General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart of the Lakes - 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: Heart of the Lakes - 2014
Okay. There's less than a week until this race, so it's about time to start a thread.

This is my first year doing HOLT. I'm a little concerned about not having a packet pickup until the morning of the race - I'm one that likes to have everything together the night before. But, based on all of the reviews from previous years, it seems like it'll be a well-run event.

Does anyone have any course advice? There don't appear to be any killer hills on either the bike or the run, so I'm hoping that'll lead to some speedy times.

2014-07-14 9:00 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes - 2014
Originally posted by Farlig

Okay. There's less than a week until this race, so it's about time to start a thread.

This is my first year doing HOLT. I'm a little concerned about not having a packet pickup until the morning of the race - I'm one that likes to have everything together the night before. But, based on all of the reviews from previous years, it seems like it'll be a well-run event.

Does anyone have any course advice? There don't appear to be any killer hills on either the bike or the run, so I'm hoping that'll lead to some speedy times.

This is one of my favorite races, but I was bummed when they schedule Du nationals the day before, so I won;'t be racing it this year

As far as the course, the first few miles out of transition along Hwy 55 are relatively flat/false flat/slight up hill. After you turn right, there will be a couple smaller hills, and the only somewhat big hill comes IMMEDIATELY after a long downhill, so get your speed up, and you should be ok.

The run is net up hill for the first 2 miles, but not much, other than that, it is pretty flat. There isn't much shade on the run course, so if the sun is out, this is what makes this course tough

Packet pick up in the morning is easy at HOLT, very well run, and efficient

When you get to the race site, you will notice that there are 2 seperate transition areas, on seperate streets. As you look at the lake, the one on the right is for the long course, and the one on the left is the short course. For the long course (and probably the short) there are designated transition racks based on your wave, so make sure to rack appropriately

overall, it is great race...have fun!

2014-07-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes - 2014
Originally posted by benihana

Originally posted by Farlig

This is one of my favorite races, but I was bummed when they schedule Du nationals the day before, so I won;'t be racing it this year

As far as the course, the first few miles out of transition along Hwy 55 are relatively flat/false flat/slight up hill. After you turn right, there will be a couple smaller hills, and the only somewhat big hill comes IMMEDIATELY after a long downhill, so get your speed up, and you should be ok.

The run is net up hill for the first 2 miles, but not much, other than that, it is pretty flat. There isn't much shade on the run course, so if the sun is out, this is what makes this course tough

Packet pick up in the morning is easy at HOLT, very well run, and efficient

When you get to the race site, you will notice that there are 2 seperate transition areas, on seperate streets. As you look at the lake, the one on the right is for the long course, and the one on the left is the short course. For the long course (and probably the short) there are designated transition racks based on your wave, so make sure to rack appropriately

overall, it is great race...have fun!

Thanks for the info. Especially the parts about the transition areas. I totally forgot that Du Nationals are the same weekend. I suppose that's a good thing - it takes a few more of the wicked-fast people out of the equation so the rest of us look a little more speedy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart of the Lakes - 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Red White and Boom 2014 half marathon

Started by GotBackup
Views: 636 Posts: 2

2014-07-09 8:46 AM jlruhnke

Lake Minnetonka Tri 2014

Started by Dandy_Girl
Views: 1155 Posts: 4

2014-06-23 10:25 AM SoberTriGuy

My 2014 Race Calendar

Started by Me XMan
Views: 1668 Posts: 19

2014-04-25 2:02 PM siouxcityhawk

Chisago Lake Half Ironman, MN 2014 Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jrensink78
Views: 4420 Posts: 51

2014-07-31 11:48 AM midwesttrimom

Heart of the Lakes

Started by jpw
Views: 879 Posts: 8

2006-03-09 7:57 AM bromaui2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : December 5, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
The crux of rehab was so simple: “Eat and exercise like your life depended on it.” It seemed to take all the guesswork out of the picture and make things that much easier for me.

date : July 2, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
From triple bypass to triathlon. I am now just two days away from the Pacific Crest Half-Ironman.