of 3

2014-07-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Race wheels advantage
Originally posted by Left Brain

So, would you not agree that someone who is well trained will get more benefit (speedwise) in aero equipment than someone who is not? (unless that's what you were already saying and I didn't follow well).  How about if we take someone with no cycling training and  put them on a bike with no aero upgrades, then give them a bike with all the goodies......same improvement in s/km?

The power to overcome aerodrag in calm air is given as:

P = 1/2 * air density * CdA * v^3

So the slower rider will see a smaller reduction in power due to improved CdA since their speed term is smaller and the faster cyclist sees the opposite.

The net result is that the slower rider will save more absolute time since they're on the course longer while the faster rider will save a greater percentage of time.

Aero wheels are certainly not the first thing I would recommend when trying to go faster but they are going to help pretty much everyone go faster.

Shane

2014-07-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Left Brain So, would you not agree that someone who is well trained will get more benefit (speedwise) in aero equipment than someone who is not? (unless that's what you were already saying and I didn't follow well).  How about if we take someone with no cycling training and  put them on a bike with no aero upgrades, then give them a bike with all the goodies......same improvement in s/km?
The power to overcome aerodrag in calm air is given as: P = 1/2 * air density * CdA * v^3 So the slower rider will see a smaller reduction in power due to improved CdA since their speed term is smaller and the faster cyclist sees the opposite. The net result is that the slower rider will save more absolute time since they're on the course longer while the faster rider will save a greater percentage of time. Aero wheels are certainly not the first thing I would recommend when trying to go faster but they are going to help pretty much everyone go faster. Shane

Part of the reason I asked is because I dumped aero wheels on my 14 year old's bike and she was slower.......noticibly slower, on the same 9 mile TT race. Went back to her lighter, low profile wheels,  and her speed came back up.  The wind was no variable to speak of and the course is dead flat.  Her words, "I hate pushing those wheels".  She avg. 18.5 mph with the low profile and under 17 with the heavier aero wheels.  Her FTP is somewhere around 115.

2014-07-21 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain I think most people are better off with the lightest wheels they can find on a course like that.....but that's probably old school learning at this point.  I see quite a few folks, though, who can spin up lighter wheels a lot easier and better than they can deep aero wheels.  Again.....you guys probably have the "studies" to prove otherwise, I just know what I see....and I doubt deep aero wheels are the best choice for every course.
On 99.9% of draft illegal triathlon courses, aero trumps weight. The right aero is the one that allows you to not get blown around How much spinning up of wheels is there is draft illegal triathlons ? No need for studies, we have physics for this one. BTW, for what Jr does, the Zipp 404 FC you bought are the best choice. But like many things, what is applicable to draft legal is different than 99.99% of people on this board.

Not for long!!! 

And yeah, I knew what I was buying him (it wasn't speed, that's pretty static in those packs).....but they also avg. over 25 mph with more 90's and 180's then most people ride in 3 races.  His observation of his wheels last weekend (first time riding them) was that he felt more stable in the 90's with them.  He also said the power transfer in the jumps coming out of the turns felt better.  Overall  he felt like he worked a little less on the bike for the same speed he usually rides....that's why I bought them....it helps his run.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-21 3:28 PM
2014-07-21 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Left Brain I think most people are better off with the lightest wheels they can find on a course like that.....but that's probably old school learning at this point.  I see quite a few folks, though, who can spin up lighter wheels a lot easier and better than they can deep aero wheels.  Again.....you guys probably have the "studies" to prove otherwise, I just know what I see....and I doubt deep aero wheels are the best choice for every course.
On 99.9% of draft illegal triathlon courses, aero trumps weight. The right aero is the one that allows you to not get blown around How much spinning up of wheels is there is draft illegal triathlons ? No need for studies, we have physics for this one. BTW, for what Jr does, the Zipp 404 FC you bought are the best choice. But like many things, what is applicable to draft legal is different than 99.99% of people on this board.

Not for long!!! 

true, it will soon change to 98% :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-07-21 3:26 PM
2014-07-21 3:27 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Not for long!!! 

true, it will soon change to 98% :-)

You have no way to know that....... triathlon will change....no matter what the dinosaurs think.  Every sport does.

