Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 11h 30m 46s
Overall Rank = 287/2466
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 44/307
Pre-race routine:

Being from Florida and the race is out west I decided to do a little sight seeing pre and post race when planning. So me and my 2 boys flew into Seattle on Tues. and spent the day there and explored some downtown. On Wed. I picked up my g/f at the airport there and off we went to CDA. Pretty boring 5+hr drive. We rented a place on the Lake in CDA as I wanted my boys (13 & 8) to have a good time while I concentrated on the race. We all loved it, they got to fish and swim and me and my g/f got to chill on the deck and do some OWS practice. Where we stayed had a huge uphill and it caused my rear tire rub against my frame due to the flex in the frame. I read about how to fix this online (set back the dropout screws by the rear skewer), pretty itneresting and avoided a trip to see a bike mechanic. I thought it was something else, such as the BB, but pretty common on 11 Cervelo P2's when climbing steep. Anyway, packet pickup on Thurs along w/ bike pickup from Tri Bike transport. Race evening got a decent night sleep and got up at 4am. Ate Bagel and peanut butter along with a bottle of EFS and off we went. Coming into the race, I set my goal at sub 11 hours. AFter I dropped off my bike on Sat. I said based on the expected conditions I changed it to sub 12 hours. I wanted <1:15 swim, <6hr bike and around 4hr run. I did not want to suffer as I did in TX last year on the run and said I'll push things, but not overdo it if the conditions are a factor. I said I will be patient.
Event warmup:

I packed all my nutrition, drinks, bike computers with my morning bag and set those up appropriately when I arrived. Loved the atmosphere of what was going on. Got a quick jog around the bike rack area to get the HR going. Got in the water and decided to go with the clear goggles instead of the tinted due to slightly overcast skies. The water going out was rough and the winds were strong, so I again told myself "be patient".
Swim
  • 1h 12m 57s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up in the 1hr-1:15 corrall. My last two IM's were mass starts, so this was different. Went out and immediately got kicked in the face/goggles and they filled w/ water. After a quick adjustment off I went. Not a rugby match as I had in TX, but still had to fight a tad to get a clear path, especially at the turnaround bouys. The chop out was rough, but I did St. George in 012 and survived, everything else is good. Towards the end of the first loop my left hamstring started to tighten up and cramp. That cold water i believed caused it as I was hydrated. Went to the beach and did a very qucik stretch and off I went for the second loop. Came in and knew I met my goal. I'm not the fastest of swimmers, but did put some good efforts into my training and believed it helped.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps pushed a little more at times, but again wanted to be patient and have a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers struggled again removing my suit, despite lube around ankles, shins and forearms. Hit the porta potty and then the change tent. I had a great volunteer who emptied my bag and helped me rebag my wetsuit, goggles, etc.

Hurry up a tad
Bike
  • 5h 59m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Got onto the bike and it was a tad chilly. But, w/ in a mile of being in the screaming crowds I didn't notice being cold. Rode a tad cautious to start, reminding myself to be patient due to the wind. Ate a Cliff bar and drank some water and EFS. Got to see my boys and g/f along with my Dad and brother in law who flew in the day before. That was awesome. I rode the course the day before and knew once I got out to 95 the hills began. So I reached 95 and the uphill segment along with the strong headwind. I tried to stay aero as much as possible. I was trying not to exceed my FTP for an extended period of time up the hills and succeeded. Kept on saying to be patient. Ate a Powerbar and gels thoughout along w another bottle of EFS. Grabbed a couple bottles of Perform and water throughout. I was never dehydrated as evidenced by my contant feeling of having to urinate (sorry gross). I decided to go on the bike and rinse myself. I really wanted a sub 6hr split and knew to do so I couldn't stop. On the second loop my Power Meter data was not picking up on my Garmin, however, based on the first loop and the nubmers I knew the feeling. Pushed back into town and loved the downhills. Looked at my watch w a mile or two out and knew I 'd make the <6hr spiit, but not by much.

Push a little bit more at times and perhaps spin a little bit more on the downhills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Dismounted with shoes on and gave my bike to the volunteer at the line. When I did this, my hamstring cramped again. Oh, oh is what I thought and had flashbacks of IM TX where I was miserable. But it was not as hot as TX and I was definetely hydratd. Off to the tent I went. Did a quick hamstring stretch and used the porta potty.
Run
  • 4h 07m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My hamstring cramping off the bike kept me cautious and was on my mind the entire run. A few times it "started" back, but a quick stretch alleviated any issues. I then felt a tad bloated as well to start. The first 3 miles I kept it at an easy pace and realized it was about 8:30 per mile. I felt great and kept up this effort. Walked a couple aid stations to get a mix of perform and water and other stations I had a gel flask and a few loose gels with me and swigged a cup of water. jogged past a few of them as well as I didn't feel I needed anything and still had a slight feeling of feeling bloated. When I skipped a stateion, it felt good to let the stomach settle. Up on Bennett Bay hill I knew I would not sprint up and decided to walk a tad and then run as I felt this may cause me to cramp if I over did it. Good decision and may have lost some time. Quickly stretched out my legs a few times during the run. Also used the porta potty three times for a quick stop. Loved the finish line as I didn't have congested runners around me when coming in. Got a glimpse of my family and g/f who were cheering which was awesome. Was very happy to see my time and have my named called as I crossed the line.

My run fitness was there and believed I could have pushed some more. Also probably could've skipped a few more aid stations and jogged through some more while still getting in the liquids.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a couple slices of pizza and a water. Met with family and drove back to rental house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The windy conditions on the bike would be an easy target, but that's not everything. I may have been a little conservative, but really didn't want to be doing a death march or suffer to the point I wouldn't enjoy the race. I felt I could have pushed a few more times, but that is after doing reflection.

Event comments:

I loved this venue and like to mix up races of this distance and see new places. But, I am really thinking I want to go back here. I believe I can go sub 11 at CDA with some knowledge of the course and proper training geared towards some specifics I have in mind.

The expo to me was a little dissapointment. I'm not into too much, but the vendors at other IM's that carry all race essentials have been great (I believe Inside out Sports). They carry tons of different brands and race essentials that I ddin't watn to fly with. The vendor in CDA was not very good. Little point, but had to make some adjustments with some things.

Last updated: 2014-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:57 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/307
Overall: 0/2466
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle, 2 loop with a beach exit between
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:59:10 | 112 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/307
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops with downtown in the beginning and middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:07:13 | 26.2 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/307
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-06 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2014-07-06 9:49 PM
in reply to: #5022127

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Great report and very impressive race! Looks like you paced things very well. Very impressed with the way you handled the hills -- given you're from Florida. Well done, my friend!
2014-07-09 2:27 PM
in reply to: #5022127

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Excellent race and finish time in spite of the tough conditions! Definitely come back up here to the NW and race again..... on a normal weather day you most certainly would go sub-11.
Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by hjmiii
Views: 3905 Posts: 16

2006-07-17 2:55 PM hjmiii

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by Flyboy
Views: 7843 Posts: 42

2006-07-03 12:06 PM G8RLA94

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by kaybee
Views: 3357 Posts: 4

2006-07-01 5:08 PM cadreamer

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by boglecda
Views: 7585 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 3:15 PM lifeisgood

Ironman Coeur d'alene

Started by markdills38
Views: 2249 Posts: 10

2004-07-08 11:37 AM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.