General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming panic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-23 12:17 PM

Subject: Swimming panic
I had a rough start to my first triathlon. It took me a long time to get calmed down enough to actually start swimming. I assume this is fairly normal. Any tips for getting your nerves calmed down quickly?

2014-07-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: paddyd123

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Swimming panic
How much swimming have you been doing before your tri?

The best thing is to get out and practice some open water swimming.
2014-07-23 12:26 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

The biggest tip is to get into the water early to warm up and get acclimated to the water.

I used to get this way at the start of open water swims, especially murky lakes. Now that I swim in open water more regularly for training it's not as much of a problem.

2014-07-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
it happens even when your experienced had a panic attack once in my 4th year of doing tris. Just need to relax and keep on going
2014-07-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: #5029559

User image

Stop thinking and just keep swimming. I just did my first ows. The first half of the 750 was fantastic. I'm used to sighting islands and was afraid I wouldn't pick up the bouys. But then half way through my brain clicks on and starts worrying about why I'm swimming all alone etc etc and I started to panic because I couldn't see anyone or my arms or anything. I was just fine and had out swum the pack in my not thinking relaxed racing mindset. So looking back and laughing at myself now I can tell you to practice and then try to not think at all. Throw your brain overboard!
2014-07-23 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Most folks suffer some level of nervousness at first, so you're in good company.

I also like to warm up as much as I can before the start.  I'll swim some easy 25's and 50's, concentrating on getting into a smooth stroke. 

If I can, I'll swim out to the first turn buoy to get my sighting landmarks identified.

I want to get my heart rate and breathing going to the point where I'm almost starting to feel fatiqued; I think that does a lot to take the edge off my nervousness.

At the start I normally line up on what will be the wide side of the first turn buoy and stay there to avoid getting caught when the pack jams up rounding the first turn.  I'll stop chatting with other people with a couple of minutes to go in order to get my mind focused.  I also find that taking a few deep 'yoga' breaths just prior to the start had a calming effect.

My focus at the start is to just get into a smooth stroke and resist the temptation to take off too fast.  My thought process is that I'm just trying to swim as efficiently as I can from point 'A' to point 'B'.  Once I get to the halfway point, then I'll take inventory of how I'm feeling and start pushing harder if I feel up to it.  

If I concentrate on swimming a steady pace, there will usually be a lot of folks passing me at the start.  But I know if I can maintain that steady pace, I'll eventually re-pass them later in the race when they start getting gassed.

Sometimes it's hard to measure your forward progress in OW, which can lead to anxiety.   I know it takes me about 20 strokes to go 25yds. in the pool.  I like to sight every ten strokes, so if I count 10 strokes, sight, and then swim ten more strokes, I know I've covered about 25yds.

HTH.  Good luck,

Mark

2014-07-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Best advice I've gotten is just to tell yourself to slow down. You'll feel like you are barely moving, but you'll calm down and speed up without even realizing it.
2014-07-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #5029592

Excellent tips, I did about half of my training swims in open water. It definitely caught me by surprise when the race started. I started in the middle of the pack and got slammed as eveveryone passed me. Any thoughts on where to start? Would starting out to the left or right of the pack help?
2014-07-23 4:04 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I try to avoid the middle of the pack at all costs. I tend to get to the wide side and go from there. Being in all those bodies is probably what did you in. Hard to swim over and through people.

I'm glad to hear that half of your swims were in open water. I thought for sure you were going to say it was your first open water swim. Depending on your what wave your are in and how fast a swimmer you think you are starting at the back is not always a bad idea. If your a 2:10/100 swimmer getting at the front of the pack will only get you suffering. But if you start off the back you'll have good water the whole way.

2014-07-23 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by paddyd123

Excellent tips, I did about half of my training swims in open water. It definitely caught me by surprise when the race started. I started in the middle of the pack and got slammed as eveveryone passed me. Any thoughts on where to start? Would starting out to the left or right of the pack help?

If you are apprehensive, just wade at the back of the pack and wait 10 or 15 seconds to it to clear. Then pick a path and have at it.
2014-07-24 7:42 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

There is something weird about swimming in a pack. I white water kayak, so I can handle being strapped in to a boat upside down in rushing current with rocks near my head, but that freaking swim leg of the race messes with me. I realized that the problem is my adrenaline and that I felt self-conscious about being a slow swimmer. Then I remembered the advice from the person who taught me to roll a kayak. "Slow it down." That was tough for me to do in the water at first because when I need to compose myself, my reflex is to take a deep breath. But I learned to force myself to mentally take control of the situation. I am still one of the last ones out of the water, but I don't let it bother me. By learning to mentally take control, I am in a better place mentally and physically when I hit T1 and can make up time (I am also faster in the swim when I "slow it down".)

2014-07-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I also found this to be helpful. When training in the pool, I used to do this.

Swim to the end, but don't touch the wall. Tread water for 10 seconds, turn, and swim to the other wall, and repeat. Do this for the race distance and then a little more. It got me used to the start and stops that happen in the early congestion.
2014-07-24 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Yep, I had a real difficult time getting used to the open water. I panicked on my first two tris and ended up finishing the swim for both on my back with sculling arms.

Two things really made a difference for me:

1. Getting in the lake to swim as often as possible. I started going out with a triathlon group once a week and this helped immensely. In Michigan every lake is muddy and murky to the point where you can't see your arm in front of you, so it was a big adjustment to not have a black line to follow. Even more panic-inducing for me than not being able to touch bottom was being so far away from shore. Practice helped me be a lot more comfortable with this.

2. Getting in the water before each race. Even now I have to get into the water, swim out to where I can't touch bottom, put my face in, get water in my wetsuit, blow bubbles, splash around a bit, etc. That way some of the shock of you hitting the water in a race situation is easier to handle.

This is my fourth season and even at the race I did a few weeks ago I still got that panicky feeling in my throat at first. I tell myself to just get to the first buoy swimming calmly and smoothly and finding my breath. By the first turn I'm usually fine. Honestly, it's just a matter of getting in the water more often so you can get more comfortable.
2014-07-24 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5029642

Yea slowing down is important I need to keep telling myself that. I'm definitely going to warm up before the swim at my next race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming panic Rss Feed