General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 week 'till Ironman! A few questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-19 3:17 PM

User image

Subject: 1 week 'till Ironman! A few questions...

I am doing my first Ironman in 1 week, which is only my 2nd tri ever (previous was an oly), and I have a few questions:

Firstly a couple details: I will be doing Ironman Canada (a very hilly course) and the forecast calls for a high of 28C/82F (which is quite high for temps around here)

So my questions:

1. Should I tape up the holes in my helmet? I have a decent bike with aerobars and an aerobottle, but a very cheap un-aero helmet. When I'm going fast I can actually feel the wind tugging at my helmet. I've read a lot of info online about how taping up the holes helps helmet aerodynamics a lot (at a potential cost of being much more hot on your head). Thoughts?

2. How do aid stations work? (especially on the bike course) I'd apreciate a run down on how they work so I can properly visualize the process.
A couple details I'm unclear on are:
a) The Guide says to "Call out your requirements clearly and in advance". How exactly does this work? I'm supposed to yell out that I need a bottle of Perform, a Gel and a banana as I'm biking up to the station and then they hand all of this to me as I bike by? That doesn't make sense... In a marathon I did they just had separate sections for different items at the aid stations. Meaning, for example, the first third had people handing out water, the next third was powerade, and the last third was energy chews. This system makes more sense than what I am visualizing based on reading the Guide.
b) The Guide says there is a 4 minute penalty for dropping trash outside of the Trash Drop Zone. Where are the trash drop zones? Before or after or before And after the aid stations? For example they hand me a water bottle, I empty it into my aerobottle, can I then throw it aside or will I be past the trash zone by then? And if I miss the trash zone at that aid station can I discard that bottle at the beginning of the next aid station before they hand me another one?

3. Should I wear my water bottle waist bag on the run or just drink at the aid stations? Obviously this is personal preference but what is normally done? I guess the answer to this question is largely dependent on how the run aid stations work: do they give us bottles like on the bike course? Or little paper cups like in previous races I've done?

4. Special needs bags? What do I put in mine? I realize there is lots of posts about this already but I still don't know what I want to put in mine. Unless someone wants to advise me otherwise I don't think I will use mine at all.

5. Nutrition? My plan is to drink at least every time my watch beeps (every km) and to eat every 40 minutes (I have a recurring alert set) alternating: gel, chew, gel, chew, bar, repeat... Not really a question here unless someone has some advice to offer.

Thanks for any and all input.

2014-07-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 1 week 'till Ironman! A few questions...
Caveat--I haven't done a full IM and don't have plans to do one anytime in the near future (not even sure why I'm on this forum). But I will add my 2 cents about question #3:

I would bring a water bottle in your waist pack on the run, and refill as needed. This allows you to drink whenever you want to, not just when there happens to be an aid station. That can be a lifesaver if you're in a particularly hot section of the course or even just hitting a rough patch physically or mentally. It also allows you to take in nutrition exactly on the schedule you mentioned (assuming you are carrying some of your own). If you don't have your own fluids, then you have to wait until you hit an aid station to get the fluids to wash down the gel/chew/bar or whatever. I carried my own drink and gels during my HIM (though I also got some water on the course), and found that really helpful. I would definitely do the same for full IM, refilling the bottle and grabbing more nutrition as needed.

I've even considered carrying my own fluids in Olys in hot conditions--both for the reasons mentioned above and because in larger races, except maybe for the FOP men, the run aid stations can become very congested and I feel like I'm wasting too much time getting fluids there.
2014-07-19 6:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

I've done 3 IM"s so here is my .02 for you.

1- Do not tape your helmet, let the air flow in. Perhaps if you're helmet is tugging at you, tighten it up. It's going to be a hot day.

2- Aid stations on bike. 1) be cautious of them due to bike traffic and trash. But they will holler out what they have. Also you can say aloud, "water" or what you need and they will let you know. You'll learn the system after the first station. They stick out stuff for you to see what it is. Besides, you'll see what they are holding as the water is a Commericial brand bottle and the IM Perform is in their unique labeled bottles.

Trash zones, yes they are in aid stations usually a touch before it starts and a tad after. I just have things ready to throw away at each. I put my spent gel wrappers in bike jersey pockets or put in leg band of shorts. Bottles I make sure I'm ready to throw away what I've drank at the trash and just put the new one in my bottle holder. Just have a plan prior to each station on what you're going to ditch and what you're going to take on until the next aid station.

