about 100 yards overall, so I was really pleased with that. I thought I might have had to walk more of it. I just kept a steady pace and kept plugging away. I picked up a cup of water at the start of the second lap, drank a swig and dumped the rest on my head - dang, did that feel good. My adventure race teammate Cathy caught up to me halfway through the second lap and we walked together a little bit and chatted, then she started running again and left me in her wake. The neat thing about the run was that there was a small loop inside the big one and you could see lots of people. I recognised some of them and some of them recognised me with a shout out too. If anything, the hardest part of the run was passing the ice cream stand by the carousel. No, not because I wanted to stop for ice cream but it reminded me of all the times that Jen and I would go to City Island to walk, ride our bikes or rollerblade. I'm still amazed how badly I started to get choked up both times that I passed it.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and tried a couple of cartwheels. The first one ended up as a roll and the second one went a little better, but I just didn't have it in me to get my legs that high. My friend Mike got the second one on video... Drank some recovery drink, changed into some dry clothes and went back to the TnT tent for some fruit and a sandwich.

I was very proud of my friend Cathy and my TnT teammates. Cathy was able to go beyond her reservations about the swim to have a heck of a first tri and my TnT mentees - all of them did a great job. This was the first tri for many of them. They followed the rules and were great ambassadors to the sport for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. A couple of our coaches even won their age groups and one was third overall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Life. Seriously though, I was really pleased to finish in under two hours. It was my super double top secret race goal. The whole point of today was to have fun and check out my gear for next weekend. I had fun and all of my stuff worked just fine, so I'd have to call it a steaming pile of success.

Event comments:

Every year this race has gotten better. This year was no exception. The confusing spot of runners and cyclists crossing each other near the transition from last year was gone. The clean transition ins and outs were perfect this year.

Last updated: 2006-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:22 | 1056 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/27
Overall: 238/257
Performance: Good
Suit: Trishort, sleeveless top
Course: Swimming West from the "beach" on City Island towards Wormleysburg. A left turn once out into the channel then swim downstream between the 2nd and 3rd bridge abutments of all three bridges. Left turn to exit the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:48 | 14.5 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 196/257
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: "Flat" course upriver on Front Street from City Island to Fort Hunter and back. Closed course from City Island to Division Street, open road with lots of Police support from Division Street to Fort Hunter.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:48 | 02.8 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/27
Overall: 257/257
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course around City Island. A little bit of rise and fall and shaded for about 1/3 of the loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Catfish Triathlon - 2006

2006-08-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: #510591

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
Great race!! Congrats!
2006-08-14 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Great work Frank! Smartly executed race.
2006-08-14 8:47 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i think this is the first time a race report made me smile and cry at the same time. the part about jen and city walk got me. wonderful job overall. fantastic job on the bike, and kudos for leaving the gadgets behind. one of the best rides in a race i've ever had (enjoyment wise and speed wise) was last year when i forgot my cyclometer. i did just what you did - picked 'pace booty' and tried to pass them. anyway, fantastic job.
2006-08-14 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
2006-08-14 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
great race Frank.  Good job for achieving your super double secret goal.  You look comfortable in all your pics too!

2006-08-14 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Frank...awesome race.!!!

You who helped me through my many ows issues, kicked butt on the swim like normal....fun stuff!

Wow that tri bike rocks with your riding it...fun to pass people...congrats!

Running the whole time and having incredible memories of Jen...amazing.....special location for you to do a tri.

Congrats on beating your super secret goal....you are an inspiration!

2006-08-15 12:26 AM

User image

Congrats on a fantastic race - and you beat your goal too!  You must be very happy

Nice pics... you look speedy on that bike!!!!

2006-08-15 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
PA

I thought I saw your roll

Glad you had had such a good race, your bike did enduce some envy from the groupies that I had with me. It was a topic of conversation. 

2006-08-15 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Frank   COngrats on beating the super duper top secret time goal
2006-08-15 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Job well done. Keep it up! I'm glad you spotted a catfish - Kewl!

2006-08-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #511120

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Another great RR to read Frank, and congrats on the success on the tri bike!

I always read your RR's just waiting for you to mention Jen and I'm glad when you do.  If you ever wonder if we want you to - we do.  She's no less a part of your life now, right?  Since she's with you at every race tell us about her.

Thanks.

2006-08-15 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race, Frank. I'm glad it was a success, and I'm sure that you being there to support your mentees was a comfort and an inspiration to the newbies! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Catfish Triathlon - 2006 Rss Feed