General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Like a girl Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-01 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Subject: Like a girl
Saw this recently on the net. And, while this is a short youtube commercial, if you can discount the 1% of it that has the sponsor plug, this video about girls in sport is powerful. The world is changing, and we thank our lucky stars for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTst

Greg @ dsw

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2014-07-01 7:43 AM

2014-07-01 8:01 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Subject: RE: Like a girl
When there is no difference between cup of joe and triathlon talk, why bother going to one of them.
2014-07-01 9:19 AM

New user
Key West
Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks

Saw this recently on the net. And, while this is a short youtube commercial, if you can discount the 1% of it that has the sponsor plug, this video about girls in sport is powerful. The world is changing, and we thank our lucky stars for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTst

Greg @ dsw

Thanks for sharing that. I actually teared up. I have spent my whole life fighting stereotypes about women. I am 60 years old and went through school before Title IX in a state where girls had no real opportunities to participate in sports in school. Also fought the stereotypes in law school and the Navy. I am hopeful that in my life time doing something "like a girl" will have only positive connotations.
2014-07-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I want to run like Rinny so I guess I want to run like a girl
2014-07-01 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by topolina
Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks Saw this recently on the net. And, while this is a short youtube commercial, if you can discount the 1% of it that has the sponsor plug, this video about girls in sport is powerful. The world is changing, and we thank our lucky stars for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTstGreg @ dsw
Thanks for sharing that. I actually teared up. I have spent my whole life fighting stereotypes about women. I am 60 years old and went through school before Title IX in a state where girls had no real opportunities to participate in sports in school. Also fought the stereotypes in law school and the Navy. I am hopeful that in my life time doing something "like a girl" will have only positive connotations.

Don't worry....we're on it at our house.....here's my girls (twins).....Damn right "like a girl"!  Both 13 in these pics.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-01 9:49 AM

(laurenswimsmall2.jpg)

(bow2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
laurenswimsmall2.jpg (112KB - 11 downloads)
bow2.jpg (79KB - 10 downloads)
2014-07-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by Left Brain

"Damn right, like a girl"! 

Sweet (and kick-a*ss) pics.

And love the quote above.

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2014-07-01 9:57 AM

2014-07-01 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

i want that on a running top.
2014-07-01 11:03 AM

User image

I know, I saw this on Facebook and shared the $hit out of it. Makes me want to kick a$$!!!!

Patti
2014-07-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

Don't worry....we're on it at our house.....here's my girls (twins).....Damn right "like a girl"!  Both 13 in these pics.

The pics are great, however, when you put them together like that I can't help but wonder what the first one did!

2014-07-01 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks Saw this recently on the net. And, while this is a short youtube commercial, if you can discount the 1% of it that has the sponsor plug, this video about girls in sport is powerful. The world is changing, and we thank our lucky stars for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTstGreg @ dsw

As a dad with two girls myself, all I have to say about this is...oh, hell yes...
2014-07-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: randym95

User image

Exton, PA

When my daughter wants to take shots on goal(soccer) I won't even stand in the net anymore! I put son in there, that $hit hurts when she fires it in!!!!

2014-07-01 11:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

The pics are great, however, when you put them together like that I can't help but wonder what the first one did!

That's funny you wrote that......because, living with her and knowing how she feels,  if I had to caption the second pic it would be, "go ahead, say triathlon one more damn time!"   HAHAHA!!

2014-07-01 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Father of three girls myself....

What I find most interesting is that I think my oldest (20) may have responded to the question the same way as the older ones in the commercial did, and my youngest (7), who takes competition (in any & everything) to a whole different / more intense level than her sisters, would have also responded as the younger kids in the video. I don't really know how my 10 y.o. would have responded, but it just might make for an interesting dinner conversation tonight.

Thanks for sharing.
2014-07-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: mandsberry

Now I want to know how the dinner discussion goes!
2014-07-01 6:16 PM

User image

Hmmm, just the other day after my son finished baseball coaching, I had him watch a girl taking batting practice before we left. I believe I told him, “THAT's how you do it!" Yeah, the ball may have been a different size than he uses, but she was pounding the cr@p out of it like nobody's business. I'd be pretty proud of him if he could hit like that girl (note: he's 10, she was probably 16 or 17).
2014-07-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Veteran
Originally posted by StaceyK

i want that on a running top.

ditto

2014-07-02 10:11 AM
in reply to: randym95

New user
Key West
Originally posted by randym95

As a dad with two girls myself, all I have to say about this is...oh, hell yes...

