General Discussion Triathlon Talk » uh- alcohol? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-11 8:41 AM

Subject: uh- alcohol?
I understand I have a long way to go- when I was at my best and doing races - a 13.1 prep at the time, in 11 of 2011 I was at 184. Now I am at 214. Lot of factors, which I will discuss moving forward. definitely in a weight loss mode as I ramp up into real training (albeit- very moderate). Weightwatchers says alcohol is 4 points a drink, that is rough- considering my 3.17 mile jog is10 or so points. I really enjoy it -about 10 oz after I train. hmm, can live without it but given no more than I am training it looks like this is out for a while. (till I can get 25 or so of this 30 off).
Just in general for the well trained and proper % body types- alcohol?

2014-12-09 5:03 PM
in reply to: madoman

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: uh- alcohol?
use it as motovation to train harder and reward yourself after and excellent session with a glass of wine or beer.

im on the other end of the spectrum now, i use to love my beer (dark stouts) but with my training getting more instense i notice a negative performance after having a few drinks the night before. I have quit drinking untill my training is done or do it very rarely.
2014-12-10 5:36 AM
in reply to: slides

New user
Key West
The two sources of "food" that really put weight on me are desserts (sweets), and even more so alcohol. In addition, as I have gotten more fit and lost weight (thanks to cutting out those two things from anything other than occasional treats) my tolerance for alcohol has gone down. I get a hangover if I have more than one drink of any kind, including beer. That said, I allow myself a couple of drinks and occasionally a dessert during the week if I want. The cravings though have gone way down. The nice side effect is that I feel great and am just about 3 lbs heavier than I was in HS (I'm 60 F).
2014-12-10 2:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

For me, there is a gray line between 1-2 drinks with dinner (which I am totally fine with the next day) - but anything more and I am not feeling my best and eating crap comfort food the next day. So it's not the actual drinks, it's the effects the next day that can set me back significantly.

I stick to red wine or a skinny margarita (just lime juice and tequila) - maybe a diet soda with clear liquor. Sugary drinks and carb-heavy beer will just add to your daily allotment unnecessarily.

I'm surprised WW assigns ANY alcohol the same number of points - interesting.

2015-01-08 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

the reason alcohol is so many points is not because of the calories, but what alcohol does to your metabolism.  basically, while your liver works to break down alcohol, the rest of your digestion goes "on hold" so all other calories get stored as fat.  the calories really aren't that bad - a 10 oz beer is 100 - 200 cals depending on how rich it is, it is the other effects on your body that will stall out your weight loss.

i personally don't fall into what i consider "well trained" or "%body fat" whatever those means.  i run cause i like it, i drink cause i like it, i know why i can't shake that 5 pounds and move on from it.

2015-04-12 7:23 PM

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
A year ago a weighed 205lbs. I'm now around 165lbs, due to my training and eliminating sweets and beer. I still have red wine occasionally.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » uh- alcohol? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Alcohol and triathlon.

Started by Crank-snapper
Views: 3488 Posts: 20

2009-09-08 2:26 PM LycraCladChamp

Alcohol Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5316 Posts: 26

2009-05-14 4:09 PM denefi

fitday.com "alcohol" (an easy one)

Started by Sassafras
Views: 945 Posts: 3

2006-04-15 10:34 PM parrj

alcohol and training Pages: 1 2

Started by mikecswat
Views: 3590 Posts: 32

2004-09-21 5:39 PM jryals
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.