Corrigan Sports
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 31s
Overall Rank = 103/4104
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/102
Pre-race routine:

Day prior, went to packet pickup and through the event Expo. Bib, long sleeve shirt, and bought a pint glass highlighting the occasion since I collect them. Since my foot is still bothering me a bit, decided to try some more cushioned socks for the run though I probably should keep everything the same. They felt nice later, so what the heck. Got my pic taken with Blue, the Baltimore Running Festival mascot who was on hand.

So I guess I'm set :)

Ate my usual pre-race dinner which is actually breakfast. It's now a tradition and superstition since I continue to do well the next day, plus the food agrees with me.

Coffee!! Can't really remember much else though I usually have something light like a bit of yogurt, maybe a wrap with egg whites, and granola bar, plus breakfast drink. I actually feel pretty decent and seem to have gotten enough sleep interestingly enough. Still dark when I head out to the race site and before the large gaggle of folks arrive. Chilly too with temps starting out in the 40s. BRRR. I was looking for folks and saw Stacy W, Jennifer M, and Adam H from my tri club. I knew others were here as well as this is fairly well attended. Think I saw David and Kate F too. Kate was running and David was supporting. I know I saw them a few days prior at a social I believe. Gosh, before I knew it, it was time to get going and get in the large crowd of folks at the start.
Event warmup:

I did a bit of jogging around mostly to and from car or other places. Not too much really but didn't want to be completely cold either.
Run
  • 1h 32m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This is probably one of the first running races in quite a while I'm actually shooting for a goal time and pace. Hopefully 7:15 or better and I have my Garmin pacer set for that. I wanted to try the Virtual Racer but didn't have enough time to set that up. Another race. My foot is still a bit worrisome as well as my inner thigh, but I think both will be manageable. It was a super morning for such a race and other than a bit of chill in the air (temps in the upper 40s to low 50s). Calm to light wind as well. So different than the Mission 10 Miler a little over a month ago. So as I said above I was shooting for a 7:15 pace and worked my way up through the massive crowd of folks to find the 8 min pace corral area. Then as the fastest pace group was only a 1:40, I actually had to work my way up in front of them! THIS...IS...VERY...STRANGE for me. I mean here I am with folks who have to be faster than me but pretty close to the Start Arch. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?? My M10M pace of 7:11 says No. So, here I start and stretch a bit like others. I meet my MEC teammate Nick Hetro who I know will be a LOT faster than me. He's actually looking for another tri guy from the Baltimore area who hasn't shown up but Nick has his Bib. Well, it's getting close and I wish Nick well as he moves up a bit. Not too long after that we're given the GO! start and we're off and running!

Unfortunately, not too long after the start, I was jockeying for some position, twisted to look back, and felt my right hip twinge. Really? This was an issue a few weeks back and I had to back off from training for a little while. Well, there was some discomfort but not like the Half+ I did at Antietam a few weeks ago. So, I just kept going. Garmin at Mile 1 says that I'm faster than my goal pace and I thought that I should be able to maintain this pace without too much discomfort. There were really only a few places that taxed me a bit more but I also used downhills where I could as I can run down them whereas a good number of folks can't. Those help keep me just at or below threshold. Pretty much was able to stay there the entire time. During the early part of the race, a woman was just ahead of me and I was staying with her until I passed around mile 7 or 8. Saw several of my friends cheering me on during the course - Mike S and Ed H (my cycling friend) who grabbed a traffic cone when he saw me and used it like a megaphone to cheer me on! Nice! Somewhere around mile 10, I saw I had slowed and was having just a bit of an issue maintaining pace. But, I was able to pick it back up during the next mile. Then just around mile 12, the woman I had passed back about 4 miles ago, passed me back. Wow! Kept her in sight, though. At last I turn onto the last mile and I'm getting anxious to finish. Push up the last hill and enter the final stretch on what is the horse track at the Frederick fairgrounds. As we came down the home stretch to the Finish, I was able to kick and pass the woman along with 4 other guys! Saw 1:32 something on the Finish clock...just couldn't believe it!

What would you do differently?:

Really not much I can think of. I had a great race and it was a good test of how well I could maintain at a threshold (Z4) rate/pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated all who finished next to me and slowly moved along to get water, my Finisher's medal, Gatorade, and snacks. Met up with several of my friends from the tri club and stayed for quite some time just gabbing and catching up with a few folks I hadn't seen in a while. No result available on site which I find strange considering that the bigger tris I've been in have them almost instantly on site. There were no AG award ceremonies either, another strange thing. And unfortunately there was also some last minute confusion between the County and race folks about serving beer to the racers and we couldn't have any until after 11! Well, I wasn't sticking around for that and packed up for home.

After I got home, I was on Facebook for a bit. First checked to see if there were any results yet and they weren't available yet. Then Nick messages me and asks if I had seen results, with some urgency in the message. So I checked....there at the top of my AG is my name! YES! I took 1st in AG!! Amazing! I expected top 10, maybe if I got lucky, top 2nd or 3rd because last 2 years, sub-7 pace guys took 1st. Not this year...:) Unfortunately, I had no idea what my AG award was and won't get it until about a month later (it was a Wegman's $25 gift card, which I appreciated). Again, surprising.

Celebrated with a couple of pints at Milkhouse Brewery and some great Uno's pizza!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really.

Event comments:

I still find it strange that there were no results after the race on site and that there were no AG awards ceremony. To me, these are important and also friends/family like to take pics as well of their finishers. Long-sleeve T shirt was very so-so and actually looked like a woman's top. No offense to ladies out there, but just didn't do much for me.

On a positive note, the race was well-organized overall with things for kids/families to do post and during the race. The lightly rolling course makes this a fast course for those that want to set PRs, plus provides a few challenges for those that want one. I do recommend it if you're looking for an early Half Marathon challenge.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:31 | 13.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/102
Overall: 103/4104
Performance: Good
Course: The course is what I would consider lightly rolling terrain with one of the more significant uphills near the end. Start in front of the Frederick Fairgrounds and finish on the horse track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-06 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Frederick Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frederick Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Frederick Half Marathon

Started by gravesjo
Views: 1274 Posts: 3

2009-05-04 8:45 AM Dlaxman31

Frederick Half Marathon

Started by econway
Views: 1583 Posts: 1

2008-05-15 11:10 PM econway

Frederick Half Marathon

Started by dnp72178
Views: 1371 Posts: 1

2008-05-06 12:46 PM dnp72178

Frederick Half Marathon

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1719 Posts: 1

2008-05-06 12:09 PM Dlaxman31

Frederick Half Marathon

Started by asics88
Views: 1479 Posts: 2

2008-05-05 9:43 PM Dlaxman31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.