Loved the pics Left Brain and the sentiment of all of you Dads. The times they are a changin' ( I hope and trust.) BTW, I want that T-shirt too.
2014-07-04 5:45 PM

Veteran
Wow. I guess I never thought about it, but Title IX probably changed my life. I had an older sister who sat out of PE when she had her period, because that's what girls were supposed to, or allowed to do. She never participated in sports, and has struggled with being overweight most of her life. I, on the other hand, tried out for cheerleader my sophomore year in high school, and didn't make it. I wanted to stay in 6th period PE so I had to go out for a sport. Title IX had just mandated that all sports have a girls team as well as a boys team. I went out for cross country, not knowing what the he## it was. My coach asked me to run eight times around the track the first day. I did it, and was sore the entire week, but I went to practice every day.

I ran competitively for two years in high school and went to CIF finals. I am 53 years old now, and I am still running. I doubt that I would still be cheerleading if I had made cheerleader. Running helped increase my self discipline, and get me through college. My first date with my husband was a "running" date. Depression runs in my family, and I have been through some tough times in my life, but running has always helped me deal with them. I don't have daughters, but have two adult sons that are very proud of their athletic mother. I have never struggled with my weight because of my running. Three years ago I transitioned to triathlons, and I am so happy that I can still do all that I can do in my 50's. I look very different than my mother did in her 50's.

As far as I'm concerned, I will keep running "like a girl" until I die, or until I can't.
2014-07-05 5:49 AM
in reply to: punkster

New user
Key West
Originally posted by punkster

Wow. I guess I never thought about it, but Title IX probably changed my life. I had an older sister who sat out of PE when she had her period, because that's what girls were supposed to, or allowed to do. She never participated in sports, and has struggled with being overweight most of her life. I, on the other hand, tried out for cheerleader my sophomore year in high school, and didn't make it. I wanted to stay in 6th period PE so I had to go out for a sport. Title IX had just mandated that all sports have a girls team as well as a boys team. I went out for cross country, not knowing what the he## it was. My coach asked me to run eight times around the track the first day. I did it, and was sore the entire week, but I went to practice every day.

I ran competitively for two years in high school and went to CIF finals. I am 53 years old now, and I am still running. I doubt that I would still be cheerleading if I had made cheerleader. Running helped increase my self discipline, and get me through college. My first date with my husband was a "running" date. Depression runs in my family, and I have been through some tough times in my life, but running has always helped me deal with them. I don't have daughters, but have two adult sons that are very proud of their athletic mother. I have never struggled with my weight because of my running. Three years ago I transitioned to triathlons, and I am so happy that I can still do all that I can do in my 50's. I look very different than my mother did in her 50's.

As far as I'm concerned, I will keep running "like a girl" until I die, or until I can't.

Well, as some encouragement (it encouraged and humbled me) there was a 91 year old woman who set a world record for the marathon when I ran the Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Marathon on June 1. This woman has survived cancer twice and is one of the most vibrant people I have ever seen. Gives me hope and makes me proud to be a "girl."
2014-07-05 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
i want to swim like a girl too. This young lady just met the MENs B standard. Destroyed the world record, did she even take one breath?

http://www.svt.se/sport/sm-veckan/nytt-varldsarsbasta-av-sara-sjost...
2014-07-05 1:09 PM

Veteran

Well, as some encouragement (it encouraged and humbled me) there was a 91 year old woman who set a world record for the marathon when I ran the Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Marathon on June 1. This woman has survived cancer twice and is one of the most vibrant people I have ever seen. Gives me hope and makes me proud to be a "girl."

Yes, it is encouraging. Anymore, my heroes at races are the older people I see who are still at it. My last triathlon included an 81 year old man. He started the race with the 40+ men. The 40+ women started last, and we all caught up to him. Nearly every woman shouted words of encouragement at him as we ran by. He loved it! I spoke with him after the race, and he told me he does three or four sprint triathlons a year. I told him he was my inspiration! I can only hope I live that long, and that I'm still able to participate in triathlons.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Like a girl Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For the Girls, about the girls and cadence.

Started by trinnas
Views: 2117 Posts: 22

2010-07-21 4:29 PM mchubri`

I actually liked it

Started by besttri
Views: 1133 Posts: 9

2009-10-23 11:40 AM DRP

Jessi likes my pose! Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by the bear
Views: 7095 Posts: 112

2006-05-10 10:57 AM CptnJackSparrow

I'm liking swimming?

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 986 Posts: 12

2006-01-20 4:42 PM Renee

OK, now your race "likes"

Started by madkat
Views: 1512 Posts: 24

2005-05-12 6:58 PM vmr719
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.