General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim induced sinusitis ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-03 11:16 AM

Subject: Swim induced sinusitis ?
I developed a severe acute bout of sinusitis when learning to freestyle just over a year ago. I assumed this was being new to swimming and having head in water. I've been ill for a year now I'm swimming EVERY time I swim I wake up in the night and can't breathe through my nose at all, I have a terrible headache, I have to use my inhalers, I have terrible pressure pain in my ears. I began joining the OW swims a few weeks ago and it's obviously not the chlorine as this is just as bad and I had to stop swimming yesterday due to pain in ears.
I can't really keep this up as I'm ill all the time and it affects my energy and run/bike. There must be an answer, I use saline wash out religiously, I have tried decongestant nasal sprays and tablets, painkillers, antihistamines & nasal spray I already take anyway for pollen.
Anyway....can any one help,with a solution, advice etc sorry for such negative post...it's wearing me down

2014-07-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Swim induced sinusitis ?

Loops, so sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.  Anytime there's a chronic condition like that, it really takes a toll.

Have you tried using a nose plug?  I can't breathe through my nose because my sinuses get really dried out and I get bloody noses.  Nose clip and only mouth breathing cleared it right up.

2014-07-03 11:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by loops

I developed a severe acute bout of sinusitis when learning to freestyle just over a year ago. I assumed this was being new to swimming and having head in water. I've been ill for a year now I'm swimming EVERY time I swim I wake up in the night and can't breathe through my nose at all, I have a terrible headache, I have to use my inhalers, I have terrible pressure pain in my ears. I began joining the OW swims a few weeks ago and it's obviously not the chlorine as this is just as bad and I had to stop swimming yesterday due to pain in ears.
I can't really keep this up as I'm ill all the time and it affects my energy and run/bike. There must be an answer, I use saline wash out religiously, I have tried decongestant nasal sprays and tablets, painkillers, antihistamines & nasal spray I already take anyway for pollen.
Anyway....can any one help,with a solution, advice etc sorry for such negative post...it's wearing me down

have you been to the doctor? if its that persistant, you might have an underlying issue that is causing it...
2014-07-03 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I'm the same way and I use a nose clip and it solves my problem for the most part. I still get a little congested after swimming but nothing I can't deal with.

I would stay away from the decongestant nasal sprays. They can sure make the problem worse if used to much.
2014-07-03 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5021195

Thanks, I am using the spray a lot, it's possible it's not helping...it's certainly not working. Il give the nose clip a go...not sure how difficult breathing will be, but worth a try.
2014-07-03 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by loops

Thanks, I am using the spray a lot, it's possible it's not helping...it's certainly not working. Il give the nose clip a go...not sure how difficult breathing will be, but worth a try.

After you stop using the spray it takes about 10-12 days to get over the addiction of the spray. What helped me when I stopped using the nasal spray was going to the doctor and getting a Kenalog injection. It was like a miracle shot for me. I was breathing good within 3 hours. Anymore if I'm in a bad way I will use the nasal spray no more than 2 days in a row and I only use it in 1 nostril.

If you start using a nose clip the biggest problem I encountered was being able to keep the stupid thing on my nose without slipping off. The best way I have found is taking a small piece of KT tape (athletic tape works too, but doesn't last as long) on the inside of each prong of the nose clip. I've done two 70.3's using this method and it has never slipped off once.

2014-07-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5021382

User image

NE Ohio
Suffered terribly... but nose clip fixed the problem.
2014-07-03 9:11 PM
in reply to: jeetkevdo

I second the nose clip. I'm training for a 10mile swim and I was having trouble after swims longer than 3 or 4 hours (pool or lake). I'd bend over and liquid just poured out of my nose, plus I was feeling congested and sneezing for more than 24 hours after each swim. Nose clips helped solve that problem. I only use them on swims longer than 9000yards and won't race with them (hard to eat, drink, etc.) but it helps with training.

With your chronic condition you might need medical help to resolve it and then clips to prevent it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim induced sinusitis ? Rss Feed