General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
ITU World Triathlon Series
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sally's did the Olympic and I did the Sprint. This means she started at 6:10am and I started at 11:45am. We arrived at the race around 5am so Sally could set up her transition area. It was pouring down rain as we were walking to the transition area from the subway stop. She got her area set up and we walked to the start. we didn't think to bring sandles, so her feet were pretty sore by the time we got to Monroe Harbor. I helped her into her wetsuit and she was off..
Event warmup:

I went down to Walgreens near the race for some sandles. Walked a few miles during her race as I tried to get in a good position to watch her. This means I missed her on one bike lap. After her race, I went to transitiion to get my area set up. Then we went to the grandstands to watch the Olympic folks finishing. Fun!
Swim
  • 22m 42s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 12m 9s
Comments:

I'm bad at transitions. There was a pretty long run from the swim finish, under Lakeshore Drive, then to the park where the transition area is. When I got there, I couldn't find my bike (I passed it twice) so that added some time. When I finally did find it, I had a really difficult time getting the wetsuit off. I didn't take off my timing chip and that took some extra time to try to get it off without hurting the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 40m 47s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.42 km/hr
Transition 2
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

T2 went okay. I forgot to take off my bike gloves and realized it at the first water station. Other than that, pretty smooth and easy. Could have been faster, but I'm just slow and took a little time.
Run
  • 43m 50s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 46s  min/km
Post race
Event comments:

I loved this race! It was super organized and I felt like I was part of something really big. I'll do it again next year, for sure!

Last updated: 2014-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:42 | 750 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: It was a straight shot in Monroe Harbor. It was so hot outside that the cool water felt wonderful! It was my first OWS this year, so anxiety did get to me a bit, but I remained confident and got through it okay. I've been practicing bi-lateral swimming in the pool. But on race day, it added to the anxiety, so I went back to breathing only on my right side. This is something I'll work on more this summer.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 12:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:47 | 20 kms | 29.42 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The course was fun! I was warned by Sally not to wear sunglasses as most of the course is on Lower Wacker drive, and fairly dark. I'm glad I took this advice.. I had to stop twice during the bike. On the first lap, I knocked off my computer. I pulled over and was able to get it without any danger, thankfully. The 2nd lap there was an ambulance who was taking someone away, so they stopped the course for about a minute. Better to be stopped, than in an ambulance. I felt like I was flying down there! Was really neat to ride on Lower Wacker!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:50 | 05 kms | 08m 46s  min/km
Performance:
Course: The course was hot! Really hot! Super sunny and no shade. But it was really neat running through Grant Park and around Buckingham fountain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-30 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ITU World Triathlon Chicago - Olympic Course

Started by rdietz
Views: 955 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 8:31 AM rdietz

ITU World Championship Series San Diego Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by ZuluRoadmaster
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 9:13 AM ZuluRoadmaster

Started by lmhutch86
Views: 1662 Posts: 3

2012-07-06 9:53 PM joey chavez

Started by Joeyoc
Views: 1070 Posts: 1

2012-05-16 11:27 PM Joeyoc

Started by jaclynembry
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2012-05-15 12:43 AM jaclynembry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : December 14, 2004
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.