General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's snot funny Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-22 8:31 AM

Subject: It's snot funny
Every time I ride I get a large amount of mucus discharge from my nose. Most of the time it will last the entire ride. Is it the wind that causes this? I get this same problem to a lesser extent when I run. Is there anything I can do to decrease the amount of mucus?

2014-07-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: tjudson

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: It's snot funny

If it's under 80 degrees, I have the same problem. Since I don't want to get dependent on nasal sprays, etc., I just carry tissues and blow my nose. 

2014-07-22 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by tjudson Every time I ride I get a large amount of mucus discharge from my nose. Most of the time it will last the entire ride. Is it the wind that causes this? I get this same problem to a lesser extent when I run. Is there anything I can do to decrease the amount of mucus?

While written for runners, learn this valuable skill for the bike too.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/5-steps-perfect-snot-rocket 

2014-07-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by tjudson Every time I ride I get a large amount of mucus discharge from my nose. Most of the time it will last the entire ride. Is it the wind that causes this? I get this same problem to a lesser extent when I run. Is there anything I can do to decrease the amount of mucus?

Yep. Learn to blow a snot rocket. The first time I did, I was horrified that someone might see me. Now I just make sure that I don't hit anyone.
2014-07-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Elite
the desert

my bike gloves can sometimes look very nasty at the end of a ride....

2014-07-22 9:30 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by happyscientist

Yep. Learn to blow a snot rocket. The first time I did, I was horrified that someone might see me. Now I just make sure that I don't hit anyone.

You also have to make sure to apply a sufficient head-turn and lean, and take any crosswinds into account, especially when moving at speed on your bike. Otherwise, that rocket is going to end up on your shoulder or painted across the side of your head.

Triathletes are gross.

2014-07-22 11:54 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I have the same problem with an overload of never ending snot, and I've just learned to live with it. It sucks, but I've gotten so used to snot rockets that I have to remind myself not to just do it in public all the time. That's a little weird...

2014-07-22 12:39 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Triathletes are gross.

I think this about sums up the sport on the whole.

I've learned to stay way clear of someone on a bike who shoulder checks over BOTH shoulders rather than just the left one.
2014-07-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: surroundhound

When it's cold, absolutely an issue, especially sub 55 degrees on the bike. When it's warmer, not so much. The solution is as others have suggested.

2014-07-23 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Farlig

You also have to make sure to apply a sufficient head-turn and lean, and take any crosswinds into account, especially when moving at speed on your bike. Otherwise, that rocket is going to end up on your shoulder or painted across the side of your head. Triathletes are gross.

More often than not, I come back from a ride with my shoulders caked in snot.  Grossed the hell out of my wife until she started riding with me.  Now she blows them but only when stopped and down to the ground.  Eventually she too will get comfortable enough doing them rolling and will have her own snot epaulets on her shoulder.  

2014-07-24 11:08 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I get this the worst during spin class, so it's not the wind

2014-07-25 2:16 AM

Master
, California

You also have to make sure to apply a sufficient head-turn and lean, and take any crosswinds into account, especially when moving at speed on your bike. Otherwise, that rocket is going to end up on your shoulder or painted across the side of your head. Triathletes are gross.

Nah, with practice, you can fire one exactly 7 meters behind you.

2014-07-25 3:55 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

As soon as it gets a bit chilly my nose starts running like a tap!
2014-07-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

I too get a ton of snot when I exercise.  When I run, I'm clearing my throat and coughing it up and blowing it out my nose, when I bike at least I'm not coughing but I am the snot rocket queen! Every 5 minutes I have to clear my nose.  I do occasionally get the snotty shoulder/arm/leg/back of bike/cheek, but at least I can breathe again!  I don't know why this happens and it drives me NUTS!!  

Tip #1: I keep a roll of tp on my handlebars when I'm on the trainer and just let it all pile up on the floor.  I'm amazed at how much there is when I'm done.

Tip #2: I have found that a small application of Vick's Vapo Rub just on the inside of my nostrils reduces the amount of snot, but doesn't prevent it.  I'll take what I can get.

Edited by crissy_jo 2014-07-25 12:48 PM
2014-07-25 1:09 PM

New user

You also have to make sure to apply a sufficient head-turn and lean, and take any crosswinds into account, especially when moving at speed on your bike. Otherwise, that rocket is going to end up on your shoulder or painted across the side of your head.

Triathletes are gross.

Snot rockets go under the arm. Turn your head down and to one side. Use the other hand to plug a nostril, and blow. Goes right between your side and your arm.
2014-07-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by GatorDeb I get this the worst during spin class, so it's not the wind

I brought a new buddy that I have ridden outside rides with for a few months to spin class.  He's a snot rocket kind of guy.  This was his first spin class and about 15 minutes into it, he blew a snot rocket all over the floor.

I, along with the instructor and the other 15 people in the room, were stunned.  I busted out laughing because it's just a normal thing for him during our rides.

The instructor was P I S S E D off.  It still cracks me up thinking about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's snot funny Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I really was Ready To Let This Die, but now it's just funny

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1647 Posts: 11

2011-11-21 2:26 PM TheClaaaw

I made a funny video on youtube,well,funny to me

Started by jillian_o
Views: 976 Posts: 9

2011-11-14 1:29 PM Iowaman

It's snot about the bike...

Started by briderdt
Views: 1322 Posts: 13

2010-08-07 12:32 AM TriAya

Snot Rockets

Started by soupaman
Views: 854 Posts: 10

2005-01-11 11:48 AM iTRI

frozen snot anyone? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by trixie
Views: 2735 Posts: 55

2004-12-22 5:39 PM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.