General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best upgrade for bike and gear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-07 2:48 PM

User image

Subject: Best upgrade for bike and gear?
New to triathlon but I have a decent entry level road bike I bought new 3 months ago and its all stock. I was wonder what upgrades can I make to the bike and my gear that will improve performance without breaking the bank? I did get a pair of bike shoes but haven't got around to the pedals just yet.(being clipped in makes me a bit nervous)

thanks for replies in advance!!!

2014-07-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: rodzilla

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: RE: Best upgrade for bike and gear?
Aero bars, tri suit, elastic laces.
2014-07-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: Eucid

New user
, Indiana
Tight tri-type clothing, clip type pedals and shoes, aero bars, aero helmet, then finally aero bike.
2014-07-07 4:38 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

x2 on everything above.

For the bike...

Go ahead and commit to the clipless bike shoes and pedals.  The stiffer platform is more efficient and will be easier on the arches of your foot.  You can get away with pedalling with your running shoes for short races but I think your feet will be happier if you make the switch.

I would get a professional fitting on your existing bike before slapping on a pair of aero bars...ask the fitter what adjustments he would suggest if you added aero bars.  Using aero bars on a road bike requires a compromise in your fitting and a professional fitter can give you the +/-'s adding the bars.  What he will probably tell you is that if you're fit properly on your road bike and you add the aero bars, you'll gain some aeroness but lose some power & comfort since your hip angle will be a bit closed.

An aero helmet will save time.  I don't have one yet but it's on the "to get" list.

Continental GP4000s tires with latex tubes will run faster than most other clincher tire setups. Probikekit.com usually has some good prices on the Conti's.

A water bottle is going to be more aero between the aero bars (if you go with that setup), less so on the down tube, and even less so on the seat tube. 

For the run...

Get a running belt to attach your bib...they're cheap (probably $5-$15 at most running stores).

2014-07-07 4:50 PM

Indoor trainer. . . $10/mo. subscription to Trainerroad.

Well, maybe wait till winter, riding inside during the summer sucks.

Don't worry about upgrades, if your new, the best upgrading you can do is to your own body/engine. All that other stuff saves seconds, engine upgrades save minutes. Make sure you have good clothing to train in, ie. cycling shorts/bibs and a jersey or two.

Ok, that said, do get the pedals and shoes, they are a must.

2014-07-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
+infinity on the clipless. I've been on flat pedals since I started seriously biking last year. Went to a clipless setup last week and the jump in power was amazing. My first ride was the weekly group ride I join, and I had a TON of gas left in the tank at the end. My top end sprint also jumped from about 24mph to 26mph (need bigger big ring). With the aerobars, I would ask while being fitted. Also having the stuff on board to change/repair a flat would be a good idea for longer rides in general.

2014-07-08 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Don't upgrade anything on the bike, and I don't consider shoes/pedals an upgrade so much as a necessary expense when getting a bike... kind of like a helmet.  just invest in a good bike fitting and get a few good cycling kits for training. 

best thing to do is ride your bike often and hard. 

2014-07-08 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Your first upgrade should be clipless pedals. These days I strongly recommend Speedplay for ease of entry/exit, short learning curve, dual sided.

2014-07-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Clempson

Don't upgrade anything on the bike, and I don't consider shoes/pedals an upgrade so much as a necessary expense when getting a bike... kind of like a helmet.  just invest in a good bike fitting and get a few good cycling kits for training. 

^This

And.......the last thing I would ever put on a road bike is "aero bars".   Wait, let me rephrase....I would NEVER put "aero bars" on a road bike.  It's not exaggerating to say that everybody who does can't even ride their road bike to it's fullest capabilities yet.....and once you get close, get a TT bike.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-08 12:18 PM
2014-07-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

^This

And.......the last thing I would ever put on a road bike is "aero bars".   Wait, let me rephrase....I would NEVER put "aero bars" on a road bike.  It's not exaggerating to say that everybody who does can't even ride their road bike to it's fullest capabilities yet.....and once you get close, get a TT bike.

In 1989 Greg Lemond put some aero bars on his road bike, he seemed to be able to ride his bike to its capabilities
2014-07-08 2:54 PM

User image

Hereford, England
Question to the OP -

In the next 2-3 years, are you going to be able to buy a TT bike? If you are, just work on your engine. If, like me, you wont be buying a TT bike in the next few years (or ever), I'd look for ways to upgrade the bike.

2014-07-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You mentioned you already got shoes... are they "tri specific shoes"?  One HUGE difference is shoes you can stick your feet in, wet and sockless, and feel comfortable. One strap.   These are shoes you can wear for general riding and don't look strange for a casual ride, but are priceless during a triathlon.  If you can trade, I would.

I'm a fan of clip-on aerobars.  I know there's a whole thing about having it fit right, etc.  In my experience putting on the bar, even if ill-fitting, improved my bike time and pleasure immensely.

2014-07-08 3:23 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761

^This

In 1989 Greg Lemond put some aero bars on his road bike, he seemed to be able to ride his bike to its capabilities

Cool, you found one guy...and a multiple Tour champion to boot. LOL  

2014-07-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5022579

User image

Well I don't think they tri shoes but I can take the time to dry my feet and put on socks..I'm not elite by any account and I don't care much about PRs..I honestly don't even know exactly what my PRs even are for running..under 4 for 26.2 and under 1:50 for 13.1 is as close as I care..that being said I do want double sided clip pedals but I have no idea what I'm buying...maybe u guys can help?

I bought a pair of "giro treble" shoes..they have 3holes on bottom and someone said "look" pedals will work will 3hole shoes?
2014-07-08 3:52 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

The "train more" answers always make me chuckle...  The question is was not how to get faster, it was the best upgrade...

