Great lakes Multisport
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 57m 58s
Overall Rank = 35/305
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't going to race because of HR issue. 5 p.m. start time so thought I'd just go to watch. Suppose to do the tri the next day. Felt odd being late in the day.
Event warmup:

Met up with a friend and ran about 1/2 mile.
Run
  • 09m 46s
  • 1.4 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Storms were rolling in and the RD decided to shorten the tricky parts of the run and bike to try and accommodate the participants. A bit disappointing because its already short. 2-16-2. Now the run was 1.4 - both sides. Still had the steady uphill to turnaround. I signed up at the site so I was in the last wave. I started pretty much dead last over the timing mat. I had to veer just outside the cones to even get moving. Wasn't expecting much. Steady passing throughout but nothing too crazy.
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front of the last wave rather than at the back.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Didn't have rubber bands to keep shoes in place. As I was running out before mounting, shoe hit the ground and made the bike hop up and go off line. As I was mounting my inner thigh hit the seat and almost crashed. Rookie mistakes, pretty bad. So bad I actually was laughing at myself. Gave the crowd something to talk about at least. Didn't get into shoes very well either.
What would you do differently?:

Rubber bands would've helped. The mount was just a mistake, no biggie other than losing some seconds. Getting up to speed seemed slow.
Bike
  • 35m 55s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 22.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Cut the course because of storms to 13.2. Steep rollers up to 11%. Smooth. Starting way back, I had to maneuver through the packs of riders early. In the rain, people were being cautious downhill and in turns. Thought the police cars were setup poorly in the turns, cutting off some room on the road. Early evening the deer were moving...if one fella wasn't yelling loudly I would have missed the upcoming three crossing over. Definitely not what I'm used to with early traffic in corners and needing to slow. Hills definitely took something out of me. Haven't been riding much lately and it showed.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Left thigh was beginning to cramp so I took some time and took a few gulps of Gatorade from my bottle. This was a slow transition and my rack position added extra run time in and out twice!
Run
  • 10m 38s
  • 1.4 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Seemed like I was taking mini strides working my way up the hill. Thigh cramped after the turnaround. Worsened on the slight downhill grade. Knew I would finish but couldn't really give much in the end. Barely crossed the line and a volunteer just about tackled me for the timing strap.
Post race
Warm down:

Zippo. Grabbed water and some food and favorite cc cookies.

Event comments:

Basically did the race just to stay in the yearlong points competition. Lucky to have won....lots of errors.

Last updated: 2014-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:09:46 | 01.4 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 103/305
Performance: Average
Cut from 2 miles to 1.4 because of weather. Didn't wear the HR strap
Course: Along the parkway and into the subdivision. Out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:46.5
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:35:55 | 13.2 miles | 22.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 17/305
Performance: Average
Went pretty much on RPE. I checked my watts every so often but this wasn't going to be a long enough race to be concerned.
Wind: Little
Course: Steep Rollers and wet. A couple sharp turns. One friend went down and slid across the pavement.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 79.
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49.4
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:10:38 | 01.4 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 101/305
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as first
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 10:32 AM

Subject: Pewaukee Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pewaukee Duathlon

Started by mbartman
Views: 674 Posts: 1

2011-10-19 7:58 AM mbartman

Pewaukee Duathlon

Started by lrunfit
Views: 1210 Posts: 7

2010-10-28 6:37 AM tripletmom01

TDS Pewaukee Triathlon

Started by MUL98
Views: 1050 Posts: 7

2005-07-20 7:11 PM stupidmouthhole

TDS Pewaukee Triathlon

Started by stupidmouthhole
Views: 643 Posts: 2

2005-07-19 11:11 PM CJWonder

PeWaukee TDS Triathlon

Started by CJWonder
Views: 805 Posts: 2

2005-07-17 11:39 PM himself
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.