General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 36m 55s
Overall Rank = 6/814
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/96
Pre-race routine:

Pasta from Rosatti's the night before. Slept thru the night pretty good, so I missed my 2 am snack...not biggie, I ate a pretty good helping of pasta. breakfast was flat bread with peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam, banana, fig bars, chocolate milk. Sipped on electrolyte tabs in water for the next 2 hours, ate 4 Stinger Gels an hour before the race, and some water with Gu 15 minutes before the swim start. warmed up on bike, run, and in the water...felt good.
Event warmup:

2 mile ride, 20 mph, 1 mile run 7.15, couple hundred yards in the water.
Swim
  • 31h 24m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 1h 29m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

felt like I swam faster....but the I hit my goal of getting 30-32'. madtown will be easier with one mass start and more feet to draft off of. sighting was pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

messed up my multisport on my watch 5 seconds before the start...0-3 in using that function. I'll get it right in Madison.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

locating bike took a few extra seconds. forgot my extra spare and Stinger waffle.
Bike
  • 2h 31m 19s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 22.32 mile/hr
Comments:

felt very comfortable on this ride. 240 W for the first 45 minutes or so, then slowly worked it down to 230. never felt like I was pushing too hard or uncomfortable...I was basically counting down the miles to the run and hoping to maintain Watts while posting a decent time/average pace.

engage hammy's a little more I guess. Corner more aggressively. change watch to 5 mile laps.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

decent
Run
  • 1h 31m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

solid run. wanted to start conservative at 7.15, but 7' pace felt easy, so I went with it...thought of picking it up at mile 3, decided I'd be happy with sub seven's so I held that pace past the 1st bluff and tried to bank a little going into the last big bluff. Ran both bluffs...if you can call that running, but I did pass several guys on those climbs who were walking and looking defeated. really happy that I was able to settle back into a nice pace at the top of the Bluff...really wanted a hard finish and get under 7' pace...but the group ahead was a good 20 seconds and the guy behind wasn't challenging me, so I didn't push myself as hard as I had planned on...figured I'd be happy to finish with a smile on my face and not crash into the medical tent trying to break a 5 minute mile.

really happy of how I kept my body temp down by holding ice in my hands...great strategy, glad I read about that.

as for differently, I would not use that shoe sock combo again...felt a hot spot on the ball of my foot around mile 4 and I was getting very nervous...said a little prayer, and the skin stayed in tact for the rest of the race...thank God! I really didn't want to see this great run get hampered by a blister...good lesson going into MOO!
Post race
Warm down:

ice bath
hugged and kissed wife and kids
walked it off and went to go cheer on Eric, Jed, Jason, Pat, etc...PR's for everyone...great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hhmmmm....I stuck to the plan pretty much all day...I guess I could have hit some 6.50's after the first mile and tried to hold that pace...not sure how I would have felt on the last 3, but that would have moved my time up a good minute or two and a possible AG 1st place...

Event comments:

you will hard pressed to find a more organized, well coordinated, enjoyable HIM in the country...Sean and his team have thought of everything...plenty of support on the course, huge ice baths, numbered buoys, lots of detail you wouldn't expect. We are very lucky to have this event so close to home.

Last updated: 2014-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
31:24:01 | 2112 yards | 1h 29m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/96
Overall: 0/814
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot
Course: only 3 turns which is nice...but with the other AG's out there, I found myself running into feet now and again...breaks the rhythm and gets me off course a bit.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:31:19 | 56.3 miles | 22.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/96
93 rpm 232W
Wind: Some
Course: wsw winds...decent course...only about 900 ft elevation. towards the end there are a couple sneaky little climbs and some crummy roads with multiple turns...hard to find a rhythm.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:31:55 | 13.1 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/96
7.01 6.59 6.59 7.03 6.52 7.06 7.04 (first bluff) 6.47 (down hill into Egg Harbor) 7.02 8.04 (2nd bluff) 6.55 6.57 6.29 5.54 (.1)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-21 9:28 AM

User image

Subject: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by gogoSusy
Views: 1881 Posts: 2

2011-07-25 12:03 PM djdavey

Started by b.will
Views: 1377 Posts: 1

2011-07-20 9:38 AM b.will

Started by jschmitchicago
Views: 2322 Posts: 11

2011-07-21 10:46 AM mr2tony

Started by fritzh57
Views: 1455 Posts: 2

2011-09-17 11:10 PM imim

Started by runs_with_jasper
Views: 1713 Posts: 6

2011-07-18 6:07 PM SSMinnow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.