Boys and Girls Club
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = 98/213
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 25/45
Pre-race routine:

As is my habit, I got there way too early. However, because of the very different set-up of the race (two transition areas), I wanted to make sure everything was in order. My breakfast was the usual: a banana and orange juice. About a half-hour before the start, I had a gel with Gatorade.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching and a little bit of swimming.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a tough course to have a very good swim on. Between the murky and weedy water and out-and-back course layout, this wasn't a great set-up.
What would you do differently?:

I have to be more aggressive about starting at the front of my pack so I don't get caught behind slower swimmers. I also failed to find feet to follow ahead of me, which cost me time and effort. Maybe I should consider wearing a wetsuit even for these shorter races.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

My work in transitions is definitely paying off. Considering I put my socks on here, my time was very good.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 58s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

This course provided another eye-opener-- I simply have to improve my bike. Though I felt strong, it wasn't reflected in my time or rank.

Ride harder in training and do more hills. Get a tri bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

My time here was fine. I tried removing my feet from shoes prior to finish but that's not going to happen. I don't have tri bike shoes and it was just too awkward. I think I can make up for it by just riding hard to the finish.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew as soon as I got off the bike I wasn't going to be setting any PR's on the run leg today. Those hills on the bike course had take their toll, and my butt was really sore.

Despite the tough bike, I needed to go out on the run more aggressively here. I have made such progress in my run training and I need to have confidence to carry that over to my racing. I simply ran too conservatively, not believing my endurance would carry me through to the end. I left at least 1.5 minutes out on the course here.
Post race
Warm down:

I stopped running when I reached the finish line. How's that for a warm-down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike was definitely not as good as it could-- and should-- be, although I felt strong the entire leg. I also need to force myself to go out faster on the run and not save it until the end. I have to have more faith in the considerable run training I have put in lately.

Event comments:

First, the excuses: This wasn't an 'A' race for me and I didn't taper at all, I was fighting off a cold I picked up from the kids on Friday, and I got MAYBE 4 hours of sleep the night before the race.

OK, now the reality. I've got to improve my bike training in the off-season and (don't tell my wife) but I really need to get a tri-bike to be able to go aero. The fact is, I can no longer think that biking is my strength when I'm hemorrhaging time on this leg.

My swim is OK, considering how little I train for it (comparatively). And I have to push myself harder on the run, because I know I'm faster than how I am performing lately. I just have to trust that I have enough juice in the legs to go out at a faster pace, instead of being so conservative and saving too much for the final stretch.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 528 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/213
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: The course was a straight out and back, causing a lot of chop as groups swam past each other in both directions. The start and finish were extremely weedy and murky, making it very hard for me to concentrate on my form. Heck, I didn't even want to stick my face down into that crap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:58 | 22 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: As I knew going in, the course was very hilly and challenging. I felt I paced myself OK and rode strong. When I was passed, which was by only about 5 people, they were riding expensive tri-bikes and had aerobars. I think the time may be at hand for me to get the tri-bike. With my wide shoulders, I feel like I'm just giving time away on the flats not being aero, much as I love my trusty Klein road bike.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:36 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The course began with a run along wood chip trails through some pretty steep hills. I have never trained for this, so it felt awkward and I had hard time finding my pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon

2006-08-14 1:26 PM
in reply to: #511030

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon
Hey good race on a tough course! I had heard from a number of people that the water is pretty icky, I guess they were right. At least you didn't have attack of the Zebra Mussels. I also always seem to end the race with too much in the tank. Let me know if you figure out how to fix that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Whitcomb/Mason Triathlon Rss Feed