General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Louis Tri | Octomax (Sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-29 4:08 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: St. Louis Tri | Octomax (Sprint)
First Congrats to Ryan Harwell (MTC) for taking the WIN in the Halfmax (4:18:16)- second place came in almost 30-mins later (4:46:03).

We had a great weekend in St. Louis. Drove in Friday and dropped kids off at my parents and hung out with them for awhile and had some dinner. After that Caroline and I headed back to Warrenton to check into the hotel.

Set the alarm for 4:30 and was out the door by 5:18. It's a fairly short drive to Innsbrook Resort - maybe 15-mins. When we arrived it was overcast and the humidity was near 100% although once the cloud cover cleared, right at race start, the humidity dropped back to around 70%.

I was really looking forward to doing the race again since this was my first ever race last year and the venue is awesome. Unfortunately they completely changed the course so I can't really compare my performance to last year. Also last years weather was about perfect with low humidity and much cooler temps.

I want to say right up front, Ultramax yet again put together a great experience, which included everyone's favorite - Ironband. Decent food at the end for racers and good beer from Rock Bridge Brewery.

Ok back to the race. This was my "A" Race this year and I would say training leading up to it was pretty good. I dropped 14lbs over the 12-weeks, however in the early part of the Peak Phase my right knee and left achilles flared up a bit which required a few days off followed by less than maximum efforts the following week - nothing that really concerned me.

I was feeling really good going into this race and personally thought I might see some PR's. In the end I would have to say I am a bit conflicted in how I feel about my effort. After my results in the KC Tri, I told myself I would improve my transition times and increase my LPE on the bike. I followed thru on both of those of those items. Where I'm conflicted is my poor results within my age group, not that I expect Top 3 but closer to MOP is what I was looking for. Based on the stats, I really need to pick up major bike fitness (hills really take a hit on me) as well as continue to work on the run.

Hopefully the improvements in my run will occur as I begin training for my first Half Marathon this fall. As for the bike, I'm going to build in longer rides throughout the summer and more hills (short & long).

OK here is the race by the numbers:

SWIM | 500m
Time:.....10:14 (2:03) PR
Age Pl:.....6/12
Male Pl:.....38/89

T1
Time:.....3:15
Age Pl:.....3/12
Male Pl:.....25/89

BIKE | 19-mi
Time:.....1:12 (15.7 mph)
Age Pl:.....11/12
Male Pl:.....67/85

T2
Time:.....1:45
Age Pl:.....7/12
Male Pl:.....55/89

RUN | 3.4 mi
Time:.....37:12 (10:57)
Age Pl:.....10/12
Male Pl:.....59/89

TOTAL TIME:.....2:04:56
Age Group (M45-49):.....10/12
Male:...64/89
Overall:.....90/165

Additional thoughts:
Going into this race I was most concerned by the ALL MALE Wave Start. With 89 guys starting at once this was going to be a new experience for sure. In my past two races the groups were much smaller and it didn't take long to find some clear water to swim and settle into a rhythm. I really didn't know how I would handle this. I decided to HTFU and positioned myself toward the front instead of hanging back and get some experience swimming in close quarters - and boy did I! I quickly tucked in behind the first feet I saw - thankfully this person swam at my pace :-) I had racers on either shoulder and hands hitting my feet for the entire 500m.

Honestly I really like the long distance on the bike for a Sprint (even though it exposes my weakness)

Bottomline: 3-years ago I didn't swim or run and only occasionally rode my MTB. Yesterday, I competed for 2-hours and lived to tell about it ;-)

I would highly recommend this race for those in KC as a nice alternative to those hosted at Clinton and Longview. Great venue, scenic course, clean lake and hills, hills and more hills :-)

Now I need to pick a late season race to do just for fun...

2014-06-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: St. Louis Tri | Octomax (Sprint)
Harwell is a beast. Sounds like a well run race. I think based on your experiences, I will make the trip out there next year. I really like Ultramax and think they do a great job. Congrats on your improvement. It is hard to see time improvements from course to course, but it sounds like you are feeling the improvement. A bunch of us are doing Cedar Creek and Silverback in September.
2014-06-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: joncolby

User image

Shawnee, KS
Originally posted by joncolby
Harwell is a beast.

I would be real curious to hear what he thought of the course - especially the run portion.

Originally posted by joncolby
A bunch of us are doing Cedar Creek and Silverback in September.

I didn't know about Cedar Creek - I will definitely sign up for that. So close to the house and I ride out to the Monsanto Loop all the time to do my intervals.

Is this the first year for the race?
2014-06-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

I don't know about you, but I thought that run course was brutal.  Felt like at times I was hiking more than running...

2014-06-30 11:45 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Shawnee, KS
Originally posted by Danmartinids

I don't know about you, but I thought that run course was brutal.  Felt like at times I was hiking more than running...

While my garmin profiles don't prove this to be the case - the run course sure felt hillier than the year before. My heart rate alarm (Z5) kept going off the entire run. So much so that Training Peaks notified me that I now have a new "higher" LT :-)

Thankfully we had plenty of shade.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Louis Tri | Octomax (Sprint) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Louis Tri

Started by Ranski
Views: 497 Posts: 1

2014-05-04 9:57 PM Ranski

St. Louis 5150 | Post Race

Started by Ranski
Views: 1020 Posts: 7

2013-07-02 6:50 PM funkj25

Roll call: 5150 St. Louis

Started by dprocket
Views: 1224 Posts: 13

2013-06-30 6:05 PM dprocket

Branson Sprint Tri (or half iron) on Sept. 18th?

Started by Jayhox
Views: 1972 Posts: 5

2011-08-15 8:32 AM Jayhox

Kemper to 2nd St.

Started by Hot Joe
Views: 1022 Posts: 4

2008-04-07 2:00 PM Hot Joe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.