General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what distance do you forego the wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-09 3:59 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: At what distance do you forego the wetsuit?

Originally posted by reecealan If you're talking about time then only you can really answer that question. The question you have to ask yourself is "do you feel lucky?". Oops, different forum. Some people may gain 30 seconds by wearing a wetsuit but lose more than 30 seconds dealing with it in transition. If you swim 30 seconds faster with it in your 700 yard swim and spend 20 seconds dealing with it, then that's a net gain of 10 seconds not to mention possibly using less energy during the swim. Some people will gain over a minute during a 700 yard swim. Strong swimmers with good body position will gain less with a wetsuit than weaker swimmers with poor body position, especially those with "sinking" legs. I've seen some people having trouble with the wetsuit (pulling the zipper down, pulling it off the legs over the timing chip etc.) which adds time so make sure you practice. At races around my neck of the woods if the water is just below the legal limit almost everyone wears one, including the stronger swimmers.

Wetsuits don't make me any faster. If I can forego a wetsuit, I do. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what distance do you forego the wetsuit? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What distances do wetsuits truly aid?

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 2138 Posts: 25

2014-07-09 7:40 AM jbrookscga78

Shortest Distance for Wetsuit?

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1136 Posts: 7

2008-07-14 2:19 PM lisac957

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1881 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl

So this is how an olympic distance is "supposed" to be done

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1638 Posts: 16

2006-09-28 7:25 PM chirunner134

Well, I'm doing the OLY distance at Pleasant Prairie

Started by bmax
Views: 505 Posts: 2

2005-08-15 8:57 PM StartingToTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.