3) run station- i've done both and carried a bottle to start as I like my drink mix, especially on a hot course. I usually ditch it quick as there is plenty to drink out there.

4. Special needs bags? On the bike I just put an extra tube and CO2 cartridge, I've never used a run special needs bag, however, each venue didnt dictate different clothes, layers, etc.

5. Nutrition? Its all personal preference and you're gut may dictate your course of action. just be prepared to learn forbthe future. Sometimes, less is more regarding gels, solids, etc. Stay hydrated though.

Tom

Edited by tallytom 2014-07-19 6:48 PM
2014-07-19 7:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner Caveat--I haven't done a full IM and don't have plans to do one anytime in the near future (not even sure why I'm on this forum). But I will add my 2 cents about question #3: I would bring a water bottle in your waist pack on the run, and refill as needed. This allows you to drink whenever you want to, not just when there happens to be an aid station. That can be a lifesaver if you're in a particularly hot section of the course or even just hitting a rough patch physically or mentally. It also allows you to take in nutrition exactly on the schedule you mentioned (assuming you are carrying some of your own). If you don't have your own fluids, then you have to wait until you hit an aid station to get the fluids to wash down the gel/chew/bar or whatever. I carried my own drink and gels during my HIM (though I also got some water on the course), and found that really helpful. I would definitely do the same for full IM, refilling the bottle and grabbing more nutrition as needed. I've even considered carrying my own fluids in Olys in hot conditions--both for the reasons mentioned above and because in larger races, except maybe for the FOP men, the run aid stations can become very congested and I feel like I'm wasting too much time getting fluids there.

Thanks.  Everything you are saying makes sense the only issue would be do they give water in in bottles so I can just throw away one and grab another or do they give water in cups so I'll have to try to pour those into my bottle?

P.S. lol @ "not even sure why I'm on this forum"

2014-07-19 7:49 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Originally posted by tallytom I've done 3 IM"s so here is my .02 for you. 1- Do not tape your helmet, let the air flow in. Perhaps if you're helmet is tugging at you, tighten it up. It's going to be a hot day. 2- Aid stations on bike. 1) be cautious of them due to bike traffic and trash. But they will holler out what they have. Also you can say aloud, "water" or what you need and they will let you know. You'll learn the system after the first station. They stick out stuff for you to see what it is. Besides, you'll see what they are holding as the water is a Commericial brand bottle and the IM Perform is in their unique labeled bottles. Trash zones, yes they are in aid stations usually a touch before it starts and a tad after. I just have things ready to throw away at each. I put my spent gel wrappers in bike jersey pockets or put in leg band of shorts. Bottles I make sure I'm ready to throw away what I've drank at the trash and just put the new one in my bottle holder. Just have a plan prior to each station on what you're going to ditch and what you're going to take on until the next aid station. 3) run station- i've done both and carried a bottle to start as I like my drink mix, especially on a hot course. I usually ditch it quick as there is plenty to drink out there. 4. Special needs bags? On the bike I just put an extra tube and CO2 cartridge, I've never used a run special needs bag, however, each venue didnt dictate different clothes, layers, etc. 5. Nutrition? Its all personal preference and you're gut may dictate your course of action. just be prepared to learn forbthe future. Sometimes, less is more regarding gels, solids, etc. Stay hydrated though. Tom

Thanks that's all helpful.  A couple comments:

1. Maybe I phrased that wrong.  It's not tugging because it's loose, I can just feel the drag because it is so un-aero.  But you might be right that the aero gains might not be worth the reduced ventilation/cooling.

2. A follow up question based on your response: Are you saying that not all aid stations carry the same items?  I assumed they would all have everything listed in the guide.

2014-07-20 3:48 AM

User image

Regular
No they all carry the same items. However, I've never used them for anything other than hydration. I wouldn't count on them having the exact flavor you want of let's say gels in hand.

Good luck.

2014-07-20 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Chillin

I am doing my first Ironman in 1 week, which is only my 2nd tri ever (previous was an oly), and I have a few questions:

Firstly a couple details: I will be doing Ironman Canada (a very hilly course) and the forecast calls for a high of 28C/82F (which is quite high for temps around here)

So my questions:

1. Should I tape up the holes in my helmet? I have a decent bike with aerobars and an aerobottle, but a very cheap un-aero helmet. When I'm going fast I can actually feel the wind tugging at my helmet. I've read a lot of info online about how taping up the holes helps helmet aerodynamics a lot (at a potential cost of being much more hot on your head). Thoughts?

