Total Time = 5h 55m 12s
Overall Rank = 294/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 56/
Pre-race routine:

Taper
I did crossfit on Tuesday.
Played basketball on Thurs...went straight home
Tried to be really well rested by sleeping in each day if possible, and I think it helped to go in with minimal training and good sleep.
Event warmup:

Got up about 4:30...showered...started eating a bagel w peanut butter, honey, and butter. Sipped on some electrolyte drink. Packed and put bike on car. Came back to room to grab bag and leave - Deware's alarm goes off, he is in the shower, out, dressed, and ready in less than 5 minutes total - I've never seen anything like it.

On way to race I saw two deer in the middle of the rode. They ran just to the side and hopped and jumped around (thought of AA). Got to race and immediately used a porttapottie which had no line and felt good. That is my new rule; if I see a portapottie with a small or no line, use it now...don't wait.

Checked in and set up transition area. I was racked with all the Tri-Fury people who were all nice. Kristen who was across from me came in second in her age group.

Swim
  • 41m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in briefly before the swim and got acclimated. Water visibility was zero and it was foggy as well. Swim was a time trial start. Deware started 10 seconds in front of me. The TT start did reduce anxiety if the swim start but I still had a little bumping etc as I passed groups of people. I definitely prefer the TT swim start, but the downside is that it is hard to judge your position...several times I went way out to the right and wasted time/energy.
I did a particularly poor job of sighting several times, but I did feel good on the swim.
I finished a few minutes slower than the prior year, but felt ok.
2011: 1:46
2012: 1:46
2013: 1:49
2014: 1:56
I guess I was way slower than in prior years. Deware said some people told him that the fastest people were also slower than last year, but I can't get at the data
What would you do differently?:

I think I've realized that I have to swim a few breaths to the right to keep from drifting right
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

T1 was fine. Nothing remarkable but I was slower than last year:
2011: 3:59
2012: 2:55
2013: 3:49
2014: 3:33

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 07m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was slow and I told myself not to stress about that. My eating and drinking was more haphazard than in most years. I had put very little thought into nutrition. I ate 2 or 3 pbbh slices and started the first at about 30-40 min in. I used perpetum in one water bottle and then 1/3 Gatorade 2/3 smart water in the other two along w electrolyte powder. I did eat one or maybe two gels...I ate these only bc I thought I should.
Deware passes me about 15 miles in and I also saw Jan at about the same time. Never saw either again.
At some point on the bike I figured that if I ran a 2 hour HM, I may finish in under 6 hours. The watch was great as it showed the total time...normally I totally screw up any time calculations.
With about 5 miles to go a guy flew by me like I was standing still and he had a super high cadence. I decided to increase my cadence which cost me some time, but I felt good. I think this was a good move for me.
About this time I tried to think through my T2 and I realized I had forgotten the water bottle I run with.

2011 20.1
2012 17.2
2013 18.3
2014 17.9

Train w more intervals...I think I say this every year
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

It felt like I had to run a long way. My set up was simple so it was a quick change. While I was on the ground, I did a quick stretch of my legs...2-5 seconds each, nothing major, I laid down and pulled my knee to my chest

2011 3:55
2012 5:15 (I think I had to go to bathroom)
2013 3:48
2014 3:28

nothing
Run
  • 1h 59m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I realized that iif I ran a half decent HM, I could slip in under 6 hours overall. I wasn't sure how that was possible, but I believed it. I also decided that I didn't care if I totally blew up....sooo, I just ran, I didn't try to run fast or slow, I just ran, I I didn't look at my watch until the first mile and I was at a 9 min pace and felt fine so I decided I would just try to keep it up until I couldn't. The course is pretty flat until the end where there are some minor hills. I decided I'd try to run those faster than I had previously. I'm pretty sure it was the first HIM that I was passing people in the last 5k...I felt at the time that some of my crossfit work had helped there.
I drank water at every stop, and at some I also drank Gatorade or perpetum...in the later miles I drank coke and water
Post race
Event comments:

I've done 14 triathlons (including the Patriot 4 times). I think this is definitely one of the nicest events, great volunteers, good course, and a good experience overall.

Last updated: 2014-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: U Shaped
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:07:50 | 56 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:21 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 4:29 PM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3860 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1911 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2932 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2727 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1622 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.