So, if I just got money to burn, and want to buy some speed, what's the harm of spending money - I shouldn't and just train more?  If I can "buy" speed at whatever level of fitness I have or training level, why not?

Interesting how pros don't ride huffy bikes with loose clothing instead of working of fitness.  They have the fastest equipment AND work on the engine.  Mutually exclusive. 

For the OP.  You HAVE to go clipless.  It may take a moment to learn, but it's basically essential and FAR more efficient.  I can't even contemplate riding without them.

In order for bang for your buck, IMO? 

Tight cycling clothes - go with bibs, BTW.  That's the other thing I would never go back from.

An earo helmet would buy you a couple seconds over 40k IF you are in earo in the first place.  They don't have as much of an impact if you are sitting up.

Invest in light tool kit and inflator.  Less weight on the bike/more earo bag.

Some higher TPI tires and latex tubes.  Quick, but expensive and wear out fast.

Race wheels/lighter training wheels.

Investing in a proper fit is not really an upgrade, but could help with speed.

I'm 50/50 on setting up the road bike with earo bars.  Riding in the drops is probably just as effective.

2014-07-08 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

^This

I have ITU clip-ons on my my roadie.  You mad, bro?!

2014-07-08 5:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

^This

Nah.....but you don't need them.  You won't be any faster in a draft legal race with them.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-08 5:25 PM
2014-07-08 9:04 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Clip in pedals, aero bars(for me they make a big difference on my roadie, I still ride in them a ton even though I now have a tri bike) elastic laces are awesome and cheap. Seat bag for tube, co2, tools.

If you want to spend some cash power meter, aero wheels, wetsuit.
2014-07-08 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Subject: ---

Edited by Shoeless 2014-07-08 9:52 PM
2014-07-08 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Montana

^This

Nah.....but you don't need them.  You won't be any faster in a draft legal race with them.

I put aero bars on my bike because I ride long distances and craved another position for cruising. I love having the extra position as an option.
2014-07-08 10:08 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shoeless

^This

I put aero bars on my bike because I ride long distances and craved another position for cruising. I love having the extra position as an option.

Be honest....what percentage of the time do you ride on your drops?

2014-07-08 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Montana

^This

I'm about 25% in the drops, 45% on the hoods, and 30% in aero.
2014-07-08 11:09 PM
in reply to: Shoeless

User image

Pro

^This

You will become a better cyclist if you ride more in the drops and less in "aero".....that's my only point.  Thanks for being honest. It's hard to ride there, but it's valuable.

I'm sure it's my own pet peeve, but I think the "triathlon community" does new riders a disservice recommending aero bars (AMONG OTHER THINGS.)  So many people can barely handle a bike as it is.  Learn to ride and handle your bike, then learn to ride it faster, THEN get the "free speed".  Triathlon should be a process.....it leads to a lifestyle instead of burnout, which is SO prevalent and unfortunate.

2014-07-08 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Montana

^This

You will become a better cyclist if you ride more in the drops and less in "aero".....that's my only point.  Thanks for being honest. It's hard to ride there, but it's valuable.

I'm sure it's my own pet peeve, but I think the "triathlon community" does new riders a disservice recommending aero bars (AMONG OTHER THINGS.)  So many people can barely handle a bike as it is.  Learn to ride and handle your bike, then learn to ride it faster, THEN get the "free speed".  Triathlon should be a process.....it leads to a lifestyle instead of burnout, which is SO prevalent and unfortunate.

I get your point as a general rule that perhaps aero bars are recommended too readily to a new cyclist, but you cast a blanket statement that anyone who ever puts aero bars on a roadie doesn't know how to ride. I'm a recreational triathlete, keeps me fit, but I'm confident I have very good bike handling skills; and I don't want to waste money on a TT bike for myself since I will never be an elite type. I race to train, I don't train to race.

Edited by Shoeless 2014-07-08 11:55 PM
2014-07-09 5:20 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I usually don't agree with Left Brain, but partially, I do on this one… Partially though… :-) Slapping a pair of aero bars on a road bike then starting to mock with the fit to make you fit to the aero bars (forward seat posts, moving seat position, shorting the stem, etc. etc. etc) is not good and will screw with your ability to ride efficiently. BUT, you can add aero bars to a road bike, just maintain your road position and then add aero bars that can be fitted to YOU, not the other way around. ITU (aka "shortie") bars are specifically designed for this.

Riding in the drops is something that everyone should do. This is especially important during descending as your will have a lower point of gravity, more leverage for the brake levers, and overall better balance. I think part of the problem is that many set up their bikes to be comfortable on the hoods, which means that they never start to ride in the drops. Once you've been fitted, most will ride the drops as much as possible, just because of comfort.

I probably ride the drops about 80% of the time, only getting on the hoods or on the handlebars during longer climbs. Short climbs, I'm always in the drops. Been riding like that since I started racing bikes in the 80's...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best upgrade for bike and gear? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bikes-best areas to upgrade for first tri bike

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1123 Posts: 3

2008-12-30 8:43 PM Oldteen

Good inexpensive fixed gear/single-speed commuter bike

Started by goalie
Views: 7369 Posts: 13

2008-02-15 3:09 PM S_O_S

Best upgrade for your bike...

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 1281 Posts: 8

2008-01-20 3:34 PM danap

Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike - Pages: 1 2 3

Started by eburg
Views: 7045 Posts: 63

2007-11-03 12:53 PM dgunthert

Best bike upgrade

Started by kenail
Views: 1062 Posts: 14

2006-04-25 2:48 PM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.