2014-07-21 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain So, would you not agree that someone who is well trained will get more benefit (speedwise) in aero equipment than someone who is not? (unless that's what you were already saying and I didn't follow well).  How about if we take someone with no cycling training and  put them on a bike with no aero upgrades, then give them a bike with all the goodies......same improvement in s/km?
The power to overcome aerodrag in calm air is given as: P = 1/2 * air density * CdA * v^3 So the slower rider will see a smaller reduction in power due to improved CdA since their speed term is smaller and the faster cyclist sees the opposite. The net result is that the slower rider will save more absolute time since they're on the course longer while the faster rider will save a greater percentage of time. Aero wheels are certainly not the first thing I would recommend when trying to go faster but they are going to help pretty much everyone go faster. Shane

Part of the reason I asked is because I dumped aero wheels on my 14 year old's bike and she was slower.......noticibly slower, on the same 9 mile TT race. Went back to her lighter, low profile wheels,  and her speed came back up.  The wind was no variable to speak of and the course is dead flat.  Her words, "I hate pushing those wheels".  She avg. 18.5 mph with the low profile and under 17 with the heavier aero wheels.  Her FTP is somewhere around 115.

That really just sounds like a bad day out or a mechanical issue (rubbing brakes?). Did she have the same tires/tubes as well? When your FTP is that low, a lot of tiny things can make a big difference. A little bit of wind could have made a difference too.

2014-07-21 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Probably just needs to practice a bit more - like learning how to push big watts at high speeds downhill or in a pack, getting used to how aero wheels "feel" is an important element, especially for lighter riders with lower power.

Shane
2014-07-21 3:37 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

That really just sounds like a bad day out or a mechanical issue (rubbing brakes?). Did she have the same tires/tubes as well? When your FTP is that low, a lot of tiny things can make a big difference. A little bit of wind could have made a difference too.

I don't know.....she rode the same course 5 times (it's a yearlong series)....the two times with the aero wheels she was slower than her standard profile wheels.

It was maddening.

2014-07-21 3:39 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod Probably just needs to practice a bit more - like learning how to push big watts at high speeds downhill or in a pack, getting used to how aero wheels "feel" is an important element, especially for lighter riders with lower power. Shane

I'll show her this.

I can't get her to even consider aero wheels now (she's a year older and a bit stronger)....and yeah, I can see how the "feel" could be an issue.

2014-07-21 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't know.....she rode the same course 5 times (it's a yearlong series)....the two times with the aero wheels she was slower than her standard profile wheels.

It was maddening.

wait a second.....you bought your 14 year old aero wheels ?

but seriously...same tires ?

btw deeper rim does not mean faster. My friend got super crappy 50mm wheels with his giant. Certainly slower than a zipp 101.

Edited by marcag 2014-07-21 3:46 PM
2014-07-21 3:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain I don't know.....she rode the same course 5 times (it's a yearlong series)....the two times with the aero wheels she was slower than her standard profile wheels.

It was maddening.

wait a second.....you bought your 14 year old aero wheels ? but seriously...same tires ? btw deeper rim does not mean faster. My friend got super crappy 50mm wheels with his giant. Certainly slower than a zipp 101.

LOL - I bought her a carbon bike.....I feel stupid enough when I think about what I rode as a kid.  No wheels for her yet.

You know.....I'm not sure about the tires, but I'm thinking we were all running Race 3's at the time. 

ETA - I can't believe the wheels that Giant sells with their Propels, etc......crappy doesn't quite cut it.  Lots of kids turned away this year on the Youth/Jr. circuit with really nice Giant bikes and those chit wheels.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-21 3:54 PM

2014-07-21 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Left Brain I don't know.....she rode the same course 5 times (it's a yearlong series)....the two times with the aero wheels she was slower than her standard profile wheels.

It was maddening.

wait a second.....you bought your 14 year old aero wheels ? but seriously...same tires ? btw deeper rim does not mean faster. My friend got super crappy 50mm wheels with his giant. Certainly slower than a zipp 101.

LOL - I bought her a carbon bike.....I feel stupid enough when I think about what I rode as a kid.  No wheels for her yet.

You know.....I'm not sure about the tires, but I'm thinking we were all running Race 3's at the time. 

ETA - I can't believe the wheels that Giant sells with their Propels, etc......crappy doesn't quite cut it.  Lots of kids turned away this year on the Youth/Jr. circuit with really nice Giant bikes and those chit wheels.

I am sure you read her the "work on the engine before getting a carbon bike" act :-)

I also assume you bought her a computrainer

2014-07-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

It was maddening.

I am sure you read her the "work on the engine before getting a carbon bike" act :-) I also assume you bought her a computrainer

Nah - we've got a Pedal Hard facility here.....I leave the training sessions to those guys. 

I didn't want to buy her a carbon bike....I just wanted freaking peace in my damn house!!!  You know, "he gets it so why can't I have it".  The money was a small price to pay for silence.   Hell, I had to buy the other one a horse.

Can we change the subject? 

2014-07-21 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It was maddening.

