General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blister-proof Socks for Olympic and HIM races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 3:38 PM

User image

Subject: Blister-proof Socks for Olympic and HIM races?
My favorite socks are the Injinji toe-socks. Since I discovered them about 5 years ago through a friend that does Ultramarathons, I have found that my feet have been healthier, less likely to get blisters, and a tiny bit prettier (still far from pretty, however).

Anyway, when I do Olympic and HIM distances I really don't to take the time to put on "toe-socks", which is exactly what they are! It just isn't conducive to quick transitions. Going barefoot has not really been an option and regular socks always cause blisters. I am training for an IM and really don't want blisters after my race next week (and after additional August and Sept races) because I will need to get right back at it after the races. I have typically gone barefoot for my Olypmic races but am usually plagued with blisters regardless of how I have trained.

FYI- I am always barefoot on the bike inside my shoes. Don't ever get blisters from bike shoes. So, T2 is when I need the socks.

So, what's your favorite blister-proof (or close to) sock for anything Olympic distance and beyond?

2014-07-16 9:45 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

Subject: RE: Blister-proof Socks for Olympic and HIM races?
I like Smartwool ankle cut running socks. I've put many miles on them with no blisters. Additionally I have had to run several miles with them completely wet from having to run through water with no blisters.

Actually I am pretty high on Smartwool, or other similar merino wool socks, in general as I wear heavier versions for 16+ hours a day on wildland firefighting assignments with no ill effects. In this scenario I usually have to wear a pair of socks for several days, rotating through pairs, as our packing limitations dictate we limit ourselves to 7 or so pairs of socks for a 14 day assignment. As a matter of fact I have since switched to wearing merino wool socks year round.

But back to the original question, the Smartwool ankle cut running socks are awesome. Plus they have a "gripper" of sorts on the back making them quick to put on: http://www.smartwool.com/activities/run/mens-phd-run-light-micro-so...
2014-07-16 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Ive run in Balega socks for about 7 years and never had problems with blisters.
2014-07-17 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
best pair are double lined sweatsocks or swift socks something like that
2014-07-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: cxk9758

Veteran
I have always worn white cotton socks from Kohls - the six pack. I have done 6 marathons, 7 1/2 IMs, numerous half marathons, and miles and miles of running. lived in the northern cold and the steamy south. I have never had blister. ..until I try the $12 a pair socks.
2014-07-17 3:50 PM
in reply to: martindc1

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by martindc1

I like Smartwool ankle cut running socks. I've put many miles on them with no blisters. Additionally I have had to run several miles with them completely wet from having to run through water with no blisters.

Actually I am pretty high on Smartwool, or other similar merino wool socks, in general as I wear heavier versions for 16+ hours a day on wildland firefighting assignments with no ill effects. In this scenario I usually have to wear a pair of socks for several days, rotating through pairs, as our packing limitations dictate we limit ourselves to 7 or so pairs of socks for a 14 day assignment. As a matter of fact I have since switched to wearing merino wool socks year round.

But back to the original question, the Smartwool ankle cut running socks are awesome. Plus they have a "gripper" of sorts on the back making them quick to put on: http://www.smartwool.com/activities/run/mens-phd-run-light-micro-so...

Another vote for SmartWool here.... love them!

2014-07-20 4:50 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Originally posted by sheesleeva

I have always worn white cotton socks from Kohls - the six pack. I have done 6 marathons, 7 1/2 IMs, numerous half marathons, and miles and miles of running. lived in the northern cold and the steamy south. I have never had blister. ..until I try the $12 a pair socks.

You are VERY lucky. I have worn every type and brand of sock from expensive to super inexpensive and will get blisters so bad I have had to have the bottoms of my feet completely cut off at the doctor's office (3 weeks before I ran the Prague International marathon from running a 20-miler in the rain). UGH! I get blisters underneath my toenails that won't go away for months at a time, too. They are awful. I am guessing I may just be more prone to blisters. These toes socks are the only socks that have alleviated MOST of my issues. Every now and again, though, I will get blisters from workouts that are longer than 3 hours. ;(
2014-07-20 5:12 PM

User image

I too love Smartwool. I only have a couple pairs, too pricey for me to have a whole load. The pairs I do have I tend to wear for my long runs or rides.