2. How do aid stations work? (especially on the bike course) I'd apreciate a run down on how they work so I can properly visualize the process.
a) The Guide says to "Call out your requirements clearly and in advance". How exactly does this work? I'm supposed to yell out that I need a bottle of Perform, a Gel and a banana as I'm biking up to the station and then they hand all of this to me as I bike by? That doesn't make sense... In a marathon I did they just had separate sections for different items at the aid stations. Meaning, for example, the first third had people handing out water, the next third was powerade, and the last third was energy chews. This system makes more sense than what I am visualizing based on reading the Guide.
b) The Guide says there is a 4 minute penalty for dropping trash outside of the Trash Drop Zone. Where are the trash drop zones? Before or after or before And after the aid stations? For example they hand me a water bottle, I empty it into my aerobottle, can I then throw it aside or will I be past the trash zone by then? And if I miss the trash zone at that aid station can I discard that bottle at the beginning of the next aid station before they hand me another one?

3. Should I wear my water bottle waist bag on the run or just drink at the aid stations? Obviously this is personal preference but what is normally done? I guess the answer to this question is largely dependent on how the run aid stations work: do they give us bottles like on the bike course? Or little paper cups like in previous races I've done?

4. Special needs bags? What do I put in mine? I realize there is lots of posts about this already but I still don't know what I want to put in mine. Unless someone wants to advise me otherwise I don't think I will use mine at all.

5. Nutrition? My plan is to drink at least every time my watch beeps (every km) and to eat every 40 minutes (I have a recurring alert set) alternating: gel, chew, gel, chew, bar, repeat... Not really a question here unless someone has some advice to offer.

I am doing IMC next week as well.  I did it last year.  This is IM #6 for me with IM #7 coming three weeks later in Tremblant.

1. Don't worry too much about taping up vents.  If you don't have an aero helmet don't worry about it.

2. Think of the bike aid stations like a long line with tables and volunteers.  The volunteers will be handing out bottles of Perform or water.  They will usually hold up the bottle and yell what they got.  You just slow down and reach out and grab what you need.  It's broken up a little.  Maybe the first 10 volunteers will have Perform, then the next 10 water, then the next 10 Perform, etc.  Usually the gels, chomps, bananas and all that are at the end because not many people grab that stuff.  

Do not stop unless you pull over at the very end.  Stopping in the middle will cause an accident so don't do it.  There are trash zones at the beginning and end of the aid station.  Refill and discard.

3. I think fuel belts are absolutely ridiculous.  There are aid stations every mile so I don't see the need.  Drinks will be served in cups.

4. I don't use special needs bags but you can put whatever you want in there.

5. Everyone's nutritional needs are different.  I drink two bottles of Perform per hour for the first three hours.  I then eat a PB&J sandwich chased with a bottle of water.  That takes me up to hour four.  I will then take three or four gels plus water until I'm done.  I come close to averaging about 400 cal/hour.  On the run I take in more calories than most people because I bonk easily when running.  I will be at 250 cal/hour on the run.  I take two gels per hour plus water for the first half and then I will drink the Coke and chicken broth to finish it out.

2014-07-20 11:49 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Originally posted by tallytom No they all carry the same items. However, I've never used them for anything other than hydration. I wouldn't count on them having the exact flavor you want of let's say gels in hand. Good luck.

Oh I see what you are saying, ya the flavour makes absolutely no difference to me, it wouldn't even occur to me to look for a specific flavour so that's not an issue for me.  Thanks again.

2014-07-21 12:00 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Chillin

So my questions:

I am doing IMC next week as well.  I did it last year.  This is IM #6 for me with IM #7 coming three weeks later in Tremblant.

1. Don't worry too much about taping up vents.  If you don't have an aero helmet don't worry about it.

2. Think of the bike aid stations like a long line with tables and volunteers.  The volunteers will be handing out bottles of Perform or water.  They will usually hold up the bottle and yell what they got.  You just slow down and reach out and grab what you need.  It's broken up a little.  Maybe the first 10 volunteers will have Perform, then the next 10 water, then the next 10 Perform, etc.  Usually the gels, chomps, bananas and all that are at the end because not many people grab that stuff.  

Do not stop unless you pull over at the very end.  Stopping in the middle will cause an accident so don't do it.  There are trash zones at the beginning and end of the aid station.  Refill and discard.

3. I think fuel belts are absolutely ridiculous.  There are aid stations every mile so I don't see the need.  Drinks will be served in cups.

