General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: #5028803

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: RE: About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon?
Yeah I'm 2 months post comps and it's been like night and day so far. Training before comps was swamped by reading, studying, research, teaching, etc but now it's just research (teaching is easy for me now) so it's a lot more manageable to focus more on training. I took a break after my HM this in October to prepare for my comps and now that it's over I regret not keeping it up. I don't really think sprint training or just maintenance running miles would have hindered my comps (I over studied but it was by NO means easy lol). Just some food for thought. Good luck this coming year and enjoy your program!

2014-07-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Congrats on getting through comps!! Just curious: what area of research are you considering for your dissertation? Training can be challenging while in a PhD program but I agree that it is really important to have something where you can get away from the books / computer from time to time.
2014-07-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by gus123

Congrats on getting through comps!! Just curious: what area of research are you considering for your dissertation? Training can be challenging while in a PhD program but I agree that it is really important to have something where you can get away from the books / computer from time to time.

Hey thanks! I am working on electrochemical reduction of carbon dioxide in aqueous and non-aqueous media in addition to properties of ionic liquids (think of table salt but in liquid form) at liquid-metal interfaces. Overall though I am an electrochemist who also does spectroscopy and the fancy name we have for that is "spectroelectrochemistry"

Edited by ChemNerd23 2014-07-23 1:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Chrissie Wellington taking a break from Ironman in 2012 Pages: 1 2

Started by TriSte
Views: 4370 Posts: 50

2012-01-17 2:53 PM Fred D

Taking breaks on long rides

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1665 Posts: 22

2011-06-22 11:02 AM xine2kgts

Perhaps a silly question about taking a break

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1624 Posts: 16

2010-12-14 2:03 PM [email protected]

Guilt - taking a break.

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 771 Posts: 3

2009-08-07 11:45 AM blackledge

Training and taking breaks

Started by Bradford
Views: 698 Posts: 5

2005-07-20 5:19 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I now find that after sitting for long periods of time during the day for two hours or so my knees are very stiff and weak when I then try to move them. Do I need to take better care of my knees?

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.