I don't have a huge problem with blisters though, so I'm lucky there.
2014-07-21 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

You are VERY lucky. I have worn every type and brand of sock from expensive to super inexpensive and will get blisters so bad I have had to have the bottoms of my feet completely cut off at the doctor's office (3 weeks before I ran the Prague International marathon from running a 20-miler in the rain). UGH! I get blisters underneath my toenails that won't go away for months at a time, too. They are awful. I am guessing I may just be more prone to blisters. These toes socks are the only socks that have alleviated MOST of my issues. Every now and again, though, I will get blisters from workouts that are longer than 3 hours. ;(

Have you tried changing brand or sizes in shoes?
2014-07-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Originally posted by EKH

Yes, several times. Typically don't get any blisters until I start running half marathon distance or longer.
2014-07-22 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Originally posted by EKH

Yes, several times. Typically don't get any blisters until I start running half marathon distance or longer.

You might try using Glide on your toes for longer runs. If it works it will only take a couple of seconds to hit your toes with some Glide in T2.

2014-07-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Originally posted by EKH

Originally posted by EKH

I do always put Glide on my toes. Honestly, I think when I get tired I grip with my toes a bit! Seriously! This has been going on for years. If I would just be blister-free my runs would be so much easier. I have learned to adapt but going in for a pedicure is always a treat. My feet look terrible!

You might try using Glide on your toes for longer runs. If it works it will only take a couple of seconds to hit your toes with some Glide in T2.
2014-07-23 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi "bike socks" (they have bike motifs but are anklets and look like running socks) or similar ones by Sock Guy and DeFeet. They are some sort of synthetic material (Polypro?) and quite thin--keeps my feet cool and generally blister-free in the hot conditions that I usually train and race in. For cooler conditions, Smartwool or similar socks work well. Basically, stay away from cotton and anything too thick. Especially if you tend to pour water over yourself, they'll become soggy and bunch up, inviting blisters and just making you feel like you're slogging along.
2014-07-24 8:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi "bike socks" (they have bike motifs but are anklets and look like running socks) or similar ones by Sock Guy and DeFeet. They are some sort of synthetic material (Polypro?) and quite thin--keeps my feet cool and generally blister-free in the hot conditions that I usually train and race in. For cooler conditions, Smartwool or similar socks work well. Basically, stay away from cotton and anything too thick. Especially if you tend to pour water over yourself, they'll become soggy and bunch up, inviting blisters and just making you feel like you're slogging along.

After reading quite a bit about Smartwool I did decide they may not be great for me in the summer months. It is SO HUMID here and I look like I've
taken a shower after even early AM runs. I picked up a pair of Defeet socks and will try those. I think I may go ahead and waste some transition time at my race this weekend and put on the toe socks! Afraid it will set me back a week if I get too many blisters. Fingers crossed for ZERO!!! I especially have issues when I wear racing flats without socks (Olympic distance). Thanks!!
2014-07-24 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Several years ago I used to get blisters on most runs over 10 miles. I tried almost every running sock out there and still got blisters. After some experimentation I found out that it was my shoes that were causing the blisters.

After I changed to a shoe that was a half size larger with a flatter arch and had a wider toe box my blister problem went away. Even though my shoes seemed to fit in the store they were a little too small when I ran the terrain around my house which is very hilly.
2014-07-24 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Might be worthwhile to spend some time looking at the web site I linked.....

http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/the-advanced-guide-to-blister-p...

Socks may be a part of the solution for most people, but, if you have major issues, socks are only one piece of the puzzle. Personally, for long, wet runs I either wear Injini or Wright socks.

Edited by g_shotts 2014-07-24 1:17 PM

2014-07-28 1:19 PM

User image

Well, I bit the bullet and just took the extra transition time to put on my toesocks. My transition was still under 3 minutes and this was a 70.3 course. I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. I wear INJINJIS and I have ZERO blisters!! Whoo hoo! And, this run course was pretty hilly. I am guessing it's just fine to take the extra time at the Ironman. )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blister-proof Socks for Olympic and HIM races? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Timex Road Trainner HR monitor water proof?

Started by ericmergen
Views: 542 Posts: 2

2011-11-21 4:08 PM ericmergen

Sock Guy Socks

Started by jdwright56
Views: 1302 Posts: 7

2008-12-21 4:49 PM sbrstlouis

socks or no socks

Started by mikep
Views: 891 Posts: 15

2007-02-22 10:57 AM getsome

Proof that Trek bikes are crap

Started by zakk
Views: 1832 Posts: 20

2005-07-14 4:12 PM Jambo

Water Proof MP3 - Check it out....

Started by stevenrh
Views: 1345 Posts: 10

2005-01-16 1:14 PM adventuress
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : September 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
Learn how blisters are formed and some tips on how to prevent blisters and what to do if you get a blister.
date : October 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Socks speaks of how she made her way into triathlon by dropping a can of pop on her foot.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.