4. I don't use special needs bags but you can put whatever you want in there.

5. Everyone's nutritional needs are different.  I drink two bottles of Perform per hour for the first three hours.  I then eat a PB&J sandwich chased with a bottle of water.  That takes me up to hour four.  I will then take three or four gels plus water until I'm done.  I come close to averaging about 400 cal/hour.  On the run I take in more calories than most people because I bonk easily when running.  I will be at 250 cal/hour on the run.  I take two gels per hour plus water for the first half and then I will drink the Coke and chicken broth to finish it out.

1. Someone actually just gave me a nice new helmet today, so that question is settled

2. Thanks that helps for visualizing it knowing how it's laid out.

3. "Drinks will be served in cups" Ok well that settles it, there is no way I'm going to try to refill my bottle from cups, so no race belt.

5. You don't get anything but drinks from the aid stations and you don't use special needs, so that means you carry a PB&J sandwich and 4 gels in your bento  box? Maybe I need a bigger bento box...

Thanks!

2014-07-21 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Yes, PBJ and gels are in my bento.

I use this bento: Dark Speed Works 483D

It's really not that big.  A sandwich cut into fourths and four gels doesn't take up that much space.

2014-07-21 9:14 AM

User image

Miami
I think most questions have been already answered, but just my 2 cents about special needs bags. This was one of my biggest questions going into my first IM since I did not understand what they were for. I ended up not using neither of them, but I put a tube and a CO2 in the bike special needs bag and a pair of socks in the run special needs bag.

Honestly, unless you expect a big change in temperatures (hot during the day, cold in the afternoon/evening if you think you will still be out there), I don't think you should worry too much about special needs bags.

In regards to nutrition/aid stations. I usually train with what they serve on the race, so I live out of the aid stations + a few additional bars/gels I bring with me just in case I can't grab what I want at an aid station. They are laid out as GMANN mentioned: 10 people with Perform, 10 people with water, 10 people with Perform, people with gels, bananas, etc. at the end. I usually point to the volunteer that is holding what I want so he/she knows that I am going to take it from him/her to make sure we are both on the same page. Also, as mentioned, you can slow down while passing an aid station, but do not stop until you pass it or you can cause an accident.

I finished my first IM a couple of months ago and I understand how nervous you are the week before. But it is simpler than what you have in mind. It is a very well organized event, make sure you enjoy it and thank all volunteers!

2014-07-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
I recently volunteered at a 70.3 at a run aid station. Drinks are served in cups, but at the same time, if someone wanted to fill a water bottle, we would fill it for them either from the cups or from a pitcher.

For my races I do use a belt. I like to hydrate after the aid stations as well, either carrying the cups, or with my hydration bottles. With that high of temperatures, I would certainly want to carry water/fluids on me in between the stations.

Dan
2014-07-22 8:00 AM
in reply to: #5027902

User image

New user
you can find videos of bike aid stations on youtube.

Also, there is a great thread about bike aid stations from last summer (i think) by someone who had just volunteered at an IM. I'm on the mobile app and can't find it now, but will look again when I'm at a computer and come back and post it.

I ran my HIMs with a fuel belt with 1 bottle and would do the same for an IM. I like to make sure I can drink on my schedule. My last HIM was hot and sunny - At most run aid stations I would take 3 cups of water - dump one cup on my head, use one cup to fill my bottle, and drink one.

2014-07-22 8:10 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

New user
here is the bike aid station thread i was thinking about

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-07-22 11:14 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Thanks all, I'm feeling much better about all that especially now being able to properly visualize the aid stations helps me a lot.

...4 DAYS 9 HOURS 46 MINUTES 10 SECONDS  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 week 'till Ironman! A few questions... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

40 weeks till ironman . work on strength or endurance till i start a plan

Started by thecouch
Views: 2919 Posts: 9

2012-08-09 6:12 AM matcrawf

First HIM Next Week; a Few Questions

Started by mbologna
Views: 1162 Posts: 3

2008-06-01 4:41 AM OrbeaMan

IMKY 11 weeks till taper check in Pages: 1 2

Started by Gaarryy
Views: 2598 Posts: 38

2008-06-10 9:00 PM Ten9T6

looking to lose a few pounds before Ironman in 3 weeks

Started by nathaliemonique
Views: 1262 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 1:17 PM coredump

3 weeks till FL 70.3

Started by BamaTriGal
Views: 1051 Posts: 7

2007-04-30 1:14 PM BamaTriGal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.