I am sure you read her the "work on the engine before getting a carbon bike" act :-) I also assume you bought her a computrainer

Nah - we've got a Pedal Hard facility here.....I leave the training sessions to those guys. 

I didn't want to buy her a carbon bike....I just wanted freaking peace in my damn house!!!  You know, "he gets it so why can't I have it".  The money was a small price to pay for silence.   Hell, I had to buy the other one a horse.

Tell her what you tell us.
No carbon bike until you do 3000m kick sets.

We should have ended the thread on dmiller's call

Edited by marcag 2014-07-21 4:08 PM
2014-07-21 4:12 PM

User image

Champion

This has always been an issue with tweener wheels - terrible training wheels since low spoke count, high spoke tension machine built wheels will often start breaking spokes after relatively few miles. Not good racing wheels as they aren't very aero (just look flashy with deeper rims and low spoke counts) and for those who are actually racing events that require approved wheels, these wheels are typically not approved.

While I have a set of these (Xero something or others) my preferred training wheels are my Mavic Open Pro 32s - awesome training wheel.

Shane
2014-07-21 4:54 PM

User image

If you can't consistently avg. at least 20 mph I wouldn't bother (yes, I kinwo that's not the greatest measure but it means something to people without a lot of experience).....the advantage vs. cost is way out of wack....there are plenty of cheaper/better ways to make your and your bike more aero/efficient.

I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity.

Scott I.

2014-07-21 5:02 PM

User image

Pro

It was maddening.

Tell her what you tell us. No carbon bike until you do 3000m kick sets. We should have ended the thread on dmiller's call

Bro I was trying to be reasonable making her wait until she was 14.....if I had to buy her a carbon bike when she did her first 3000 kick set she would have been 12.  LOL

It's SWIM club.......not triathlon training.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-21 5:03 PM
2014-07-21 5:05 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Pro

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

If you can't consistently avg. at least 20 mph I wouldn't bother (yes, I kinwo that's not the greatest measure but it means something to people without a lot of experience).....the advantage vs. cost is way out of wack....there are plenty of cheaper/better ways to make your and your bike more aero/efficient.

I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity. Scott I.

You're hired!!!

2014-07-21 5:07 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Champion
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity.

Scott I.

If you run the numbers, you will see that aerodynamic improvements will still make a significant difference below 20mph.

Shane
2014-07-21 5:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-21 5:22 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity. Scott I.
If you run the numbers, you will see that aerodynamic improvements will still make a significant difference below 20mph. Shane

Yes, that and the fact the slower riders are on the course longer, so while the improvements are not as great as a % for slower riders, the absolute number of minutes saved is actually larger.

You're fired!!!

2014-07-21 5:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-21 5:33 PM

Pro

You're hired!!!

Actually, this sums up the internet for most, doesn't it?

Find the opinion that you agree with and go for that one. Makes life easier, even if it involves tossing out any thoughts of science or objectivity.

But those are so over-rated...

Be honest, you're just mad cause you got fired. LOL

2014-07-21 6:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

You're hired!!!

Actually, this sums up the internet for most, doesn't it?

Find the opinion that you agree with and go for that one. Makes life easier, even if it involves tossing out any thoughts of science or objectivity.

But those are so over-rated...

Be honest, you're just mad cause you got fired. LOL

Is he French? 

2014-07-21 7:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I'm with Left Brain on this. The aerodynamic drag increases with the square of the velocity so it become far less important at lower speeds. All else being equal, the aerodynamic drag at 18.4 mph will be nearly 20% less than at 20 mph. Other factors (rolling resistance for example) don't exhibit this quadratic dependence on velocity. Scott I.
If you run the numbers, you will see that aerodynamic improvements will still make a significant difference below 20mph. Shane

Yes, that and the fact the slower riders are on the course longer, so while the improvements are not as great as a % for slower riders, the absolute number of minutes saved is actually larger.

I know that gets said a lot, but isn't that the equivalent of saying that slower athletes are really just getting their money's worth for the race fee?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheels advantage Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Active Advantage taking advantage- watch your bank account

Started by gluestick
Views: 6554 Posts: 17

2011-06-30 7:33 PM pschriver

Race wheels vs training wheels

Started by andreasjs
Views: 6232 Posts: 7

2011-05-18 12:48 PM Khyron

Cheapest wheels you would define as legitimate "race" wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by louiskie
Views: 3933 Posts: 37

2009-06-27 7:36 AM qrkid

Race wheels or training wheels with PT

Started by Skeeter1
Views: 1323 Posts: 6

2009-03-28 9:48 PM Skeeter1

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2669 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.