Race Day Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 38s
Overall Rank = 2/197
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had breakfast and got the bike loaded. Jenny got to the house and we drove to the YMCA. Talked with Jimmy, Sharon and Jon and then got started with the warmup.
Event warmup:

Since the run course had changed I went out and ran the part of it I wasn't familiar with, which was a good choice as the finish was interestingly placed.

After that it was a lap on the bike and then a long (well... long considering the actual races distance) swim to get a little feeling for the water back in the arms.
Swim
  • 02m 58s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hopped in about 10-15 people back and had smooth water the entire way. Wasn't a bad swim, especially considering I haven't been in the water in a week.
What would you do differently?:

Not have the local pool be closed for the week before.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

long, gravely run from the pool to the bike. I've been practicing my flying squirrel a bit... but not yet enough that I'm comfortable nailing it 100% of the time, so I take a second to hop/step over before takeoff and save my dignity.

Gotta practice more.
Bike
  • 17m 54s
  • 7.45 miles
  • 24.97 mile/hr
Comments:

My buddy Jimmy said he wanted to have the fastest bike split (he did) but I (and a few other guys) wasn't just going to hand it to him. I had a good ride overall, although on lap 2 a van got sandwiched in front of me and some of the lap 1 riders... it cost me a few seconds (before I could pass the van...) but I quickly got back on track. At the turn back to transition I nearly hit a girl coming up the hill to go out on her first lap... it's a VERY bad place as going out or coming in you're turning left into the other persons line. I lock up the brakes but manage to keep things together and then it's back to t2.

Be faster to miss some of the road hazards ;)

4th (me) through 1st (Jimmy) bike split was separated by 20" so I am happy.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

after my close call with death turning toward transition I was thrown off my game. I get out of my shoes in time but I've had to shave enough speed that I decide it's safer to just stop and step off my bike as opposed to my normal riding dismount. Cost a second or two but again, no blood price to pay.

As I get my Bambino off I drop my visor (stupid magnets) but don't see it in transition and figure "screw it." As I get back to my rack (actually past it) I see that there's no room for my bike. I rack as close as I can get with the bikes in the way and then I'm out on the run... behind at least two others.

Uhg. Have a good transition.
Run
  • 16m 1s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

It was tough from the start. I just wasn't feeling "easy" until about a mile in. At that point I was able to pick off another runner and figured I was either in second or third. I gave the last bit a good push but didn't see anyone in front of me. I cross the line and collapse.

Gotta get faster. Story of the last 6 years of my life.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my congratulations kiss, found out I was in second. Got up and got a shower at the Y, then came back and congratulated Jimmy on his first (successful! 2nd in his AG) triathlon. Waited around for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being a better athlete of course.

Event comments:

6 years later I still have a good time at the Westside Y. I'll have a better time when I'm first though ;)

Last updated: 2014-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:58 | 200 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 19/197
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 8 lanes snake pool. Just barely long enough to get wet.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:17:54 | 07.45 miles | 24.97 mile/hr
Overall: 4/197
Wind: None
Course: Out in the neighborhood behind the Y. It's short (actually closer to a 10k than a 12k by my powertaps measurement, also seems likely with as many hills as there were I don't think I was holding 25mph) but somewhat twisty and hilly. Fortunately I know it well, and have found the right line through most of the turns to maximize speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:16:01 | 02.49 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 6/197
Course: New course this year. Wasn't a fan of the off-road portions but alas... so these things go.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Westside Y Tri

2014-07-15 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5025449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Subject: RE: Westside Y Tri
You have entirely missed the fastest bike time by the woman in third place with the 14:19 bike split. I think Marsha's a little mad about now. Good seeing you Saturday. You need to come to Crossville for some hill work on the bike. Congrats!!!
2014-07-16 9:50 AM
in reply to: TerryW

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Westside Y Tri

Very nice race!  

Nothing gets the heart going (and wastes some adrenaline) like a near miss - well done in keeping it together and making a smart decision on the dismount.

And as far as getting faster, ummmm… pretty fast there!  (but I hear ya')

Congrats on a great race and result!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westside Y Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Westside Y Tri

Started by dazzo88
Views: 639 Posts: 1

2012-08-05 7:09 AM dazzo88

Westside Y Tri

Started by rrobinette
Views: 900 Posts: 1

2012-07-09 7:24 AM rrobinette

Westside YMCA Tri

Started by injuredtoad
Views: 1174 Posts: 1

2009-07-15 1:07 AM injuredtoad

Westside YMCA Tri

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 2030 Posts: 4

2009-07-14 2:24 PM Leegoocrap

Westside YMCA Tri

Started by djallen22
Views: 1253 Posts: 1

2008-07-28 12:54 PM djallen22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.