PR Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 22s
Overall Rank = 153/200
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Followed the standard. Up at 4:30 to make a smoothie of Pom, peaches and a banana. While sucking that down, made half a toasted bagel and put almond butter on it. Put the bike on the car, punched in the address on the GPS and hustled TSW to get ready.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, put on the wetsuit, and jumped in the water to swim around a bit.
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

One of my better swims. Kept calm and cool throughout, sighted decently to stay on track, felt pretty good overall. Actually passed people from a previous group...pretty much a first. Very pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Not a darn thing. If I can swim like this all the time I'll be fine. Would love to get faster, of course, but given this was on track pretty close to pool time for a similar distance, that is a much longer term proposition.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

103rd out of 200 here, so not too bad. The Zone 3 comes off like a dream, unlike any other wetsuit I've previously had.

Overall a nice T1 for me. Could speed it up by running faster, maybe going with shoes on the pedals instead of putting them on. Maybe just practice the movements more.
Bike
  • 33m 51s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Had hoped for better results than this. My goal was to push hard on the bike, see what i could do. Felt like I did that but results don't reflect it...square in the middle of the pack.

Starting to think I've peaked as a cyclist. This is by far the best discipline for me, but I'm average at best, and improvement seems to be coming hard at this point.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Fairly long jog from the T2 marker to the rack, all of it running barefoot through a lot made not of gravel but of broken seashells. Kind of makes for mincing little steps, which makes the time add up. Didn't help that one of my shoes didn't go on cleanly and I pulled it off and tried again, twice!

Need to take a closer look at the shoes, figure out a better way to get them on. Aside from that, though, not much.
Run
  • 33m 35s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out faster than expected, faster than I wanted. First mile was pretty good, but then I lost it after that. Took some short walk breaks with the intent to keep the pace up but instead I kept losing pace. Tough run overall, as the heat and humidity continued to build.

Start a little slower, then maybe try to build a bit. Didn't feel like run training had been fully up to snuff coming into the weekend. Plus I wanted to see what I could do on the bike, maybe push a higher pace there, knowing it would cost me some on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got into the lake to cool down, partook of the spread (pizza!), and packed up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little bit of slackened training coming in. Not an A race, so expectations wer low.

Event comments:

Love this little race. Perfect spot in the training schedule, distance is great for a nice, solid practice race/workout, well organized, good spread, good location. Only negative is the .75 mile walk from parking to the race site on the beach. Still wondering why the field was down so much this year, to just 200. Not a heavily advertised race, but just a lot of fun do do.

Last updated: 2014-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 440 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 186/200
Performance: Good
Suit: Zone 3 Aspire
Course: Counter clockwise square,
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:51 | 10.2 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Overall: 100/200
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out of transition, through the village and out onto a road on the other side of the lake. No traffic at all as they close the roads. Kind of bumpy in spots but a nice ride with some gentle rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:33:35 | 03.2 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 165/200
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat course through the local neighborhood. Winds around pretty good - doubt if I could repeat it exactly - but there were so many volunteers (mostly kids who really seemed to be enjoying themselves) it was impossible to get lost or take a wrong turn. Lot of shade, then some spots where there's none at all. Local fire department had a hydrant on to mist all of us at about half a mile or so to go, so cold it almost took my breath away but I loved it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-15 10:10 PM

Subject: Lake Lenape Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lenape Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lenape Triathlon

Started by Zekeh
Views: 1630 Posts: 1

2007-07-15 5:47 AM Zekeh

Lake Lenape Triathlon

Started by Zekeh
Views: 2236 Posts: 4

2006-07-10 11:18 AM TRIBMAC

Lake Lenape Triathlon

Started by dare2trimom
Views: 1664 Posts: 6

2006-07-09 6:37 AM kleinrider

Lake Lenape Triathlon

Started by mattwilley
Views: 1870 Posts: 6

2006-07-09 6:41 AM kleinrider

Lake Lenape Triathlon

Started by stevenrh
Views: 1107 Posts: 2

2004-07-13 12:16 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.