Broome County Parks
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 9s
Overall Rank = 31/51 F
Age Group = 65-69 F
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

I thought I had lost my edge: my last workout had been sluggish & the night before, I didn't feel any excitement or even nervousness. I was almost done packing & started looking for my entry confirmation. I like to bring this, just in case there's a snafu at registration. Couldn't find it, either in my emails or printed out. Searched my credit card transactions, not there either. Was I losing my mind? Had I even registered for this race? Worked myself into a proper tizzy until I remembered I had sent in a paper registration with a check.
Then I knew I had the proper adrenaline flowing!
The rest of my race prep was just like the Senior Games.
Event warmup:

Arrived at 8 for a 9:30 start. Rode the bike a little just to check equipment. Planned where I had to get feet in-and-out of shoes. There is a hill ending very near transition (up on the out, down on the back) and I don't like doing that maneuver on a hill either up or down.
Then I warmed up my run for 10 minutes, including 2x 20" strides; HR never got out of zone 2.
Then I swam 4 minutes. Did my 3 minute breathing relaxation while waiting for the start of the men's wave .
Swim
  • 22m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

(Rank is compared just to other women, all of them younger than me.)
I've never done a beach start before, and it would require a different strategy. I positioned myself near the rear (since I usually have finished at or near the rear anyway) and to the left (inside) because I usually drift to the right. I observed from the men's wave that it seemed to be be better to wade less & start swimming ASAP, but my position in the back didn't allow it. When I did start swimming, I found myself having to swim around and between other swimmers, doing a lot of close sighting, and trying not to swim over anyone. I guess I was getting a little draft, but the melee effort used up all my extra starting energy, and I had to go into my TT rhythm of 1.20 very soon.
It was a good tempo for the race, felt a little fast but not hurried; kept it all the way to the end, sighting often & staying relaxed. I felt I finished stronger than I started, and for once passed quite a few swimmers. My %ile for the swim among all women was 35th, which compares to 39th for the bike and run, so it was a big improvement for me. In the past it has been 20th %ile or worse for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front; to the outside would be ok since my sighting has improved.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I must have been blazing because my time was 2nd of all women, and less than a second off of the leader's time. I love that!

nothing
Bike
  • 45m 43s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 15.09 mile/hr
Comments:

My mph was slower than at the EESG, but there were significant hills. I didn't do badly compared to the group (39th %ile). For the 1st time, My speed exceeded 40mph going downhill, but it didn't make up for the 7mph on the way up)
Once again, I rode by HR, keeping close to the threshold between 4 and 5a. Hit 5b just a couple of minutes when I had to get by someone on a hill.
The cadence meter didn't work; I must have bumped the sensor when I was getting my foot in. It didn't seem to matter since I can keep up a good cadence by feel. One day, I'll be able to do the same with HR!
Also, the race number interfered with the placement of one of my water bottle tubes, so I really only had 1 bottle to drink. Ate 3 Perpetuem solids & 2 Endurolyte caps.
Made the decision to remove 1 foot from the shoe before the last descent so I'd have plenty of time at the bottom before transition. Just flew off the bike at the dismount, passing 3 riders right there who were taking more time . I love that.

Sandwich the water tube for bottle 2 in the race number so neither flops around.
Also, I fee y hill climbing is weak. Need more training to help: maybe more hi repeats?
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This T time was only 27th of all 51 women so I am confused.The dismount was blazing, the run-in good, I run in slip-on no-tie shoes, no socks; I just grab all my stuff (hat, race belt, water bottle, GPS) and put it on while I'm running. Nor do I just jog out of the transition area. By the time I got settled on the trail, my HR was already in zone 4.
I'd sure like to know how other people do this in 25 seconds less!
(I did still beat almost half the other women though.)

Study the subject some more.
Run
  • 32m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Very plainly, this run would not be a PR. Last year I would have tried to tough it out and run up the incline; but I could see that my HR was already nearing zone 4 & I felt it was too early in the run. Even walking up, it got into 4.
On top of the dam, the grassy surface made the running slower; temperature had risen to 80; still, I got my HR back to zone 3 until the beginning of mile 3 when I went to 4.I did sprint the finish, but didn't quite make it to 5.
I was pretty beat when done and am happy with the time.
Nutrition: 1 hammer gel at mile 2 and small (10-oz ) water bottle. At the water stations I just dump it on my head.

nothing really. This running by HR is new to me and I'm kind of liking it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked. Drank Endurolyte Fizz & ate 1/2 Hammer Recovery Bar. Also whole wheat bread (1 slice) with pb; drank Recoverite. Had a slice of watermelon. Relaxed
Went home & ate lunch, then stretched before showering.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

decrepitude

Event comments:

Nice lake, not as deep and cold as the Finger Lakes. I doubt it ever gets as choppy, and has no motorboats to make swell. Sandy bottom pretty clear of weeds.
The view from the top of the dam is extremely nice.
I'm very happy with my swim: I felt confident ans strong throughout, and my time was right where I felt it should be.
Although my bike & run times were slower than in my previous race, I am happy with them considering the terrain.
I take transitions very seriously. I beat my AG competitor by 10 minutes, but almost half of that was in the transitions. I am of course ecstatic with my T1, but my T2 was somewhat disappointing.
All in all, another good race and time for a week's vacation in Oregon!

Last updated: 2014-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:23 | 880 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 33/51 F
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Triangular in a warm, calm reservoir. Some weed on the right side
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:43 | 11.5 miles | 15.09 mile/hr
Overall: 30/51 F
time in Zone 4: 23:57 time in Zone 5a 18:23 time in Zone 5B: 2:18 time in zone 5c: 1:05
Wind: None
Course: Highway with cars. 3 long hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:44 | 03.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 30/51 F
Performance: Average
time in Zone 2: 42 seconds time in Zone 3: 19:02 time in Zone 4: 13:00
Course: First 3/4 mile on paved fairly flat trail; then up a very steep incline onto a dam; along the top of the dam the surface is grass; then turn around, down the incline & back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-29 11:19 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Broome County Triathlon

2014-06-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5018991

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Broome County Triathlon

Excellent race effort!

Yes, we can gain or lose AG placing by the execution of the transition times.  Good point to remember.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broome County Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Broome County Triathlon

Started by shanec_75
Views: 1746 Posts: 1

2007-07-09 4:31 PM shanec_75

Broome County Triathlon

Started by PsychoEddie
Views: 1530 Posts: 1

2007-07-08 12:53 PM PsychoEddie