General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 14s
Overall Rank = 317/635
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/61
Pre-race routine:

Drove in to San Diego Saturday with A and G, rest of the family came in later in the day. We were in a hurry to make it in time to the race site, everything was smooth at packet pickup and bike drop off. We were staying in Imperial Beach for this one so we made our way down to the hotel to get some rest. For this race I decided to just have the family meet me at the finish line instead of getting up in the wee hours of the morning. They have been there for me so many times for the full day I figured they could sleep in this time. Also, logistically this one is a pain in the butt with the finish line so far away from the transition area. They run shuttles back and forth which is awesome, but it's a pain for the family to have to mess with that. I got up at 4:00 am (after waking up at 2 am and 3 am waiting for the alarm clock to go off) and left for the race site. I parked in the paid parking directly across from the transition area, worked out great to use the bike pump and put it right back in the car. Had plenty of time to get my transition area set up then headed over to the beach.
Event warmup:

At the beach the zipper on my wetsuit was stuck, some dude helped me out which was cool. I got in the water much earlier this time than I normally do, that was great since I felt a little more comfortable once the race started. I warmed up with a few hundred meters of swimming around. Also floated on my back awhile, that always helps me to settle the nerves before the horn sounds. When I got over to the start buoy an old guy in the boat was trying to give course instructions over a barely functioning megaphone. Nobody could hear him, we kept asking him to turn on the megaphone or turn it up, it eventually became comical. Dude also liked the word tetrahedron as he kept describing the buoy's shape, that was cracking me up.
Swim
  • 16m 3s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Some jostling at the start but not too bad. It took awhile to get into my three stroke breathing. I could feel the wetsuit scratching my neck a bit, need to take a look at that. I ended going a little off course as I got to the turn buoy and ended up inside the buoys. Had to course correct and angle back out to get around the first turn buoy so that was a bit of a drag. Sighting was good on the return stretch. Very happy with the time, I was expecting to be closer to 20 minutes. As soon as I got on the bike and saw the time of day I knew that I'd be happy with the swim time.
What would you do differently?:

I really wish I could get out for more OWS. With our location and busy schedule I never get to train in open water. Besides that there is nothing I would do differently, this was an awesome swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Got through this transition really well, I was allowing for something in the 3 minute range so I picked up a little bonus time here.

Nothing, good T1
Bike
  • 53m 13s
  • 17.54 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Started a little slow on the bike after pushing the swim. Getting over the first little hills on the bike I didn't feel super strong. Once I got to the first flat I started ripping it. Glad to start in the earlier waves so that there was little traffic on the course. Unfortunately I saw a guy crash in front of me, didn't look too serious but his day was over. I was mostly passing guys on the bike, was back and forth with a couple guys throughout the race. On the second loop I saw a pair of nice sunglasses on the road, I was close to stopping for them but powered on since I was going for the PR. Felt really good throughout the bike ride. I was hoping to eclipse the 20 mph average but maybe I ended up with more in the tank for the run.

Not much, my bike training leading up to the race was going well, I think I got everything out of this ride that I could.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Heard the announcer say that the lead male was on the last mile of his run when I was coming in to T2. Do they really need to do that? I felt nothing but bitterness and anger for that guy, I still had 6 miles to go, lol. T2 was good, got out of there as quick as I could.

Nothing, good one
Run
  • 55m 2s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The first couple miles were a struggle, my legs felt really heavy coming off the bike. After the second mile marker I started to feel good and had a nice rhythm going. I think that a decent part of my struggle in the run is mental, this time I was telling myself- push the run, leave nothing in the tank, won't get a chance to put in a better run time for quite awhile, etc. Had a gel at the aid station just after mile three. My plan was to have the gel midway through the run, the plan did not include nearly choking on the large gulp of water after I finished the gel. That jacked me up for a few seconds as I tried to recover from my near dry land drowning. I checked my pace often to try to keep my speed up. Going in I had planned to start off the run on an 8:45 pace and see how long I could hold that with a goal in mind of 9:00 pace for the entire run. I felt good enough to stay right around the 8:45 for the whole thing.

Nothing, I am super proud of the result, this was an awesome run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw the family just before the finish line then tracked them down after crossing the line. I had a few sips of water and no desire to eat yet. We waited for awhile for the times to be posted. The family knew that my goal was 2:15 and they were excited that I had a great run and got the PR I was going for. The kids were hitting the CLIF sample table pretty hard while we waited. After we saw the official time we made our way to the car. On the way we saw a Starbucks and got some food, apparently I was ready to eat because that bacon breakfast sando was fantastic. After that we found the cupcake place that we had scouted out during our pre-trip planning. We picked up a dozen and went back for my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can't say that I was limited. I exceeded my goals and expectations for the race. Based on my training, this was a better than desired result. I am totally satisfied with my effort and performance, it was a good day.

Event comments:

Koz puts on fantastic events, I will do their races again and would recommend them to anyone who asked. Very good medal.

Last updated: 2014-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:03 | 1000 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/635
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU
Course: Rectangle, San Diego Bay, zero waves
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:13 | 17.54 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Avg- 165 Max- 177
Wind: Little
Course: San Diego Bay up to the lighthouse, a little hilly with an extra loop back and up for the international distance
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:02 | 06.27 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Avg- 171 Max- 182
Course: Flat, out onto Harbor Island then along the Embarcadero to Seaport Village
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-30 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

2014-06-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: #5019373

User image

Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - International Course
Awesome race and report. Congrats on crushing your PR. Sounds like the perfect day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by lmscozz
Views: 2738 Posts: 9

2010-06-29 11:34 AM cjhild

Started by cjhild
Views: 2377 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1647 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1675 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1672 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.